World Spirit study group - The Chariot (7)

Seed Crystal

A musculer and confident African charioteer, richly dressed, rides his star-and-moon-embelished chariot into flowing waters. He holds a long spear and his head is crowned with flame. Behind him, in the dark shade of a tree sits a panther or lioness. Above him in the bright sky flies a hawk. The waters have spiral waves; the green veldt, dark stripes. His two zebras are both horse and sea horse. No reins are apparent.

This is a card of self-discovery and self-control, mental discipline, the spiritual journey beyond the familiar joyfully and confidently entered into. It is a card of personal challenge.

Unlike the R-W-S card, we do not see this charioteer coming from the city; we see him entering the waters from green land. That he is a product of sophisticated civilization is evident from his dress, his spear, his chariot. Again compared to the R-W-S this card is active; this charioteer is not trapped in concrete or legless, or with settled sphinxes before him. He is comfortable in the wilds he knows, and confident about his abilities to handle, learn from, and enjoy, the wilds to come. His arrogance is charming, and well-earned.

Sulis

Most Chariot cards leave me cold. I find the energy of this particular trump a little too masculine. The Chariot was after all a vehicle designed for war and one of the meanings of this card is victory - Images of Ben Hur, complete with silver blades attatched to his wheels, mowing down everyone in his path spring to mind. :)

I do like this Chariot though. Maybe it's the fish-tailed zebras which seemto lend it some feminine energy. Maybe it's just that this charioteer looks quite friendly; dare I say camp even?

There's a panther in the background - what's the significance of this?
A bird of prey swoops overhead and the charioteer carries a spear. These animals are hunters and so is he. They have the self control and the skill to go after what they want and get it which is in many ways the essence of this card.

Love

Sulis xx

Seed Crystal

MMM I have often found this card uncomfortable too, like the Emperor and Hierophant; I just am not interested in anyone maybe especially men telling me what to think... But I do like the card in this deck; it seems more in touch with soul quest aspects; it's masculine but in a confident not offensive way. He reminds me of the ideal ancient Celt: valuing bravery, an arogant bravado which expects and honors the same, one who can talk with and seek to charm the gods themselves, trying to live a life worth living, a grand and beautiful life. A god among men who wants to walk among other gods and goddesses.

In the R-W deck, I was always sadly amused at how the charioteer was untterly not moving, and seemed cut off before the hips; and various pundits on the card seemed too in-the-head, tradition bound, and disconnected from earthy realities too. But this charioteer - whether moving or pausing he seems aware of his environment, open to real challenges. That the zebras are going into flowing water - of course! Why oh why did R-W just set itself in a desert??

RedMaple

I also have always had negative reactions to the Chariot -- as too male, as somehow static.

This card moves, even though everything seems pretty relaxes at the moment. I feel that the charioteer is talking to the zebras, that they are listening.

He seems to have that essence of a good hunter - to be ready. But he is not obsessed, not possessed by his goal.

I like that he is entering the water - the emotional world, and is charmed by the very female zebra-mermaids. I agree that this does balance out the usually male-heavy energy of this card. His relationship with the zebra creatures will of course, be vital when he really needs speed.

It is an example of having power with the zebra creatures, rather than power over them (as in the hierophant card.)

The only other Chariot card I like is from the Goddess deck, where it is Rhiannon riding a horse :).

Seed Crystal

RedMaple said:

It is an example of having power with the zebra creatures, rather than power over them (as in the hierophant card.)

Power with, power within, rather than power over, seems to be very consistently shown in this deck; see Strength or Lovers, for example. I like that a LOT.