Herbs for kidneys...

Wonderwoman

Hi Guys and Gals :)
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for herbs that heal the kidneys. I've already attended the Western medicine man and the meds I was given have literally made my kidneys scorch with pain, plus dehydrated me to no end. Any help would be Gladly, lovingly welcome. Thank you in Advance!
Ww

celticnoodle

I was told that herbal use when your kidneys are in trouble is a no no, but I can be wrong. My tai chi teacher was recently mentioning with us a tai chi (or was it a qigong) move(s) that one can do to keep your kidneys in good shape. I do not know if this is an option for you, but either way, it does seem you need to talk to your doctor about this medicine, as that doesn't sound good for you. And, as always, anything you do, (herbs or the tai-chi/qigong), you should speak w/your doctor first before you choose to do that too.

If you decide to do tai chi or qigong, you can search for a video on you tube about it. I don't think it could hurt you or your kidneys as it is a very gentle exercise program.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do, I do hope you can find something to help you.

Forgot to add that another avenue of promise for helping you could be acupuncture.

You may also want to check into acupuncture for help.

Wonderwoman

I'll make note of your suggestions Celticnoodle. Thank you for all your observations ���� I've been drinking so much cranberry juice it's going to come out of my ears lol. Was told be the pharmacist it's the choice drink for kidneys. I've now been given new meds and am praying for different, better results ��

Padma

I have heard that dandelion is a good support for the kidneys, however, it is also used as a diuretic - so that may not be the herb of choice for your condition. I googled and found this site, (I am not affiliated with it!) I found the site to be balanced with good advice. It seems CN was correct in advising Tai-Chi, it seems that yoga may help, as well (it is about keeping stress at bay).

Glad you went back to doc and got a different medicine! Oh and, fresh lemons in water are good for the kidneys, as are green leafy foods (which also contain a lot of water). I think diet and gentle exercise may help more than taking herbs.

http://www.alternativemedicine.com/kidney-health/keep-your-kidneys-healthy

blue_fusion

In these parts, Sambong (Blumea balsamifera) is used as an alternative medicine for the kidneys, as well as other ailments. If you have a Filipino grocery nearby, you could check if they carry sambong tea. We also use coconut water to treat the kidneys, especially when it comes to dealing with kidney stones.

celticnoodle

I'll make note of your suggestions Celticnoodle. Thank you for all your observations ���� I've been drinking so much cranberry juice it's going to come out of my ears lol. Was told be the pharmacist it's the choice drink for kidneys. I've now been given new meds and am praying for different, better results ��

You know, it depends on what is wrong with your kidney's whether or not cranberry juice is good for you. I can't recall what it was that cranberry juice for the kidneys is NOT good! So, you know what is wrong, do the research on google - pay closer attention to medical places, such as the mayo-clinic. I know they generally prefer to push meds and such, but they may also tell you which kidney issue is okay to use cranberry juice for and which one it isn't good for. But, I do know that plenty of water and staying away from sugar, sodas and alcohol is essential.

I have heard that dandelion is a good support for the kidneys, however, it is also used as a diuretic - so that may not be the herb of choice for your condition. I googled and found this site, (I am not affiliated with it!) I found the site to be balanced with good advice. It seems CN was correct in advising Tai-Chi, it seems that yoga may help, as well (it is about keeping stress at bay).

Glad you went back to doc and got a different medicine! Oh and, fresh lemons in water are good for the kidneys, as are green leafy foods (which also contain a lot of water). I think diet and gentle exercise may help more than taking herbs.

http://www.alternativemedicine.com/kidney-health/keep-your-kidneys-healthy

You know, fresh lemons in a glass of water when you first wake up and then again before every meal is suppose to help you to also lose weight. Not sure why now, I remember reading that years ago and I happen to LOVE water and I also love lemons in my water. Unfortunately for me, I haven't noticed significant weight loss--but who knows, perhaps its because I've added significant amounts of M&Ms to my diet and chocolate icecream. :D

eta: okay, found a site--it appears that cranberries - juice or otherwise, if taken regularly is a great treatment for UTI's and for keeping kidney stones away. However, if you have kidney disease/ failure--it may not be a good thing to consume. Always consult your physician first on this of course.

http://www.kidneyfund.org/are-you-a...ions/#Is_cranberry_juice_good_for_my_kidneys?

though, this site says its also a no-no for the treatment of kidney stones and can cause them! :eek:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/427692-cranberry-juice-kidney-failure/

kidney stones are very painful, I know. I've never had them myself, but my brother and niece both have and I've also known other people who had them.

Onion Budgie

Lemon water is good, but in moderation, as it's acidic. Too much of it may have a harsh effect on your stomach -- in addition to eroding the enamel from your teeth.

junethird

Actually if you have a kidney infection STAY AWAY from lemon juice it makes it worse actually - the pain.

You really need to follow your doctors advice to the T and not mess with anything that can interfere with the medication prescribed by your doctor. Their is no overnight relief. Its a diet change and alot of water. Pretty much 2L daily. You can juice. Green juice specifically to help flush out extra toxins in your kidneys and liver. A very safe non invasive recipe for jucing is carrots and apples or pineapple, ginger, kale and a small bit of parsley. Also you can do the odd beet juice. Artichokes are also good but make sure you get them organic if possible and clean them good as they are one of the highest vegetables riddled with pesticides. remove all nitrates from your meals. Especially bacon and sandwich meats. Cut back and eliminate salt and sugars. No coffee, alcohol, pop, spicy foods or chocolate.

But above All keep it all simple and be patient. Dont stress. You have to rest.

Goodluck.

Ps: do not drink cranberry juice unless of course its the real thing which is very different than the commercialized 'ocean spray' version which is nothing but full of sugar lol. But stay away from it until you are in less pain, besides the real stuff is really hard to drink on its own. Its pretty sour and just gross... It doesnt Help much.

STICK WITH WATER AND JUICE YOU MAKE AT HOME.

celticnoodle

well now, I also have to advise to be careful with how much water you drink too. I am a BIG water drinker. However, there was a time when I was coming close to passing out--and I was weak. Come to find out, after many tests at the Drs., that I was drinking so much water, I was washing out all the electrolytes in my body. So, I was told to limit my water intake.

:bugeyed:

I was very careful for awhile and I got stronger again--however, some days I forget and begin to get lightheaded and at times get to the point of just about passing out cold. So I 'force' myself to drink other things.

However, drinking water is good for you--as long as you also include OTHER liquids. And, EVERYTHING in moderation. With any kidney issue, you do need to be careful to not take in a lot of sugar--so if you can drink things w/o a lot of sugar in it--fruit juices with 'natural' sugar is okay, just no added sugar--in addition to water, go for it. :)

junethird

With all due respect CN :), Its a little different when you suffer from kidney infection. Staying regularly hydrated is important as all toxins are processed and eliminted through your kidneys and you have to pee all that stuff out. The recomended dose is 8-12 cups which is equal to 1.5-2L of water. Im a bit on the smaller size and drink about 1.5L daily. Its a bit harder some days but its the average for my body type. Perhaps you were drinking more than the recomended dosage or too much for your body weight CN? But im glad your issues worked out for you and they figured out what was wrong. Scary moment for sure!!

You can switch out comercial bottled fruit juices for fruit that are high in water content like watermelon, apples, red grapes, cherries, strawberries etc. Unless the fruit juice is freshly squeezed from a juice bar Or your own juicer at home its best to stick with the most natural source. Because you want to help your kidneys not make them work extra harder to filter out any extra stuff - Kidney issues require a whole new diet basically its all about lean clean eating - which is something everyone should be doing anyway but its very important if you suffer from chronic kidney infection. Its not fun at all. Cut out high fats - and stick with skinless chicken and fish. Alot of legumes and sprouted grains will help in the long run. Eat lots of Hearty veggie soups and stews!!! I have some wonderful soup recipes that include butternut squash/lentil and a delicious turnip/apple cream soup if you want. Nouroushing yourself better is very important. But do what you can in a pinch and on a budget.