Universal Fantasy - Knight of Swords

thorhammer

I love in this card how there's a real sense of gusting wind - the banners are flying one way, her hair the other, and the horse's mane is only just being tossed. It's interesting, in this deck, how the notion of movement is not used as obviously in the Knights as it is in other RWS decks, especially the RWS itself. Both the Knights of Pents and Wands are stationary, and the only Knight moving at speed is the Knight of Chalices.

Our Knight of Swords is a lady, too, which is, needless to say, unusual. She holds her Sword in her left hand - the intuitive side. This, as well as her femininity, tell me that the artist was trying to make a point about melding intuition and logic, or only wielding logic at the behest of one's intuitive knowledge.

Whose banners are those anyway? They're all different . . . do they represent the opinions and interests of other parties? Does this Knight stand for those people? That would make sense, sort of, implying a political sort of occupation. I can't help but think of Joan of Arc, looking at her. The wings on her helmet recall Mercury, the God of communication and messages, which reinforces the idea that she's an emissary. Her sword-point is lowered - she comes in peace, but armed and not afraid to use her weapon if necessary. Her horse - that which motivates and moves her - is alert, watchful and eager, but obedient to the will of its mistress, who holds it by will alone, not a tight rein. (Good horsemanship, that :D).

Her ornate armour signifies barriers she's built up to protect herself from the world. But her hair is loose, and I think that symbolises the innate immaturity of the Knights.

\m/ Kat

Queen of Disks

The Knight is on the outside of a wall (the flags are behind it), and I get the feeling she is going somewhere to deliver a message. Perhaps to another kingdom. The Knight has the knowhow and the gear (I love her armor) to get the job done, but she may not have the experience yet to see it through to the end.

Rede Seeker

A Knight as Messenger?

Messenger is more appropriate to the Page/Knave card. But looking at the Knave of Swords - he doesn't look like a herald, either. He looks like someone's idea of a warrior while the Knight of Swords looks more like a warrior in a civilized army. She plays her part.

That's the rede I have for these cards. The untested/uninitiated lone warrior in the Knave card; the assimilated warrior in the Knight card. She doesn't act alone, thus she represents unity in numbers. Perhaps her might is for show not true combat. I can't tell from the card. She appears ready and able to fight, but she doesn't control the situation. Someone else directs the army of which she is one piece. For all her armored might, she has surrendered some part of herself to become part of something she considered more important than herself alone. I rede her half-hidden face as concealing her true feelinga about her situation.

Swords tend towards unhappiness. I get that vibe from this card. Her armor imprisons her as much as it protects her. The male Knave of Swords is less armored and therefore more vulnerable.

elvenstar

I love your thoughts about this card Rede Seeker.

The untested/uninitiated lone warrior in the Knave card; the assimilated warrior in the Knight card. She doesn't act alone, thus she represents unity in numbers.
I had never thought about it this way, but it makes a lot of sense. In a way, the page seems a bit bloodthirsty, but perhaps that's because he doesn't really have battle experience. She does and knows the dark sides of conflict, the pain and suffering that goes with it. Nevertheless she is determined.

The vulnerability is strangely enough expressed in this card by the armour. It's big and prominent, as if she wants to hide her true self. It's emotional vulnerability, disguised behind her skill and might in battle. Like Rede Seeker said, 'her armour imprisons her as much as it protects her'. I see it the same way.

What is she doing there? What is her part in this conflict? Sometimes it seems to me the large army is waiting for her signal to march, she sits on her horse and ponders, reluctant to raise her sword and give the signal. Other times I see her as a lonely mercenary, cynical and fiercely independent. This is not her struggle, but it is how she makes a living, doing the dirty job that someone needs to do.

Why is she the only female knight? I've often wondered about that. And she is the only one that actually looks like one, horse, armour and all. The Swords knight is in some ways the most cruel, uncontrolled and unpredictable. A beautiful and deceptively fragile looking woman makes a great contrast to the battle scene...

Shuvano

This particular card reminds me of Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc) and her archetype. For me, when I see this card and the traits associated with Joan I get listening to your inner-voice, fighting injustice, being able to be yourself despite cultural norms and putting your faith into action.

thorhammer

Nice take, Shuvano! Welcome to the group, and thankyou so much for sharing that. I absolutely see what you're about, and yes, agree very much. Thanks again.

\m/ Kat