Lord of Grails ~ Tarot of Vampyres

hopena

From my daily draw:

He looks triumphant. He's holding what looks like the head of a male Medusa, holding the head and his cup aloft, as his horse also rears - a powerful image. Does his holding this head, signify the winning out over nastier emotions?

WolfyJames

The rider shows up on the edge of a mountain with snowy (frozen water) mountains in the back. The rider only bears an helmet and a black cloak, and we cannot see his face. On his left hands he holds a cup and his left hand holds the head of a male medusa. Considering the medusa appeared on the Seven of Cups and the card was showing our darker side and emotions, I agree with hopena that slaughtering that medusa is getting rid of darker emotions or darker aspects of ourselves. The horse is standing upright on two feet. All the Lords are caught in a moment and they all look fierce and not the type you want to mess with. This card is fire in water, and while I can find the water as the frozen snow on the mountains in the background I cannot find the fiery aspects. The only elements all Lord cards have are the horses of course and the storms they're in. I'm guessing either the storm or the horse represents that fire.

The Tarot of Vampyres is inspired by the Thoth Tarot so this card is the Knight of Cups in the Thoth Tarot and the King of Cups in the RWS.

Attachments

• cups14200.jpg
    cups14200.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,151

Zechariah13

Also, remember the legend of Medusa. When her blood was shed, it was either poisonous or created monstrous scorpions, depending on the legend you read. So not only has he, an effective Perseus, slain Medusa, he has contained her venomous blood in his grail, where it can do no harm. Connect Medusa to negative emotions and i think that sends a powerful statement.

MaineGirl117

7 of Cups vs. Lord of Grails link Discussion of connections between Medusa & Pegesus Mythology and symbolism

MaineGirl117

I think the fire in this card is contained within the lightening.

Edit: After doing a quick search, it is said that Pegasus brought the thunder and lightening to Zeus, so .. YEP, there's your fire!

Hemera

Also, remember the legend of Medusa. When her blood was shed, it was either poisonous or created monstrous scorpions, depending on the legend you read. So not only has he, an effective Perseus, slain Medusa, he has contained her venomous blood in his grail, where it can do no harm..
And used by the worthy person (powerful and with pure intentions) it can also heal. Goddess Athena and Asclepios (God of Medicine) used the blood for healing and even for raising the dead.

MaineGirl117

Based on your comments in the 7 of Grails where you say that Medusa symbolizes our dark side - what's the message being sent by the Lord of Grails? He effectively cuts off the head of Medusa, a very violent act, yet it could be supposed that it is one of mercy, to liberate her from her wretched existence?

And the reference to the Pegasus and poetry... out of such inner turmoil, or - in facing our deepest desires, heartbreaks, shadows, births the poetic soul? I've read that one of the greatest tools of a writer is to draw on the hardest, most troublesome heartbreaks and disappointments in life which give birth to some of the most beautiful and profound works of art and literature. Like Romeo and Juliet, unrequited love so pure yet so sad.

And further, the reference to her blood being able to heal and resurrect the dead. I would concur with this. I have long thought the Lord of Grails to be the ideal candidate for a doctor or shaman.

Hemera

Based on your comments in the 7 of Grails where you say that Medusa symbolizes our dark side - what's the message being sent by the Lord of Grails? He effectively cuts off the head of Medusa, a very violent act, yet it could be supposed that it is one of mercy, to liberate her from her wretched existence?.
Well I I guess I just thought about that Asclepios/shaman aspect since it looks like he is collecting the blood in his chalice. So it could be like medicine -a substance transforming from poison into something healing?