Night Sun Tarot

G6

I traded this one away pretty quickly. It felt souless and flat. I didn't connect with it.

Laura Borealis

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I'm really digging the repeating elements, like the cage that appears on several cards (the High Priestess, the Empress, the Hanged Man, the Queen and King of Swords). Sometimes there's a heart in the cage; sometimes there's not. The heart also appears without the cage. There are a lot of narcissus flowers. There's a leather club chair that stands in for a throne in many cards, which is a nice way to update the throne as a symbol.

Several of the characters repeat, too. The woman on Strength is on several of the Wands cards (or someone like her). The Lovers could be the Emperor and Empress's younger selves. The men on the Two of Swords appear on the Three of Swords also. Those are just a few examples.

The textures and colors are really satisfying, too. The color coding of the suits just grabs me. Yeah, I'm going to pick this one up eventually. I have to see how it looks in person.

Thanks for posting that. I am on my cell so I can't see the details very well. I am surprised that there are at least some unique seals in the background cards... Interesting! I am pretty sure it won't work for me as a reading deck but I might pick it up sometime. The male/female imbalance is irritating though, especially when I compare to the Mutational Alchemy Tarot, another somewhat dark-appearing esoteric deck. It doesn't have to be this way!

Just going by numbers, it seems fairly balanced to me. There may be a few more men than women. Some figures are ambiguous to me, like some of the Pages, but that's pretty common in court cards.

I get what Le Fanu was saying about how the depiction of women seems less credible than the male figures. A lot of the women have that stereotypical fantasy art figure with large breasts. With the Empress it kind of works because of the fecund aspect of that archetype. I could live without the large breasts on the Star, though. :neutral:

Achlys

Personally, I find the deck very easy to read with.
To me, I think it draws mainly from sacred geometry than specific sigils.
I've found it to follow more of the Thoth system than the RWS, although it's somewhat a blend of the two systems.

Myrrha

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I'm really digging the repeating elements, like the cage that appears on several cards (the High Priestess, the Empress, the Hanged Man, the Queen and King of Swords). Sometimes there's a heart in the cage; sometimes there's not. The heart also appears without the cage. There are a lot of narcissus flowers. There's a leather club chair that stands in for a throne in many cards, which is a nice way to update the throne as a symbol.

Several of the characters repeat, too. The woman on Strength is on several of the Wands cards (or someone like her). The Lovers could be the Emperor and Empress's younger selves. The men on the Two of Swords appear on the Three of Swords also. Those are just a few examples.

The textures and colors are really satisfying, too. The color coding of the suits just grabs me. Yeah, I'm going to pick this one up eventually. I have to see how it looks in person.

Just going by numbers, it seems fairly balanced to me. There may be a few more men than women. Some figures are ambiguous to me, like some of the Pages, but that's pretty common in court cards.

I get what Le Fanu was saying about how the depiction of women seems less credible than the male figures. A lot of the women have that stereotypical fantasy art figure with large breasts. With the Empress it kind of works because of the fecund aspect of that archetype. I could live without the large breasts on the Star, though. :neutral:

Yes it is more the tone of the depictions of women than any numerical imbalance that irritates me. I will have to look at more cards, it could be that one or two gave me that impression but it isn't as bad as I thought.

The repetitions could be great. I read for a long time with the Tarot Draconis where there is pretty much one male and one female character that repeated throughout the deck with a lot of other visual repetitions and references between cards. It works out well because it forms links between the cards in a reading. It would bother me more in the case of something like a Solomonic seal or sigil that has a particular meaning being used as a decoration on cards where the particular meaning doesn't fit well.

If I could find a site with good pictures of this deck online I might be content with that and look for a Golden Dawn deck to buy instead since I seem to be craving something more symbolic.

imno007

Yes it is more the tone of the depictions of women than any numerical imbalance that irritates me. I will have to look at more cards, it could be that one or two gave me that impression but it isn't as bad as I thought.

The repetitions could be great. I read for a long time with the Tarot Draconis where there is pretty much one male and one female character that repeated throughout the deck with a lot of other visual repetitions and references between cards. It works out well because it forms links between the cards in a reading. It would bother me more in the case of something like a Solomonic seal or sigil that has a particular meaning being used as a decoration on cards where the particular meaning doesn't fit well.

If I could find a site with good pictures of this deck online I might be content with that and look for a Golden Dawn deck to buy instead since I seem to be craving something more symbolic.

You can check them all out here:

http://tarotator.com/night-sun-tarot-deck/

And you can get a pretty good look at all of the cards here, if you pause the video for a better look at the ones that really interest you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMYR_418Yzg

Spiffo

For fans of the deck a little bird told me that Fabio will have some exciting news, very soon.

frac_ture

I keep having the same response to this deck that I have to the Mary-El: that is, I feel a recurring pull toward them, I examine the card-scans online, and I'm then reminded that while I love some of the images and find many of them brilliant and beautiful...I also find some of them actively unappealing and off-putting. And there are enough in this latter category in both decks for me that I keep on not giving in to the urge-to-buy feelings that I do have for them.

But who knows what might happen in the days ahead -- I try to never say never...

imno007

For fans of the deck a little bird told me that Fabio will have some exciting news, very soon.

I'd really like to know what that is. I've been hoping for a good guidebook - the lack of one has made me hesitant to buy the deck. And in a perfect world, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the digital art replaced with hand-drawn art, like that guy on the left on the Lovers card, whose head looks just a wee too big for his body. But overall I really like the look of the deck, so I'll settle for what I can get. :)