The monogram in the four of swords

cirom

When my wife nags me and says things like Jesus Christ, will you pick up your socks, or Jesus Christ will you stop walking through the house with muddy shoes....she means it.
Here is the origin of my name. Though the two letters look like P and X in the English alphabet, they are actually chi (looks like X) and rho (looks like P) from the Greek alphabet. They also happen to be the first two letters of "Christ" in Greek (Christos). Hence the chi-rho monogram is used as a symbol of Christ, Christianity, and Christians.
Here is a video of the the four of Swords from the Legacy of the Divine Tarot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCBIljCbOk

Alta

Nicely done video. I was aware that X stood for Him because of the fairly widespread use of the abbreviation Xmas, but not the rest.

Nemia

(My apologies but I teach this stuff so bear with me - maybe someone's interested?)

You will find the chi-rho very often in medieval art, e.g. Byzantine mosaics in the Hagia Sophia or other churches in the former East Roman empire, but also in illustrated manuscripts, even those that were written in Latin like the Book of Kells.

Together with the fish and the cross, it belongs to the most ancient Christian symbols. It's said that this is the sign that Constantine the maybe-not-so-Great saw at the Milvian bridge, and by adopting it, he changed history. Well, it's probably a legend, but one that helped the chi rho get publicity.

Very nice to find it in this deck! especially in this card where it really fits because it evokes an ancient church, site of spiritual recuperation for generations...

Grizabella

Well, cirom, did you tell her that Jesus Christ would naturally have muddy shoes and socks since he walks on water, but you don't think it's your place to pick up his socks and muddy shoes for him? :p

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :bugeyed:

Tanga

I see... :joke:
Thanks for sharing that Ciro.

The power of names... they can be so interesting. (imo - I should add). :)

MandMaud

That's a lovely video, Ciro; I haven't seen any of the vids of your decks before. (ridiculously slow internet here!)

(My apologies but I teach this stuff so bear with me - maybe someone's interested?)

I'm interested! :) I even know why the fish, letter by letter. :angel:

nisaba

When my wife nags me and says things like Jesus Christ, will you pick up your socks, or Jesus Christ will you stop walking through the house with muddy shoes....she means it.
Here is the origin of my name. Though the two letters look like P and X in the English alphabet, they are actually chi (looks like X) and rho (looks like P) from the Greek alphabet. They also happen to be the first two letters of "Christ" in Greek (Christos). Hence the chi-rho monogram is used as a symbol of Christ, Christianity, and Christians.

<cackle> I always knew you were a Divine Being!