if I am only to own one Marseille...

le_charior

This deck is available at Alida Store for 46.50 euros which would be under US$40. Very traditional; superb coloring; humorous; beautiful; AND a limited edition deck of only 2000! Quality card. Easy to obtain too.

Yes, I don't think you can go too far wrong with the Tarocco Soprafino. :)

The Soprafino is lovely, but as THE ONLY Marseille deck I wouldn't go for it, it's too far off the "classic" or "traditional" TdM style. I would go for a a TdM-1 style deck like the Noblet or Dodal or a TdM-2 style deck like the Chosson by Yves, (that you can see here , btw - at least the Majors.) IMHO these are the best choices if you are really to only get one TdM deck in your life, but in the end it is of course a question of personal taste!

Sulis

I could easily make do with only the CBD Marseille. The very similar Marteau-Grimaud would be a close second. I don't like facsimile's of older decks because I feel that the deterioration of the images due to age and use somehow detracts from their authenticity. I think that Flornoy's careful reconstructions of the Noblet and Dodal are about as close to authentic as one can get, but I really prefer the Conver images as used in the hugely popular CBD and Grimaud decks. If that makes me a member of the great, unwashed, illiterate, know-nothing, non-purist majority, then so be it. At least this is consistent with my preference for the Rider-Waite among twentieth century decks. :D

This is exactly how I feel... The CBD is the perfect deck in my opinion.
I don't actually like Flornoy's Noblet at all - those nipples just look so wrong and I feel certain that they weren't depicted like that in the original deck..

Bertrand

If it were only one, you should definitely take the Chosson.

The Chosson is the perfect archetype of the most known Marseille style deck, the details are nearly identical to the Conver (which is the de facto "standard") but it's much more beautiful. The reproduction offers a better printing quality than what you would find for the Conver.

The Marseille tradition was built upon TdM2 decks so no TfM1 type decks, neither Dodal nor Noblet nor Payen, are representative of the historical aspect of "tarot reading" - even if I personally prefer them. The Conver had a huge influence and posterity, so that's the pattern you're looking for, and the best example available of this particular pattern is the Chosson.

The Madenié is maybe even better but more a "connoisseur" item, and is a less close to the Conver (although still very close) - so I really would suggest going with the Chosson if it's only one, add Madenié if it's two decks, and then a Conver repro but you won't find (for the moment) a proper reproduction with good cardstock and appropriate backs.

The Grimaud is also another "standard" TdM, and a huge reference (most important books about Tarot from the XXth century - the Anonymous Meditations or Jean Carteret writings - are based upon it) but if your "one and only" Marseille deck shall be representative of Tarot history and its influence on, say, the Waite-Smith deck, then it's not appropriate.

Bertrand

Bluefeet

I would recommend any reproductions by either Flornoy or TdM Heritage. These are high quality decks which are easy to obtain and reasonably priced.

DeToX

Good points there Bertrand!

BSwett

Some would probably argue that it does not belong in a pure TdM list, but I think it follows the tradition very very closely, and NO other tarot makes me feel like it. I would whole heartedly suggest Fournier's Spanish Tarot. It's raw, quirky, and fascinating. It fits in your hands like no other Tarot. A must.

prudence

... which one should I purchase?

This would be used as an example to friends and clients simply as a talking point and reference of the Marseille tradition. Something to pass around the living room while geeking out with people new to the art.
traditional in feel, and coloring preferably.

Preferably one I can obtain relatively easily, and not expensive (under $40).

Your thoughts?

I haven't priced the il Meneghello decks in a while, but any one of their TdM/historical decks would be a fantastic addition to a collection, and as for passing it around with your friends, it would certainly impress in both looks and feel. They actually feel old, texture-wise. Their packaging is also superb.

Tarot Orat

I was just going to post this very question when I saw this thread! I've got the Hadar TdM but have been itching for another. (They are indeed addictive...) I'll check out what everyone's mentioned!

alan

I second the Noblet, but it is relatively small in size (which is part of it's great charm) - or the Chosson deck if you want something a bit larger.

ETA: and be warned, that's how it started for most of us I think, just one Marseille deck... and then you get sucked in and all of a sudden you are craving to have them ALL! ;) so much variety, so much history, such a richness of bigger and more subtle differences...

How very true lol. I'm just going to put my soul on ebay to try and raise some more money to feed my Marseille addiction.

Lokismile

Thanks all.

question: is the Flornoy and the Tarot de Marseille Fournier one in the same? The latter is available for purchase from a member; I do not want to get the wrong one, however, as I am going with Penthasilia's suggestion.