The Ladies' Coleman Smith

mabcosmic

I just got done posting a prototype card of "The Sun" on my blog. It uses public domain textures only and the colors turned out a LOT bolder than I intended it to. Still, I think it's pretty good for an art class flunkie using MS Paint (I have yet to master GIMP).

http://mabcosmic.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-sun.html

gregory

I don't see it as a failed art class work. BUT - I don't see it as any more feminine/less masculine - and the child actually looks as if he has a nasty skin disease, to be blunt. I realise it's supposed to look like marble - but it is hard to see a child in that kind of pose as a statue - you don't get a horse willing to carry a slab of marble that size, either - so that isn't the way it comes across. Sorry to be blunt.

As a more general question - how does marble make it more feminine or acceptable ? Michelangelo's David is marble and rather masculine....

MaeWasteland

I don't see it as a failed art class work. BUT - I don't see it as any more feminine/less masculine - and the child actually looks as if he has a nasty skin disease, to be blunt. I realise it's supposed to look like marble - but it is hard to see a child in that kind of pose as a statue - you don't get a horse willing to carry a slab of marble that size, either - so that isn't the way it comes across. Sorry to be blunt.

As a more general question - how does marble make it more feminine or acceptable ? Michelangelo's David is marble and rather masculine....

IDGI either, my teen saw it and asked if the baby was a Twilight vampire. I'm also not entirely sure, given how overwhelmingly white most Tarot decks, RWS/PCS decks included are, that making the human figures *literally* white (with grey speckly bits) is supposed to be an improvement :/ (ETA) I also think making something look like it's actually carved of marble may be a more involved process than pasting a marble texture onto it?

I don't mean to be discouraging, I just... don't entirely get what you're aiming at, and 'dark, soft, mystical' - I'm not sure how those go together to form a coherent style, or how it's represented in this prototype. Have you done anything like a vision board of the types of art style you're feeling inspired by? (ETA) I think that might help (if you feel comfortable sharing) us to get an idea of what you're aiming for.

reall

@MaeWasteland ha ha! I'm with your baby here!^^ my first idea was OMG! GRAY!X,X not sun color at all!x,x lolz

and *reptilian* is not something I associate with ladylike/femine imo that would be more gentle color pallet like cotton candy MLP!x,x XD :))
and this is more dark reminds me on albano waite?x,x ;))

GlitterNova

Just as a little note, US Games holds the copyright for the RWS and generally enforces it pretty heavily. Seeing as you're recoloring the original cards but leaving the original linework I don't believe you'd be able to publish this deck as it is. Just so you know! :)

mabcosmic

I don't mean to be discouraging, I just... don't entirely get what you're aiming at, and 'dark, soft, mystical' - I'm not sure how those go together to form a coherent style, or how it's represented in this prototype. Have you done anything like a vision board of the types of art style you're feeling inspired by? (ETA) I think that might help (if you feel comfortable sharing) us to get an idea of what you're aiming for.

Mmhmm.

The prototype was meant to use the original RW coloring, to give a general "idea" of what I was going for - use of textures as opposed to flat color.

The next step would be to create another version of "The Sun" card and compare the two in contrast to masculine and feminine energies.

mabcosmic

Just as a little note, US Games holds the copyright for the RWS and generally enforces it pretty heavily. Seeing as you're recoloring the original cards but leaving the original linework I don't believe you'd be able to publish this deck as it is. Just so you know! :)

This is something that was supposed to be something to do for fun, as something positive and artsy. However, I'm dubious as to whether US games can "own" the outlines of the cards, considering that their copyrighted RW is just a re-colored derivative of the 1910 work anyway.

mabcosmic

@MaeWasteland ha ha! I'm with your baby here!^^ my first idea was OMG! GRAY!X,X not sun color at all!x,x lolz

and *reptilian* is not something I associate with ladylike/femine imo that would be more gentle color pallet like cotton candy MLP!x,x XD :))
and this is more dark reminds me on albano waite?x,x ;))

Um, the reptilian suggestion was only put there to show that I am willing to have fun with the project, not as a serious goal.

rylla

Dark, soft and mystical theme, excecuted with sparkles and fashion?

Good luck with your project, any attempt to create a 78 cards deck is admirible (it isn't a small task).

Dark, soft, mystical, sparkle - I can imagine. Added fashion brings one back in the 21th century - I can't imagine something to be mystical and modern in the same time - but I am hoping you are going to prove me wrong.

mabcosmic

Good luck with your project, any attempt to create a 78 cards deck is admirible (it isn't a small task).

Dark, soft, mystical, sparkle - I can imagine. Added fashion brings one back in the 21th century - I can't imagine something to be mystical and modern in the same time - but I am hoping you are going to prove me wrong.

Thanks for your input! Since I'm working with public domain resources, I'm doubtful that the deck I imagine in my mind can be translated into the digital format I was hoping it would. That's my main struggle with artwork in general, the image I have in my head can't seem to get on paper (or bitmap, take your pick lol).