The Chariot and Cancer (zodiac)

Ace of Stars

In the Golden Dawn system of correspondences, The Chariot is linked to the zodiac sign, Cancer. I find this strange and hard to understand -- it's certainly not the card I'd think of when thinking of Cancer.

What do you think? Does it make sense to you?

Brown Eyed Mystic

In the Golden Dawn system of correspondences, The Chariot is linked to the zodiac sign, Cancer. I find this strange and hard to understand -- it's certainly not the card I'd think of when thinking of Cancer.

What do you think? Does it make sense to you?

I think it does, in one way. I feel Cancer signs, like a crab, don't move in a straight line but sideways or are tilted in their gait. They have difficulty in making decisions. They don't make decisions immediately but weigh possibilities and can take forever.

The Chariot also seems like he's trying to balance two sides, as if he's weighing and controlling things.

Then again, I'm very new to this, so just sharing my first thoughts with you :)

BEM

Barleywine

The chariot in the image is like a "portable fortress" similar to a crab's carapace. The idea that the chariot resembles a "movable fence" supports the association of the card with the Hebrew letter Cheth, which Paul Foster Case says "corresponds to the ideas represented by the words carapace and shell. It symbolizes "defense in motion" (or "the best defense is a good offense") as well and therefore hard to overcome. This supports the traditional idea of "conquest."

Zephyros

Yes, it does make sense, if you go according to the system. It may not make intuitive sense, but it does fit in the overall scheme. This doesn't mean that the Chariot embodies the personality traits we would read in a horoscope about Cancer, it is rather quite a bit more involved.

But, rather than tell you why I do think it makes sense, I'm curious as to why you think it doesn't.

Ace of Stars

But, rather than tell you why I do think it makes sense, I'm curious as to why you think it doesn't.

I guess I'm just thinking more of the common personality traits of Cancer: sensitive, protective, home-body. The Hermit, The Moon -- those feel like a better fit (I realize they're taken though).

The Chariot makes me think more of Capricorn or Aries -- zodiac signs associated with determination and ambition.

I think if I tap more into the spiritual aspect of The Chariot I'll begin to understand.

JackofWands

This is perhaps the single astrological association that was always the most difficult for me (aside from the Sun in the Ten of Swords, with which I'm slowly coming to terms). As Closrapexa said, the attributions are based on a system, not on assigning the signs to the cards that fit them best. Knowing that system, and seeing how the correlation between the Chariot and Cancer was derived, I can accept it, but I agree with you that the two aren't actually terribly similar in terms of the traits they embody.

Because of this, I tend to think of Cancer as a different, hidden aspect of the personality that the Chariot can represent. If I pull Key VII in a reading and it doesn't make sense to interpret it as traditional Chariotesque restlessness, then I'll look at the card through the astrological lens and interpret the Cancerian aspects instead. Similarly, if I pull other cards that are astrologically related to Cancer (i.e. the 2, 3, 4, and Queen of Cups), then I'll remark that there's a pervasive Cancerian energy in the reading that extends beyond just the Chariot. Maybe the Chariot itself represents big plans and far-off places, but the overall tone of the reading could still be one of staying close to home.

In short, the Chariot as Cancer is never my primary interpretation. I look at the astrological association of the card as a second interpretation, to help nuance my reading or fill in any gaps that might be apparent.

Girl Archer

For all their appearance of warm and fuzzy, cancerians are ultimately cardinal signs. That, I think ties in very well with the chariot.

Babalon Jones

I guess I'm just thinking more of the common personality traits of Cancer: sensitive, protective, home-body. The Hermit, The Moon -- those feel like a better fit (I realize they're taken though).

The Chariot makes me think more of Capricorn or Aries -- zodiac signs associated with determination and ambition.

I think if I tap more into the spiritual aspect of The Chariot I'll begin to understand.

Just to point out, that like Capricorn and Aries, Cancer is a cardinal sign. Yes they are sensitive and protective, but they can also be very controlling and ambitious!

edited to add, I just noticed Girl Archer said much the same

Babalon Jones

Also to add that when I think of the trumps, they are more than just their sign, planet or element. They are that plus their path on the tree of life and Hebrew letter and a whole host of interrelated things. It is really a beautiful system!

Zephyros

Also to add that when I think of the trumps, they are more than just their sign, planet or element. They are that plus their path on the tree of life and Hebrew letter and a whole host of interrelated things. It is really a beautiful system!

Very well put. Also, some of them have "special" attributions that transcend any normal attributes. For example the Hermit is attributed to Virgo, symbol of unlimited, untapped female potential. However he is also attributed to Yod, a symbol of male potential. On one hand both of them mean the same, but Yod the seed in the womb of Virgo brings to mind exactly why the Hermit is a hermit (because nothing else has been created yet). In the Thoth is brings to mind the symbolism of the infinitely contracted point of Hadit in the infinitely expanding space of Nuit.

So really, when looking at the Trumps it is important to look at them as a composite, with each element working together. No one attribution gives the whole picture.