Lee Bursten vs Jodorowsky

Greg Stanton

JMD's book is the most useful book I have read on the TdM, because most of it is based on solid historical research.

Very little of Jodorowsky's book is based on actual research. What he has chosen to include on his deck (as opposed to an actual historical deck), is arbitrary and often without precedent (like the curly knife on the Juggler card). He sees things that aren't actually pictured on the cards (like eagle feathers, extra fingers and toes, and vaginas). The color scheme for his deck, we are told, was taken from a "very old" deck found in a shoe box, but no explanation is offered as to why this very old deck is more "correct" than other very old decks. He ridicules the esotericism of the Golden Dawn and Waite, but freely incorporates many of their ideas (like the elemental attributions of the pips — and why should they have elemental attributions at all?), again without a valid reason, other than "it works, so why not?" Chapters on the trumps are given modern names rather than historical names (like "The High Priestess" rather than "The Female Pope" or "La Papessa".) Odd for a book that claims to be the definitive, final argument for a historical tarot.

Jodorowsky's book is poorly researched, and even more poorly reasoned. For a thinking person it is one of the most frustrating books on Tarot ever written.

herself

Out of curiosity Greg, what do you think of the Jodorowsky deck? I've not seen that either and just wonder if it too, like the book is...anomalous?

Greg Stanton

It's ok, but I think genuine historical decks are more interesting. It looks like a TDM, but Jodo played with a lot of the details to make the cards conform to his own mystical ideas. There's nothing wrong with this — but to claim that the deck is somehow a genuine, restored TDM is ludicrous.

herself

Fair enough. I've tossed up over the years as to whether I should have a look at his book and deck. I still can't make up my mind!

edit: "tossed up"? er... you know what I mean :D

swedishfish612

I realllly want Reading the Marseille Tarot...should I chance it with that Lulu site? I've looked on Amazon, eBay, and on the trading forum here, and no luck.

surpeti

Reading the Marseille Tarot

I got the pdf from lulu--it wasn't as pricey. I would have loved a print copy as I have a kind of old kindle and it's a bit annoying on there. But on a computer or newer device I think the pdf would be fine. It's a really helpful book.

gregory

I would have loved it in print too - but my gripe was that when I got mine from lulu it simply would not open in ANYTHING. Jean-Michel helped me out, but I don't plan to used that Adobe programme ever again. I'd have demanded my money back - though proving one didn't get a digital book would be tough - but I wanted it SO much ! It is WELL worth the money.

rwcarter

I realllly want Reading the Marseille Tarot...should I chance it with that Lulu site? I've looked on Amazon, eBay, and on the trading forum here, and no luck.
I bought the paper copy from Lulu and didn't have any problems.