Study of the Marseille pips 2 of swords summary

Mimers

Posted by jmd on 24-03-2003 23:04:

Here, the swords are clearly both curved (why!? does this provide us with some information about their provenance, given the straightness of swords in European practice?).

Posted by Diana on 25-03-2003 08:35:

Look at the two of Swords. Do you see that absolutely amazing flower in the middle? What could it mean?

Posted by ihcoyc on 27-03-2003 20:28:

Also: the 2 of Swords: how do you interpret the two objects that are there? My Ancient Italian doubles the number of swords, making the design in each corner a hilt and having two curving blades, like a scimitar, curving up to meet in the centre line, so there are four swords on the 2 of Swords and so forth. What is the origin of this particular convention? On the Visconti Gold the swords are all as straight as Wands, but have recognisable hilts on one end and points on the other.

Posted by Diana on 28-03-2003 14:56:

Now, the 2 of Swords. And their shape. I read that the rounded swords are called "symbolic swords" and that the vertical, straight ones are called "concrete swords". I do not know what is meant by this. Does anyone have an idea? So the pairs only have symbolic swords and the odd numbers have concrete and symbolic swords.

When I look at the two of Swords, I see first that very rich flower in the middle with the six leaves. It's the first thing that my eyes notice. It is a flower that has reached its maturity - it can't open anymore. So then I see the 2 Swords, remind myself that this is a 2, so there is necessarily duality involved here, and that growth is no more possible if people remain stuck in their positions and refuse to progress and listen to other people (for me Swords are the Air element). It's like saying "Ok, I've come this far. And no further". It's a stubborn kind of card. So I am reminded that I need to make an effort to see other people's points of views, and to try and see things from their point of view. It is not a very easy card. And the trouble is, at first glance, when you see that flower, you think - hey, this looks like a great card! But that's very deceptive.

Posted by HOLMES on 29-03-2003 17:29:

looking at this card i see the meeting of minds, but the actual physical occurence of when two swords laying down next to each other. they are curved swords meaning they are bending to meet the force of others and to deflect as much as possible the force directed at them.
the colour schemes of red physical root chakra and yellow eing the will charka colour on the respective swords mean it is also a meeting of physical energies and well as wills (the third center deals with our wills and how they are affected and how they affected others )
the colour black on the swords suggest mental potential. and the colour blue near the hilts suggest an aspect of peace, where the swords actually meet.
it is the wills of good men that cause peace.
the strange flower inside the meeting of the minds, is a strange flower indeed. but it too is symetrical, suggesting a harmony aspect to it and all three colours are shown in the flower will, physical and peace.
the center looks to be white pearl. perhaps it is the purity of intentions that of enabled there to be peace .
the four strawberries looking away in the respective directions remind me of food for thought.
to be peaceful one must eat peaceful foods and ingest peaceful energies.

Posted by Aerin on 30-03-2003 11:19:

The swords look like they are being pushed away from each other, they want to go in opposite directions yet something is keeping them there.

Posted by Khatruman on 31-03-2003 07:58:

Ok, let's see... the Two of Swords. The "swords" here to me seem odd, thus the confusion of which are swords and which are wands. Someone earlier said something about these being decorative swords??? Sorry, I am typing and can't go back to the post. The first thing I notice on the card is the flower in the center, with red petals, yellow petals, and blue petals behind. Leaves branch out symmetrically, eight leaves with yellow undersides and six of the eight have blue tops, but there are two that are red, the top right, and bottom left... Why is this? There are flower-like shapes below each blade, blue base, follwed by yellow, with a red center. To me, they seem to be buds, unblossomed versions of the center flower.

The swords bow out. There is that space in the center.. the air element? The symmetry of two very apparent, yet there are mirror elements to it: the red leaves of the center flower. The red/yellow of the shapes near the end blades of the swords: the retangular ones are yellow/red at the top, the oval: red/yellow and the opposite below... mirrors again?

Posted by ihcoyc on 31-03-2003 11:30:

The space between the two swords form a "vesica piscis," a fish shape and a female symbol as well. There were some threads on the shape here and here.

I have somewhat of a difficult time relating the symbol of the vesica piscis to the received interpretations of the 2 of Swords, but the same shape appears on all of the even numbered swords. In the odd numbered swords, the space inside is violated by the single fully drawn sword, which is even more disconcertingly Freudian.

Posted by skytwig on 31-03-2003 22:58:

The swords - be it two ideas, two opinions, two choices, or the polarity/synergy of ideas, opinion, choices, brains, minds creating another, greater living presence of thought.

Posted by Khatruman on 03-04-2003 07:41:

Now, to that Two of Swords. I find it interesting that in all the flowers, open or closed, the color pattern is blue for the outer petals, then yellow, then red for the inner ones. Diana has already discussed the significance of red as symbolic of life's blood, etc... so maybe an inner opening here? Another color aspect I am interested in is the pattern of colors in the decorative elements that vary from side to side. At the top you have (describing left/right) yellow/red for those bands, then red/yellow for the ovals, then blue/red for those top leaves, then red/blue for the bottom leaves, then yellow/red for the bottom ovals, then red/yellow for the bottom bands. There is a clear pattern of reversal, or perhaps mirror imagery.

Posted by skytwig on 03-04-2003 09:47:

The two of swords says a lot about verbal communication, the creation of more ideas AND the idea that discussion is a tug and push or withdrawal as ideas/thoughts are shared, resisted and accepted.

Posted by Aerin on 03-04-2003 10:09:

The 2 of swords, it is somehow trapped in the centre and forcing the swords apart, yet they are still being held together by strength of will.

Mimers

continued

Posted by Khatruman on 05-04-2003 21:32:

Ok, I do see an "airy" atmosphere to the card. None of the flowers are rooted, or even with stems. The swords bow out to an airy middle. There is a yin/yang theme going on as I see it with the mirrored colorings of the decorations on the swords and the leaves, as I have mentioned. So perhaps we have here a union of opposites, intertwined yet of differing minds. Yet, at the very center, between the red knobs that border the yellow bars of the swords, and in the center area of the flower, all is perfectly symmetrical. So at their core, though they oppose on the outer edges (even the outside flowers turn away from each other), in their deep heart, they are joined at create a whole being.

Posted by Mimers on 05-04-2003 21:34:

Did anyone notice all of the 4's represented in the 2 of swords?

I noticed this just now. There are four buds out side of the swords in the 4 corners. There are four leaves on top of the flower in the middle and four leaves on the bottom. Even the petals on the center flower are 4 blue petals in the back and four petals in the front (2 red and 2 yellow)

Just had another thought. 2 red petals(passion) + 2 yellow petals(intellect) = 4 blue (communication)

Passionate thinking, leads to solid(4) communication.

Humm.. a thought just went through my head. No need to call the fire department, it is just me thinking. My little addition problem up there made me think of why I am participating in this thread to begin with. I have been in the forum for a couple of months and I always noticed here and there this guy 'jmd' making plugs for the Marseilles deck. I would think to myself, this guy really wants us all to discover something. I could sense his passion for this deck (red) but he always came accross in a logical, thought provoking way (yellow). By doing this, he was able to convince me (blue), who would not have touched this deck with a 10 foot pole, that I had something to gain, learn and grow from.

2 of swords takes the idea of the Ace and balances it. The flower in the middle is the communicated idea waiting to be let out.

Posted by Mimers on 05-04-2003 21:57:

Khat,
You brought out some great things that I hadn't noticed before!

Originally posted by Khatruman
Ok, I do see an "airy" atmosphere to the card. None of the flowers are rooted, or even with stems. The swords bow out to an airy middle

Yes, this is the only 2 where there are no stems on the flowers! Lack of groundedness? You had your 'idea' in the ace and now something has come along and stirred that idea up leaving your thoughts without a base or bringing confusion, second thoughts?

You continue on about the swords:

Yet, at the very center, between the red knobs that border the yellow bars of the swords, and in the center area of the flower, all is perfectly symmetrical. So at their core, though they oppose on the outer edges (even the outside flowers turn away from each other), in their deep heart, they are joined at create a whole being.

I wonder if that beautiful flower at the heart that is perfect and symmetrical is representing the potential outcome when ideas are brought together. When the confusion is worked through(3 or swords?) and decisions are made (4 of swords?). Like in this forum!

Posted by skytwig on 05-04-2003 22:25:
Observations:
2 SWORDS
Is it possible that the large central flower represents burgeoning thought/ideas? As if the beginning of creation erupts as a great idea, a vision?

Mimers - the 4's you point out in the 2 of swords, foretelling of the growth that the 2 state yields? The growth that following one's ideas, visions will yield? Or the result of dialogue between two? (brainstorming?) (I think it is a significant observation, by the way. thanks for pointing that out)

Mimers

comments/thoughts/questions

Swords were very popular along with the cups. That flower in the middle really stands out. Also the bowed shape of the swords. Normally straight and of solid steel, now bent like something is really trying to force it out.

Still a puzzle to me.

here are some questions we still might ponder

Here, the swords are clearly both curved (why!? does this provide us with some information about their provenance, given the straightness of swords in European practice?).

Also: the 2 of Swords: how do you interpret the two objects that are there? My Ancient Italian doubles the number of swords, making the design in each corner a hilt and having two curving blades, like a scimitar, curving up to meet in the centre line, so there are four swords on the 2 of Swords and so forth. What is the origin of this particular convention? On the Visconti Gold the swords are all as straight as Wands, but have recognisable hilts on one end and points on the other.

Yes, why are there no recognizable hilts on the swords? and why do they look so much like the wands?

Also,
Now, the 2 of Swords. And their shape. I read that the rounded swords are called "symbolic swords" and that the vertical, straight ones are called "concrete swords". I do not know what is meant by this. Does anyone have an idea?

Well if anything, I think we can say the sword was the most perplexing of them all!

Mimers

jmd

Wonderful reflections to further ponder...

With regards to there being no hilts upon the curved swords, this is both accurate and inaccurate. In some decks, such as the Schaffhouse (US Games Tarot Classic), the hilts upon the curved swords are 'clearly' there - or clearly when compared to 'proper' Marseilles decks at any rate.

In mediaeval times, the curved blades would have been, may I also suggest, indications of (middle) Eastern origin - of Sarracens, Mamluk, Arab, Moorish influences. Influences, might it also be added, which symbolically represented the body of transmitted learning available at the time. As such, to continue making this now common link between Swords and the clarity of mathematical thinking/learning also has some weight (even if the sacred learning of the Church, and hence Cups, would have been regarded as of greater importance).

With regards to the shape of the vesica piscis (and the central straight sword in the three), it does seem to indicate the fullness of the meanings implied in such iconography. Such, of course, also includes the hidden and sacred gnosis or knowledge of sexual intimacy, whereby the rending by the sword allows for a total intimacy of open-ness.

The two, a very feminine number, is thus also protected by the blades turning every way, protecting the way of the Tree of Life.