"Embarassing" Decks

diane drizzy

Anyone have secret personal decks you use, but would deny owning?
OK-my dark secret is ......Miss Cleo...

mysticmoon

I have the "Miss Cleo" deck too, and I feel pretty embarrassed about owning it. But it was a gift from an experienced tarot reader friend (makes you wonder what kind of friend would give you Miss Cleo deck?!) so I can do nothing about it.

I know you are talking about embarrassing decks you actually read with, but I have never read with it. It is a blotch in my carefully selected tarot collection.:laugh:

Cenz

I have this deck that came along with Annie Lionnet book.I believe it's not official, the local book publisher just think that it'll increase the selling if there's a deck with it.

So the deck came with very flimsy cardstock, the back of the cards are some weird cracking pattern, and the images of the card is a mixture of everything.The magician is from Toth, the fool is from marseilles, the empress is from St.Petersburg.You get the idea.

But it reads strangely accurate and well.Although the ever changing images mean that i constantly need the book to help me out with the meaning.

...please don't tell anyone that i secretly love this deck.. :|
There's something about those embarassing decks.It's ugly but pretty in the same time..

diane drizzy

Cenz-your secret's safe with me!

All Is One

Tarot of The Witches

I bought the Tarot of the Witches in a bookstore as one of my early decks, back in the early nineties. I'd had the RWS and the Aquarian. Then several decks came in rapid order and one of these was the Tarot of the Witches.

I thought I would not be able to read with the unillustrated pips. But I was still looking up my cards quite often, so what difference would that have made?

I just got it home and looked at it and hated it.

Now all these years later, it's one of my favorite decks in my collection simply because it's the ugly step-child that no one likes. I don't read with it, but the sytle is so unusual that I consider it an art deck.

I loved it even more after I read Chris Butler's review just recently.

Tarot of the Witches

It's a bit of a little secret, as most people hate this deck. I did too!!!

Le Fanu

The deck I don´t tell anyone Ive got or I use is the Hanson-Roberts :)

ilweran

The Mystic Meg Tarot, which is only embarassing because it has her name on it. I really like Caroline Smiths art so had to have it.

WolfSpirit

Animal-Wise Tarot...

...although I am not really embarrassed by it because I mentioned it here several times. I am not a fan of the way it looks - it has real photos, pink borders, too many titles and keywords, re-naming of the suits (shapeshifter suit ???)...but sometimes it just works really well !

Greg Stanton

I like the Tarot of the Witches too. The artwork anyway. The only thing I don't really like about the deck are the thick borders -- especially on the trumps. I wish a new edition of this deck would be produced, without the borders, and with hand-lettered titles/numbers. The artwork itself is quite striking and deserves better.

I blush a little when I mention the Housewives Tarot. I've been poking around with it lately. It gives direct, concise readings, like any TdM. I think it's the lack of esoteric imagery that makes this deck so effective.

Cat*

Greg Stanton said:
I blush a little when I mention the Housewives Tarot. I've been poking around with it lately. It gives direct, concise readings, like any TdM. I think it's the lack of esoteric imagery that makes this deck so effective.
Yes, indeed. Thank you for reminding me what I liked about that deck. (I recently did a 2-month IDS with it, but got bored because of the lack of "depth." I believe I'll get back to it eventually, although certainly not as an only deck.)

I'm not embarrassed by owning/using any of my decks. On the contrary, I make it a point to publicly get serious readings out of decks that are often frowned upon as "not serious enough," like the Housewives or the Manara. :D