The Alice Tarot

Aerin

baba-prague said:
Not "The Looking Glass Wars"? I haven't read it but have it on my wishlist.

Oh, sorry, we must have been posting at the same time. Is it worth reading?

Err....

It is interesting if (like me) you like fantasy.

Not sure it added much to my understanding of Alice per se though.

ETA: Put it this way - I'm not going to re-read it, I'll read the sequels if I trip across them at the library but I'm not going out of my way to find them. (Got this from the library.)

fferyllt

irmata said:
Aaand to bring it back: a few weeks ago I watched a 2-part TV movie modernised version of Alice. For the life of me, I can't remember the title or director D'OH! It turns out that humans are being harvested and "milked" for their emotions, as Wonderland's citizens can't feel anything otherwise. It's really beautiful and the world is wonderfully realised, with character adaptations that fit perfectly into their world and ours.

Remember, brain, REMEMBER!!!

Alice on Syfy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_(TV_miniseries)

irmata

fferyllt said:
YES! Thank you :D Broadcast on Showcase here.

Thanks for the link to all the Alice resources too, Aerin. I've also read a good deal of Alice-inspired adaptations. I remember one classified as horror fiction that went through the looking glass into the terrible world beyond, tying it in to Carrol's Alice. Lots of great philosophical & quantum stuff in there.

baba-prague

The Fish Footman - the Page of Cups - is up

It's still in the process of being tweaked a little, but I thought that as he's 98% done, I'll show him.

I'll also put this card on to the website this week - it will look much better as we can show higher quality there.

Still, all this being said, we're happy with this one. I think he is very "fairytaley" to use Alex's expression.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AliceTarot/187206919122

Alta

That is very witty! You and Alex are approaching this with quite devilish humour!

eta: while I was looking at the page I went back saw the little 'walking oyster' detail in The Lovers card. I always wondered how all those baby oysters left their beds and walked to their fate.

baba-prague

Alta said:
That is very witty! You and Alex are approaching this with quite devilish humour!

eta: while I was looking at the page I went back saw the little 'walking oyster' detail in The Lovers card. I always wondered how all those baby oysters left their beds and walked to their fate.

"But four young oysters hurried up,
All eager for the treat:
Their coats were brushed, their faces washed,
Their shoes were clean and neat—
And this was odd, because, you know,
They hadn't any feet."

We used baby shoes made by a good friend who is a leather craftswoman. But it does make the whole card rather tragic if you know what happens in the poem.

Attachments

• Oyster-with-shoes.jpg
    Oyster-with-shoes.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 200

Le Fanu

Love that Page of Cups! Everything I have seen of this deck so far makes me sure it's going to be one of those "pouring-into-your-brain" readable decks!

Hedera

It's funny, the first time I looked at the cards, they didn't do much for me - and then the next day, I suddenly fell in love with them!

(of course, it took me months to realize I did, in fact, really like the Bohemian Gothic)

That Page of Cups is perfect!

Myrrha

The fish-footman is perfect! I had been hoping that the suits would be Spades, Diamonds, Hearts, Clubs as that seems to go well with Wonderland and its various card-suited court personalities, and the card soldiers. Cups and Wands could seem like a layer brought in from somewhere else, but this card works so well. Maybe not having the actual object in there helps. Cannot wait to see more of these.

baba-prague

Myrrha said:
The fish-footman is perfect! I had been hoping that the suits would be Spades, Diamonds, Hearts, Clubs as that seems to go well with Wonderland and its various card-suited court personalities, and the card soldiers. Cups and Wands could seem like a layer brought in from somewhere else, but this card works so well. Maybe not having the actual object in there helps. Cannot wait to see more of these.

That's an interesting point Myrrha. Our thinking, in sticking with the RWS suits (although we're still not sure if we'll use "pentacles" or "coins") is that the only suit you actually see in Wonderland is the Hearts, so we didn't feel any particular need to bring in Spades, Diamonds or Clubs, though of course you're absolutely right, they're the traditional suits used in England. The other reason is that we're also using Through the Looking Glass extensively, and so to switch to English suits felt as though it might make Wonderland seem too dominant.

We're doing Hearts=Cups, which means that, for instance, the Queen of Hearts becomes the Queen of Cups. Which is a long way from the traditional RWS Queen of Cups. Mapping this whole deck has been quite challenging, for these sorts of reasons, and the result will be a deck that's based on RWS, but in many places will differ from it significantly.