Randomized spreads

Alex

Has everyone here ever used a spread that is chosen from a randomized collection of positions written on index-cards?

The postions are chosen randomly, face down, after shuffliing and cutting, and the cards are then put over these positions, face down, after shuffling and cutting.

Eissej

I'm not sure I understand what exactly you are describing. Do you mean you write what you want the positions to mean on index cards, move them around face down then deal on top of it? So you would know what you would end up with, but not where it would be. That sounds interesting. Kind of giving the cards more variables.

Alex

Exactly

I can't find anymore the website where I got it from, it explains things a bit better.

I haven't tried it but wanted to know if someone has.

Alex.

Kyrielle

Okay, what I'm imagining is this. I don't know if it's what Alex is talking about, but it would be interesting anyway.

Take a bunch of index cards and write a position word or phrase on each one. For example, on one card, you can write "Past influences," on another you could write "Hopes," etc. Do as many of these as you wish. The more the better. Borrow phrases at random from your favorite spread book, or from different spreads on this forum.

Put the index cards in a hat or shoebox or bag and shake the container up. Pick one index card. Then draw a Tarot card and place it on its index card. The words on the index card are the Tarot card's meaning assigned for this spread. Match up as many index cards to Tarot cards as you wish for the spread. Then read the cards.

The number of combinations of index cards possible for a simple three-card spread could be astronomical, depending on how many index cards you make up. So you could end up reading your Past, Present, and Future regarding your situation....or you could end up reading Past, Helpful People, and General Advice; or Hopes, Challenges, and Others' Perspective of You... etc. You get the idea.

So it would be sort of a double-layered oracle: One level is the Tarot cards that you choose, the other level is the positions you choose.

Hey, now I'll go off and try this! :)

-- Kyrielle

Alex

Kyrielle

That's what I meant.

Alex.

Trogon

Alex and Kyrielle... interesting idead. Looking forward to reports on how this turns out for you.

Hedera

How about going one step further?

You could use a second deck, maybe just the majors, and assign position-meanings to those cards, use them as you would the index cards, and then use your regular reading deck to do the reading.
Is this making sense?
For instance, you could use the Hierophant for 'past influences', the moon for 'what is hidden', the Sun for 'what will come to light', the fool for 'the unexpected', or maybe the tower for that...

Why use dull index cards when we all have so many lovely decks?

Alex

Re: How about going one step further?

I guess because I don't have your immagination!

Hedera said:
Why use dull index cards when we all have so many lovely decks?