Hanged Man as Condition of the Heart

IndigoWaves

This sacrifice of reality/time/Self...with HM in mind, what would one be sacrificing these for? Peace of mind? Sort of like a quest right?
A quest for answers, often unknowable ones (though Neptune clouds this fact), and a peace of mind that is believed to follow their attainment, yes... And we often don't realize what's being sacrificed in the process until it's significantly damaged or lost. Even then, there can still be a drive to continue -- sometimes with the hidden conviction: "If I just wait long enough, dive deeply enough into these feelings for 'X' and figure out our entire connection, he/she will come to me!", making it even harder to stop.

Barleywine

Along with the idea of blood returning to the heart through inversion, I also get the notion of "my heart was in my mouth," indicating a sudden, startling and anxiety-producing "shock to the system." Although the Hanged Man looks like he's been that way for a while and has "grown into" his alternative view of things rather than being precipitated into it, as a trump card I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. Any unexpected reversal could create unsettling palpitations in the emotional state, even though they could be more disquieting than truly unnerving. Just a few random thoughts while pondering HM + "heart."

Ruby Jewel

I did this New Years spread for a friend and all of the other cards stem from this card as the center/focus. I found it interesting so want other opinions on what it could mean.

What is the current condition of her heart?

Hanged Man - she is surrendering to the experience of her life and all that comes with it. I also thought maybe her heart is a bit numb.

Thoughts?

The HM makes me think of the Hermit embarking on The Night Sea Journey and leaving the past behind.....seeking a new way of seeing, perhaps transformation.....stepping back and going it "alone." He is in the process of becoming wise, weary of too much ado over nothing....so to speak. The condition of the heart? I think he is seeing the idea of love in a different light...a more universal, unconditional love, or compassion.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Leviosa, you owe feedback to headincloud who posted 3 days ago and to 3 others who have posted more recently.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

Leviosa

When this card comes up there's a heartfelt need for meaning in our life and emotions and feelings are close to the surface hence we are powerfully affected by a longing for what is numinous and beautiful and find it hard to attend to practicalities.

There's a feeling of childlike vulnerability and a strong spiritual awareness hence we find ourselves drawn to poetry, philosophy, religion and the concept of true love becomes important. We know we are changing but are unable to say how but old values loose their charm.

The hanged man demands sacrifice and though you may feel little is actively happening in your outside world there's a temporary state of death prior to taking one more step towards further enlightenment, just as shamanistic initiation demands a temporary death prior to enlightenment. This is where she is now in the dark of the moon, let go of all expectations and wait is the advice as your old life is dissolving.

Partly sourced from Jane Lyle The lovers tarot

Given your first two paragraphs, it would make sense if something pivotal occurred in sitter's life that has forced her into reflection and affected her newest goals and focuses. When conversing it seemed that she was genuinely doing well and was also well connected.

At the same time..I feel it is possible that she's putting on a facade. This is where I just don't know because she may very well be on her way to a more enlightened Self. Given that my initial reaction upon drawing this was positive, I'm inclined to agree with what you've said!

Leviosa

With 0 surrounding cards and just stand alone meaning. I would read HM as promising a connection with the understanding of compassionate distance. That is, someone who is willing to wait until the conditions are correct... the ship is righted... or even prolonging the waiting period to see even if ultimately the situation does not change and still requires disconnect... it's patience with intent to resolve the union... so not necessarily love, could be family member, could be someone who has wronged you and you wait to see if they change their ways and give them the benefit of the doubt (renewed focus).... usually a self-imposed sense of waiting for the right moment and also willing to accept if/when that moment never comes. With the understanding when the state is complete, everything will be as it should.

The card was drawn upright as I do not read reversals :) So sitter is in no rush (generally speaking). Meaning that she has a calmness about her but there is still an awareness involved. Sounds like this could be so given what I know about her. I'm also glad you mentioned that it's not necessarily love. I believe there are things affecting sitter's heart that are far removed from romantic love.

Leviosa

The HM makes me think of the Hermit embarking on The Night Sea Journey and leaving the past behind.....seeking a new way of seeing, perhaps transformation.....stepping back and going it "alone." He is in the process of becoming wise, weary of too much ado over nothing....so to speak. The condition of the heart? I think he is seeing the idea of love in a different light...a more universal, unconditional love, or compassion.

Glad to see more positive interpretations being given because my first thought was similar to this. I hope this is true for sitter and there is a great possibility that this is the case. I never associate the Hermit with HM before but I do see now that they have solitude in common. It's represented in different forms but present nonetheless.

Leviosa

A quest for answers, often unknowable ones (though Neptune clouds this fact), and a peace of mind that is believed to follow their attainment, yes... And we often don't realize what's being sacrificed in the process until it's significantly damaged or lost. Even then, there can still be a drive to continue -- sometimes with the hidden conviction: "If I just wait long enough, dive deeply enough into these feelings for 'X' and figure out our entire connection, he/she will come to me!", making it even harder to stop.

Along with the idea of blood returning to the heart through inversion, I also get the notion of "my heart was in my mouth," indicating a sudden, startling and anxiety-producing "shock to the system." Although the Hanged Man looks like he's been that way for a while and has "grown into" his alternative view of things rather than being precipitated into it, as a trump card I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. Any unexpected reversal could create unsettling palpitations in the emotional state, even though they could be more disquieting than truly unnerving. Just a few random thoughts while pondering HM + "heart."

Indigo and Barleywine...what you two have said makes sense now. Sitter was cheated on. It surely turned her 'upside down' and as Barley said "shocked the system". I was leaning towards a rather positive interpretation from this card and that has adjusted a bit for me. Now I am wondering if rather, sitter's perspective on love has just been changed for the worse and may take much time/effort/healing to turn back around. I only hope that the HM in turn may also then be saying that she IS trying to turn it back around and is taking this time to do so.

Goes to show the duality and can't interpret a card as wholly positive or negative. There must be a bright side as well as a shadow side regarding the condition of sitter's heart as of late.