Study of the Marseilles pips summery for the 2 of Batons

Mimers

Posted by ihcoyc on 27-03-2003 20:28:

Now that we have the 2 of Wands: there the vegetation seems much more mature than on any of the other twos……; the 2 of Wands contains flowers that look like they've mostly gone to seed.

Posted by HOLMES on 29-03-2003 17:29:

two of wands.
spiritual harmony, there is a cross in the middle which is an x , the ordinary cross is now blanced to show spirit is harmonized on all levels.
nothing really much to add, but they are activetly strikcing each other reminding us that wands are actiong suit and so by activaley meeting the other we bring about a stalemate and can achieve peace.
even where they meet is a blue colour saying peace was achieved.
the wands are double edge, suggesting that like the sword are double hilted,
the wands can either burn you on either side

Posted by Aerin on 30-03-2003 11:19:

The wands cross quite naturally. Look as if they mean business. I am reminded (for whatever reason) of swords crossed on the floor for a Scottish dance demonstration.

Posted by skytwig on 31-03-2003 22:58:
Wands, of course, are that grand field of creativity, fire and energy. Polarity is easy to envision there.

Posted by Aerin on 03-04-2003 10:09:
The 2 of wands, it is about to move along the wands and go off into the world to make its own way.

Posted by skytwig on 05-04-2003 22:25:

2 WANDS
Interesting that they are repeated in the same fashion in the Thoth deck. (The 2 swords are also in this layout in the thoth deck.)

Posted by Diana on 06-04-2003 10:49:

Two of Batons. How bold you are. Two sturdy batons held up in front of me like a cross. With you both, I can conquer all the obstacles ahead. The mists seem to vanish as I approach. You give me a feeling of empowerment.

But hush: slow down. Do you not see those white stems? How strange they are. The roots look like flowers - similar to the flowers at the top and bottom of the card. So stop rushing, dear heart, and breath in that spiritual light and nourishment that the roots provide. Take time to watch the morning dew.

Those two white flower-roots long to meet and touch and join together as one. See the yellow stems on either side? How content they seem to be.

So do not think your task is over. Take up your cross and take one baton in your left hand, one in your right hand, and prise them open ever so gently, in order to allow those white flower-roots to unite in joyful intercourse.

That's right. Do you feel your tension leaving? Then you can move to the 3 of Batons, for the journey is not yet over.

Mimers

thoughts/questions

Well, the batons certainly got the short end of the stick :D
(I crack myself up)

More questions:

Why are they straight and the swords curved?

Why do they cross in the middle and the swords at the ends?

Why don't they look like swords????

Mimers

Rusty Neon

Schematic swords

Mimers said:
Well, the batons certainly got the short end of the stick :D
(I crack myself up)

More questions:

Why are they straight and the swords curved?

Why do they cross in the middle and the swords at the ends?

Why don't they look like swords????

Mimers

Hmm ... I wonder whether we can ever know the real answers to these questions. Who knows what the cardmakers had in mind? In any event, it certainly makes for more visual variety, both in terms of the actual implements (swords vs. batons) and the surrounding random details. If the swords were straight like the batons, the swords pip cards would likely have looked very much like batons pip cards, both in terms of implements and surrounding random details.

In his book, Marteau goes into quite a bit of detail on the psychological implications of the swords being curved and schematic. But this doesn't answer Mimers' various 'why' questions.

jmd

I agree that if the swords were depicted as straight, it would be more difficult to ascertain the difference between these and the batons - and in decks which do have straight swords, the 'instant' recognition is a little delayed as one ascertains whether they are blades or sticks.

Still, another comment which may be made is that these may very well not be 'wands', but rather staffs (or, if one wants to possibly be historically accurate in terms of provenance, 'polo' sticks). Long sticks are quite different in their handling than wands...

Crossing these as in the two, at their centre, certainly also makes for especially easier recognition as to their number when more are present (as in the eight, for example), but, again, this is only one amongst other variations of representation even in early decks.

The two of Staffs/Wands/Sticks/Battons/Clubs seems to certainly engage in other than mere reflection, but rather symmetry, a bifurcation of ways - ways crossed, barred, and yet high in potential.