Playing Cards I want to read!

greatdane

Hi Cardlady!

Looks nicely done. Are you getting them?

And the interesting thing is so many of these playing card decks are so inexpensive! I just love that I can get them without putting out too much cash and if they don't work as reading cards, I can always use them as regular playing cards deck!

greatdane

well, they ARE inexpensive, Rockersgurl! LOL

I decided to START with Shadow Masters and go from there! Anne Stokes looks more like a tarot deck than Shadow Masters, at least to me, so I wanted to first try a deck that looked like playing cards, but moodier! The Shadow Masters has such a great vibe to it, but there are soooo many playing cards that are inexpensive, it'll be hard to limit myself!

Hope you post which you choose first, RG!

GD

greatdane

good to know Euripedes!

Mine should arrive today or at least by Sat. Can't wait. Was wondering if they were as good as they sounded! Ellusionist seems to have a lot of cool decks!

amethyst57

GD...i did a bit more research on both decks....

gonna get the Ann Stokes deck...love her artwork, and they
would compliment my Gilded deck more...
more than my ordinary pinnochle deck does, lol

greatdane

I can see that, Rockersgurl!

That IS a great looking deck! I literally just got my Shadow Masters. Love the card stock and it looks like a regular deck, but in black, kind of like an xray or negative! I'm sure I'll wind up looking at other playing card decks as well. The Anne Stokes looks more like tarot to me, which is a good thing!

I hope you post how you like it when you get it, RG!

GD

Morwenna

I have to put in a word here for a deck that went out of print about a decade or two ago; I think it was from US Games but I'm not sure. It was a standard playing card deck but in some ways was reminiscent of the Old English Tarot. It was called something to do with medieval "estates"--nobility, clergy, etc. The pips were more or less in their usual array but they were incorporated into illustrations pertaining to the estate in question. One day I saw them at the Pennsic War (SCA) and thought about them but decided not to buy anything yet, and when I got back to that merchant later in the week they were sold out. The following year I sought out that merchant again, only to discover that the deck had gone out of print.

Sigh...

amethyst57

got my Anne Stokes' deck!
guitars, gargoyles, swords, dragons, faeries, angels, reapers,unicorns, etc...an amazing deck worth the money...

here's a taste of the cards:

King of Spades is a reaper holding a candleabra...
Queen of Spades is a woman with a goblet spilling blood...
Ace of Hearts is two unicorns' heads shaped like a heart....
Jack of Spades is a gargoyle on a church steeple...

very nice cards, a bit slippery, but they don't stick to each other like my ordinary playing cards do...

Bernice

Morwenna said:
I have to put in a word here for a deck that went out of print about a decade or two ago; I think it was from US Games but I'm not sure. It was a standard playing card deck but in some ways was reminiscent of the Old English Tarot. It was called something to do with medieval "estates"--nobility, clergy, etc. The pips were more or less in their usual array but they were incorporated into illustrations pertaining to the estate in question. One day I saw them at the Pennsic War (SCA) and thought about them but decided not to buy anything yet, and when I got back to that merchant later in the week they were sold out. The following year I sought out that merchant again, only to discover that the deck had gone out of print.

Sigh...
I like the sound of that deck Morwenna. I wonder what it was called, I'd love to see the cards.

Bee :)