Thoth Deck 15 card spread

jlbvt

I realise a lot of you out there (like me) use the Crowly-Harris Thoth deck. I want to know what people think of the 15 card spread which is eaplained in the Little White Book.
I used to use that spread exclusively, because it explaines so much, with five areas covered by 3 cards each. But it takes so long, not to mention a large table to do it on.
I also got confused a lot with the last part, (if I remember right) outcome if you change the path you are on. How do you know what to change? Do you do another reading to find out what you should change, or do those 3 cards tell you what to change and the outcome after that change?
I only do a 3 card spread now because I had a baby last year so I don't have much time for myself anymore. Does anyone have an idea for a spread that is more than 3 but less than 15 cards?
Thanks!

Macavity

I'm far from being an authority, but I have been putting a lot of thought into this spread lately and doing some web searching. I have uncovered e.g. MANY versions of:

http://www.geocities.com/secretive/LayoutFAQ4.html

This seems quite useful inasmuch as it refers under note 1.32 to various "Thoth" spreads, with a BRIEF allusion to the problem re. the fixing and changing to which you refer? ;) Perhaps more would be revealed with a search on e.g. "Peach's Thoth Spread" etc.

There are also references e.g. to Cicero's 10-card spread on:

http://www.supertarot.co.uk/spread/10card.htm

This (imo) seems broadly in line with the sort of "elemental dignity stuff" and multiples of three cards I am labouring to understand (LOL!). A sort of extended cross? Perhaps there are some original references to Chic Cicero's ideas?

Mac - who evidently has a small table! Thoth is a biggie :D

Aside: Does anyone know how upto date these alt.tarot FAQs are? E.G. Is a recent and definitive version is still maintained of this stuff? I tend to avoid "alt." groups generally these days...

RingTheory

Yeah, I often do the 15 card "english" spread while using thoth, but only once or twice a month. Other times, I use a 3-card or split hexagram with them. I never use the Celtic Cross with them, the elemntal dignities confuse me, so I like more linear spreads.

The two futures-one is supposed to be uninvoked, the other invoked, but only if they contradict each other. For me, usually they are in sync, for better or worse. But if they do conflict, say the invoked side is bad, but the other side much better, it tells me to use no magick to change the future. If the opposite is true, I'll use magick to help change it into the better, alternative future. And the psychological and karmatic factors weigh in, also.

It is, as you say, an in-depth spread, sometimes overkill...

jlbvt

That is exactly what confuses me, though I never thought to use magic to change the outcome. I got the impression that I was supposed to change whatever I was doing at the time, relating to the question I was asking of the cards. I will definitely have to try magic! Thanks!

Laurel

I use this spread consistently, however I'm flexible with those top two rows. Often times what they are "for" is situational, imo. Everything else is more or less consistent, but sometimes the top offers two different approaches, or reflects what will happen or not happen if certain changes are made, or provides the same answer, but from two different approaches.

Laurel

DeLani

I like this spread when I'm at a very emotional or spritual crossroads.
I read each set of 3 together, to get their "combined" meaning.
I take the two futures this way:
The right hand side is what you are already doing, or what is expected, conventional, etc.
The left hand side is if you take a very different approach, the unexpected, following your intuition instead of logic, etc.
I don't know about the elemental dignities, but I take the elements of the suits into account with the overall reading.

Minos

About a year ago, I changed the bottom right hand corner ("factors beyond your control") to "that which has yet to reveal itself". It seems to 'work' better for me.

Minos

jlbvt said:
Does anyone have an idea for a spread that is more than 3 but less than 15 cards?
Thanks!

Instead of laying out 15 cards in 5 groups of three, you could just lay out 5 cards in each of five positions, like this:

3*****2
***1***
4*****5

And read the positions the same way.