Photography Tarot Deck from Haiti

HudsonGray

A photographer just got fully funded on Indigogo to put out her Rider Waite tarot - she did up each card with live people, which may or may be to everyone's taste, but she did get some stunning pictures.

I know photography tarot decks usually aren't very popular, but take a look at the images here. She's calling it the Ghetto Tarot.
https://iso.500px.com/photographer-...ts-to-transform-tarot-cards-into-real-scenes/
She talks about doing the photo shoot, which is very interesting.

The Indigogo link is here -- https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-ghetto-tarot Though it has less information on the photography aspects and is more detailed in the production side. She was aiming for a print run of 400 decks.

illyria

Hi, HudsonGray.

You'll find a good discussion of this deck here. It's a very active thread.

HudsonGray

Ahh, I completely missed that. Sorry.

Holy cow! 10 pages in less than a week? I'll read through that discussion.

illyria

Ahh, I completely missed that. Sorry.

Holy cow! 10 pages in less than a week? I'll read through that discussion.

I know! I found the thread incredibly eye-opening. And no apologies, by the way! I just thought you'd be interested in seeing the range of reactions this deck has engendered.

gregory

The thread has been pulled, but I think this deck is brilliant, and I've backed it. YES it's another Waite clone - but it is different enough to be interesting, and some of the money raised goes back to the community.

The Haitians working with the artist are all being paid at the same rate she pays Belgians who work with her in her own country, and it seems like a very good community effort.

And as I said - I also like the look of it.

Rhapsodin

I know! I found the thread incredibly eye-opening. And no apologies, by the way! I just thought you'd be interested in seeing the range of reactions this deck has engendered.
My reaction is entirely positive. I know a little of the region!

I read the other thread, now gone. Many commenters missed the point, I fear.

UrbanBramble

Hmm, I've never seen a thread be pulled at AT before, I've just seen the off topic bits be deleted. I know it was controversial, but I've seen worse in my time here. Anyone know why it was pulled? (and no judgement, just curious).

trzes

I like this project. Maybe it's more "cool" than actually political. But although it won't solve the problem of poverty in Haiti, it may at least draw some attention to the situation there. I guess I will back it.

As for the other thread I am wondering too. When a thread is pulled for inspection I used to get a PM when I had posted there.

Alta

The thread was removed temporarily for review because the posts were getting personal and nasty. It will be returned.
As for the other thread I am wondering too. When a thread is pulled for inspection I used to get a PM when I had posted there.
The sheer number of posters made that impractical.

Alta

UrbanBramble

Thanks for letting us know, Alta. Kudos to the mods for taking on that task, im sure its a ton of work!