In a rut ... help?

fairylights

I really want to move ahead with my exploration of tarot but I'm having a hard time finding the motivation. Some weird mental block is keeping me from sinking into the experience happily and wholeheartedly. To be honest, I don't even feel like picking up my deck and looking at the pictures ... I think about doing it and always end up saying "Later." I would probably read for someone else if asked but no one's asked in a while ... and the thought of reading for myself right now is just "meh" and has been so for about the last month.

My life is pretty good now, smooth and mostly pleasant. I'm not dissatisfied with it, nor do I really feel like I'm stuck in a rut ... but I feel like the unwillingness to read might be a warning sign of a turn for the worse there.

What do I do to break the cycle of apathy?

nisaba

I really want to move ahead with my exploration of tarot but I'm having a hard time finding the motivation. Some weird mental block is keeping me from sinking into the experience happily and wholeheartedly. To be honest, I don't even feel like picking up my deck and looking at the pictures ... I think about doing it and always end up saying "Later." I would probably read for someone else if asked but no one's asked in a while ... and the thought of reading for myself right now is just "meh" and has been so for about the last month.

My life is pretty good now, smooth and mostly pleasant. I'm not dissatisfied with it, nor do I really feel like I'm stuck in a rut ... but I feel like the unwillingness to read might be a warning sign of a turn for the worse there.

Put your decks away. Go out into the world and do whatever thrills you right now. Your decks will be there to come back to when you're ready for Tarot again. :)

Trying to force it, or "break" it just puts the guilts on you if you can't. Perhaps this part of your life is not about Tarot.

seedcake

So agree with nisaba. Don't think in such categories. Cards get back when needed. Keep your life flow. Don't force yourself to use cards or feel guilty about them. Like with everything - we need breaks.

Citrin

I tired of tarot for a couple of years and just now got back to my cards. :) Life's like that sometimes, all of sudden you will feel like you can't resist picking your deck up!

If you "force" yourself to read the cards I think you will just feel even more "meh" about it all.

But if you really want to try to include your cards in a very simple way, maybe you can just pick out one card each day, put it on your nightstand and look at it for a minute before going to bed? Without feeling like you have to overthink, analyze or make a journal entry about it.

spinnachie

I go through the same phases all the time...I usually just take a break, and I find that when I feel ready again the cards call me...either in a dream or I get this really explosive urge to to a reading or to just pick them up and flip through them...I actually came back from a little break about 2 weeks ago...I had the feeling to come back about a month and a half ago...but I had to ignore it because I had other things to take care of...the feeling never went away it just kept getting stronger until finally I talked to my boyfriend about it and he agreed to help out more so that I can have a little extra time in the evenings to work with my cards...and i have been working with them every day since.. :)
taking a break is not a bad thing...you shouldn't feel forced to do a reading or to play with your cards...

fairylights

Thanks, guys. I won't try to force it.

I'm just worried that the reason I'm avoiding it is because I don't have enough discipline ... even for the worthwhile things. It's kind of been a theme in my life in some ways. I have a hard time getting things done without structure and routine but at the same time, I don't want to make this some super rigid homework assignment that has to get done ... and I'm not so good at making the structure and routine thing happen organically.

VioletEye

Thanks, guys. I won't try to force it.

I'm just worried that the reason I'm avoiding it is because I don't have enough discipline ... even for the worthwhile things. It's kind of been a theme in my life in some ways. I have a hard time getting things done without structure and routine but at the same time, I don't want to make this some super rigid homework assignment that has to get done ... and I'm not so good at making the structure and routine thing happen organically.

i totally know what you mean, i'm the same way. but the thing with tarot is that it only works when you're feeling it; it's an art - it's not washing the dishes, or filing your taxes (not that i should compare tarot to chores!).
one thing that i like to do when i'm not particularly inspired to study or read the cards is to put on a tarot podcast, or a youtube video. here's a good thread with a few channels you might like:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=201664

fairylights

i totally know what you mean, i'm the same way. but the thing with tarot is that it only works when you're feeling it; it's an art - it's not washing the dishes, or filing your taxes (not that i should compare tarot to chores!).
one thing that i like to do when i'm not particularly inspired to study or read the cards is to put on a tarot podcast, or a youtube video. here's a good thread with a few channels you might like:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=201664

Thanks so much. I'll check this out. I think it's easier for me to be enthusiastic about these things when I'm feeling connected to people and bonding with them over interests (even if it's just one way) so I'm hoping the podcasts will help, and of course, this forum too. :)

seedcake

Not so long time ago I had break from cards 'cause of my lack of discipline. It was a very good time to understand that getting to know tarot doesn't mean to work with a sort of plan. You do things when you need and feel them right. Never ever force yourself.

Richard

Unless you are a professional reader, there is no reason whatsoever to make yourself read tarot if you don't want to. That makes no sense. Tarot should be an enjoyable pastime, not an unpleasant chore. Life is hard enough without adding unnecessary burdensome tasks. I don't get it. If your life is going well now, that's wonderful! You have an obligation to enjoy it! :)