circle-1 on Heart (French Cartomancy)

silverr

While flipping through these cards tonight, I suddenly noticed something I hadn't before. In the middle of the Heart card (J:heart:), there's a circle with a "1" in it - for no apparent reason that I can figure out. :confused:

There's nothing like this in the Dondorf or the Carreras (tobacco) decks, so it appears to be original with this LS edition. But...what's it for? I don't see it adding anything to the card's meaning, and it's not refered to in either the LWB or the BWB.

Anyone have an inside track on this? Or any ideas about it?

Bernice

I have this deck but as I don't usually use it for readings I've never noticed the circled I. Looking at it now.... very strange! Could it mean 'two are now one' or 'desire & expectation are now met in one' ? But that isn't how I read the Heart card unless it's with other cards that indicate it.

Very odd that no-one else has mentioned it ?!?

Bee

Astraea

I've noticed it, too, and I just figured it was a visual pun, as in "You're my number one" (similar to what Bernice surmises).

silverr

I found an online picture of the card, for anyone who doesn't have their copy handy:
http://draktarotlibrary.multiply.com/photos/album/193/French_Cartomancy_LS#26

I know we can find or make the 1 have meaning, just as the length of the Jack's moustache could turn out to mean something in a reading. But I find it very odd that the circle-1 is there at all, since this deck is almost otherwise a restoration edition of the Dondorf. (That, plus the Dondorf logo/signature was in the upper-right circle of each card; in French Cartomancy, that circle is replaced by a twin of the card number circle.)

They must have had a reason for adding it; I just can't think of what it might have been, lol.

Astraea

Right, silverr, I can't imagine, either. I have never seen any explanation for it. Odd!

The crowned one

Edit: a mistake LOL Goes to show how much a mind can fill in a blank!

silverr

LOL, thanks Tco! I'm afraid that now I've noticed it, I have a hard time seeing it as anything other than a copy/paste from the Rider card. :laugh:

Gavriela

I just thought it was a weird printing error.

silverr

Weird is a very good word for it! :D

Aerin

Could it be a reference to where the card is placed in another numbering system?

Like the Lenormand cards have a number, but it isn't in the same order as suit/ card numbers???

Aerin