Marriage partner

meatbox666

Can one tell the most likely marriage partner by looking at the sign Mars? I understand Mars is the planet of matrimony. If one has a Gemini in Mars, would they marry a Gemini. I understand one's moon signs determins what one needs? An example would be Moon in Taurus. That means they would need the energy of a Taurus but their Mars in Gemini causes them to marry a Gemini?

How can one tell marriage partners using astrology?

Minderwiz

Trying to predict a marriage partner is by no means easy - however it is possible to look at compatibility. This really involves looking at the personal planets in each chart - Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus and Mars - Venus' position tends to show how we love and relate to others and Mars tends to indicate our action and assertion - including sex drive. Venus is more related to marriage than Mars as its the planet of relationships and the natural ruler of the seventh House of marriage.

The Moon represents our receptive, passive, unconscious needs and our emotions - the way we react instinctively. It can also represent our mother or perception of our mother - it is therefore also linked to the way in which we nurture. From an Astrological view it is sometimes said that Men are attracted to women who have a strong link to their (man's) Moon sign by sign and house. In that sense a male may feel that they 'need' a partner who mirrors their Moon sign.

This approach says that for women the Sun position by sign and house signifies the men to whom they are attracted.

However even this is far too simple an approach. We need to compare the chart placements not just of Sun or Moon but all the personal planets as a minimum. We also need to look at the fifth House and its ruler (romance) and the seventh house and its ruler(marriage) plus the Ascendant and at least all major aspects between the personal planets of one partner and the planetary placements of the other - its a complex approach but it works well.

tehuti

I would want to look at aspects between the outer planets of one individual and personal planets of the other too.

Minderwiz

Yes I agree tehuti,

I should have been a little more precise in my last paragraph and said ALL the planetary placements of the other,

Royal Cat

Ok, a warning first: my knowledge of astrology is very limited! So I apologize if this sounds like a very juvenile question.
When I look at 'freebie' sun sign readings online they always declare that my husband and I are not romantically compatible... but we ARE! I can hardly see how anyone could be a better match for me. I'm curious to learn where I should be looking to find out more about the way we relate to each other. I have both of our charts from astro.com I've looked at what we each have in the 5th and 7th houses... but I'm not exactly sure what to look for? His sun sign in my 5th? My moon sign in his 7th?
Anyone care to tell me *in very simple language*? :)

Thanks
Cat

tehuti

Hi Cat,

There's loads to look for, and then you need to synthesize it all down into a story. Looking at Sun signs only gives you part of the story, because the way you live your Sun will be modified by all the other elements of the chart.

First, you look at how the two individual charts interact. I tend to look more at what is happening with the planets than at the houses. Aspects to the Sun, Moon and Venus of each individual chart are important. Saturn can be very important. If Saturn from one chart forms an aspect to a personal planet in the other chart, that is an indication of stability and of the personal discipline that is needed to keep a relationship going. However, Saturn is also the planet of restriction and of saying No. So a bad aspect of Saturn with the other person's Venus, for example, is going to throw up obstacles to the relationship. Aspects between personal planets of one chart and the outer planets, especially Pluto, of the other chart can also be important. These sorts of aspects often make the people concerned feel that the relationship was fated long before they met.

Then you can look at a combined chart, which takes the midpoints of all the planets in the two individual charts. This is, in effect, the chart of the relationship seen as an entity in itself.

To all this, I add a study of the individual charts. This is where I tend to pay more attention to houses. The fifth is about flirting, romance and instant attraction. The seventh is about the establishment of relationships. The eighth is about long-term relationships, marriage and also sex. I also look at the second house, because issues about money can so often be obstacles to a good relationship.

To be honest, analysing a relationship is not easy. It takes me many hours to prepare such a report.

Minderwiz

I tend to start from the element balance of each person, and then move on to a view of their 'psychology' - an individual reading. It's difficult to talk about compatibility unless you have a view of each person.

I would then move on and follow a procedure something like tehuti's - except that I would probably give more importance to the houses or at least the first, fourth, fifth, seventh and tenth. For example my wife's Sun is in my fifth House of romance and my Sun is in her fifth House. Her Venus is conjunct my Jupiter in the fourth house of home and family.

What matters on planetary contacts is do they point to a meaningful relationship - all personal planets are important here, including any aspects they make or receive to the outer planets. If there is little contact between each persons planets then they are likely to find it difficult to interact with each other - they will feel that they have 'little point of contact' with each other. The contacts don't have to be all easy aspects such as trines and sextiles - squares and oppositions can produce the dynamics of the relationship - the drive that makes it work. What you are looking for is a reasonable balance of easy and hard aspects. If the relationship is to last then the partners have to work at it and squares and oppostions can ensure that they do but they also need to feel comfortable with each other and have some contact, not just in terms of Venus (love) and Mars (sex) but also Mercury - they need to be able to communicate with each other (my wife's Moon trines my Mercury).

As tehuti says Saturn can be important to stability and relationship builiding. My wife's Saturn trines both my Sun and Moon - whilst it isn't a particularly romantic contact it does bring stability and practicality to the relationship - we tend to rely on each other.

This is only scratching the surface but the point is that your original observation is quite correct. Compatibility based on Sun signs is very dubious to say the least - however in order to assess compatibility there is a lot of analysis to do.

Royal Cat

Thank you Tahuti and Minderwiz for your help!
I went back to astro.com and did a "partner report." They use a composite midpoint method for relationships. This wasn't something that either of you mentioned... is it common?

Here are some of the composites that came up:
Sun in the First House
Composite Sun in the first house often signifies a relationship that is unusually important in terms of your own lives.

Moon in the Tenth House
The composite Moon in the tenth house indicates that you will share a concern for getting ahead in life. You both want to get somewhere, and you feel that together you can do it better than you could separately.

Mercury Conjunct Ascendant
The conjunction of composite Mercury and Ascendant signifies a relationship in which communication and shared ideas are very important.

Venus in the First House
Composite Venus in the first house signifies a relationship that is based on love and affection.

There was a longer description for each of these, but I only copied the first little bit. Overall it sounded fairly accurate. Now I just have to sit down and figure out the rest of it that they don't show you (unless you pay!) :)

Cat

lunalafey

ALL THOSE TECHNICAL TERMS!!!

qoute
Royal Cat "...I went back to astro.com and did a "partner report." They use a composite midpoint method for relationships. This wasn't something that either of you mentioned... is it common?"

tehuti".... you can look at a combined chart, which takes the midpoints of all the planets in the two individual charts. This is, in effect, the chart of the relationship seen as an entity in itself."

Common?...yes...

Royal Cat.... it can be quite confussing at times. I have been reading up for three years now and some things just did not make any sense...too much info....so now I'm taking a step back and adding in all those thing that I have since come to understand.....so how did the midpoint/composit chart relate?

Royal Cat

Re: ALL THOSE TECHNICAL TERMS!!!

lunalafey said:
qoute
Royal Cat "...I went back to astro.com and did a "partner report." They use a composite midpoint method for relationships. This wasn't something that either of you mentioned... is it common?"

tehuti".... you can look at a combined chart, which takes the midpoints of all the planets in the two individual charts. This is, in effect, the chart of the relationship seen as an entity in itself."

oops! Sorry, I should have read more carefully before posting. :p

I'm thankful for all the help and patience here on Aeclectic. There is so much to learn!

Cat