De-Enabling Thread

sapienza

I've had the Hadar Marseille on and off my wish-list for ages. Suddenly I feel like I really must try and get hold of this deck (not that it will be easy to do that)! Can anyone suggest any reasons why I shouldn't get it. Obviously I like decks with non-scenic pips, just in case anyone thinks that is a good reason :)

nisaba

sapienza said:
I've had the Hadar Marseille on and off my wish-list for ages. Suddenly I feel like I really must try and get hold of this deck (not that it will be easy to do that)! Can anyone suggest any reasons why I shouldn't get it. Obviously I like decks with non-scenic pips, just in case anyone thinks that is a good reason :)
Oh, Goddess.

It's clunky. It's ugly. Even your great-grandmother wouldn't have liked it, it would have been too fossilised for her. The colours are tolerable but really, it's just a 1996 re-issue of -erm- the Convo? one of the older Marseilleses, anyway, with the re-issuer's name tacked onto it. And because it's so new, it's tacky and brightly coloured, they haven't even had the decency to fade down the inks a bit. No original thought, and no authenticity. It's a bit of a stretch to fail on *both* those counts, because generally if you don't have one of them, you can default to the other one. This deck is skillful enough to fail on both counts.

<aside> Which does NOT make it collectible, Le Fanu!

sapienza

Really, are the colours that bright? They look quite lovely on-line.

LotusSong

Nytebugg said:
The 4 of cups has no cups and she looks like she is chewing on her own fingers. although I think she is supposed to be wiping the blood from her mouth. The woman in the 9 of cups is cross eyed.

Wow. Yeah, that would de-enable anyone. :bugeyed: Chewing on her own fingers? Gross! I'm certainly never going to be tempted by it ever again. I was going to tell my friend about that deck 'cause she loves vampires, but after hearing that? No way...

nisaba

<seizes upon de-enablement point>

Think: retinas burning.

Le Fanu

nisaba said:
And because it's so new, it's tacky and brightly coloured, they haven't even had the decency to fade down the inks a bit. No original thought, and no authenticity.

<aside> Which does NOT make it collectible, Le Fanu!
I hate to say this but that criticism of the colours sound more like the Camoin-Jodorowsky, which really is quite gaudy. The Hadar is actually quite muted. Recoloured, yes, but honestly sapienza, I don't reckon this is quite your style of Marseilles (PM me if you need some advice on which ones might be :eek:). Recoloured Marseilles date very easily (he says, thinking on his feet..)

The Hadar is simply not great. It maybe a bit slanderous to compare it to the Convos :D but anyway...

And, anyway, too late nisbaba, I already have it, collectible or not...

gregory

Le Fanu said:
And, anyway, too late nisaba, I already have it, collectible or not...
Well get shot. It is indeed not great. Not great at all. And mine is on the bright side. Get out there and buy yourselves Dusserre Dodals*, people.

Oh and by the way - in regard to the Spill that you all tried to deenable me about a while ago. I resisted - but I got it for my birthday. I can now de-enable you ALL on the grounds of the Sun card: it is centred on a large eye being pulled wider open by a lot of fishhooks..... :bugeyed:
Disturbing doesn't BEGIN....

The Hanged Man is a bit startling, too....

*I am assuming it is OK to enable decks that no-one can possibly.....?

sapienza

:bugeyed: Consider me de-enabled from THAT one.

Le Fanu....I've PM'd you, but honestly....I don't often hear anything negative about the Hadar....and if the colouring is muted....well, it is most appealing.

gregory

sapienza said:
:bugeyed: Consider me de-enabled from THAT one.

Le Fanu....I've PM'd you, but honestly....I don't often hear anything negative about the Hadar....and if the colouring is muted....well, it is most appealing.
Well in THAT case, I shall just have to HIT you a lot. :mad: You just aren't TRYING here.

sapienza

In my defense I've been de-enabling myself on this one for years. I even passed up the opportunity to pick one up in the trading thread very recently for a VERY good price. (I'm now deeply regretting it) but here I am, STILL trying to de-enable myself. But I need HELP. No urgency mind you, it's not like I can pop out and get a copy tomorrow...:)