significator positions in grand tableau

Reina de Copas

I just wondered - if the significator card falls to the far right (column 7) in a 9x4 lenormand grand tableau, do you still read everything to the left as the past, and to the right as future? I read recently that this can mean the querent is stuck in the past. I'm curious as to your thoughts?

surpeti

I just wondered - if the significator card falls to the far right (column 7) in a 9x4 lenormand grand tableau, do you still read everything to the left as the past, and to the right as future? I read recently that this can mean the querent is stuck in the past. I'm curious as to your thoughts?

There are differences in opinion among reputable "traditional" teachers. You can read a GT as all future; then the left columns are "influences" (albeit weaker ones) rather than "past." But if you do choose to read a GT as past-present-future, then it could be said that the future isn't known (knowable). Perhaps you need to review/reflect on the past more than know the future. Or you could read it as the past, then throw another GT and see what happens. I've gotten all these ideas from Rana George, AndyBC, and others.

Personally, I'm experimenting with them all right now. Since a GT is a longish process with a longish timeline, it's taking a while for me to get enough experience/feedback to settle on one approach. Or maybe, knowing all the different options, I can have them all available to me before a throw. Mostly I think it is important to be clear *before* throwing the GT which set of guidelines you will use and not change mid-stream if it is hard to interpret.

Best of luck!

Reina de Copas

Thanks so much for your response. I found what you wrote about the past being hugely influential being very relevent, and it has given me a lot to think about. I intend to throw the tableau for this year again, this time asking very clearly about the future, and working consciously with the house system. I felt very disturbed by the layout of the last one in light of your response.
I am very grateful for your input, thankyou.

mysticsphere

i know that Rana George has a method to deal with this kind of issue--she reads the houses backwards, and forms a story there.

So if significator fell in house 17 (which would be farthest right in a 9x4, for example), then you would look to see where the Stork fell (Stork is card 17). You then check what house Stork fell in (let's say house 8, Coffin), then check wherever Coffin is, etc etc. You form a chain and tell a story from this technique.

Reina de Copas

i know that Rana George has a method to deal with this kind of issue--she reads the houses backwards, and forms a story there.

So if significator fell in house 17 (which would be farthest right in a 9x4, for example), then you would look to see where the Stork fell (Stork is card 17). You then check what house Stork fell in (let's say house 8, Coffin), then check wherever Coffin is, etc etc. You form a chain and tell a story from this technique.

Now that is awesome. Thankyou.

Teheuti

In addition to the things mentioned:
1) The future can be seen by understanding choices made in the past.

2) You can take the furtherest left cards (the card that mirrors the Significator and the cards above and below that) and move them (temporarily) to the right of the Significator. Using this technique iit is possible to fill out a full Square of Nine around the Significator by using cards from the furtherest opposite point. It doesn't fully solve the problem but it gives you a little more to go on.