Optimism / Pessimism Spread (predicting events)

vernissage

Originally, I was going to design a spread to see if there was anything to look forward to that week, but then I realized I was being excessively pessimistic -- there is always silver lining. Ergo, I created this spread instead. It shows a good event and a bad event for the day the spread is done, the next day, the week it's done in, and the month it's done in. From experience, this spread may reveal events that have already occurred that week or month, &c. This spread is very accurate.

` ` ` `10 ` 12` ` ` `
1 3 5 7 ` 9 ` 8 6 4 2
` ` ` `11 ` 13` ` ` `

1. Something good that will happen today.

2. Something bad that will happen today.

3. Something good that will happen tomorrow.

4. Something bad that will happen tomorrow.

5. Something good that will happen this week.

6. Something bad that will happen this week.

7. Something good that will happen this month.

8. Something bad that will happen this month.

9. The most self-affecting and/or life-affecting event this month.

10, 11. Advice to increase the likeliness of the good events.

12, 13. Advice to decrease the likeliness of the bad events.

Note: Usually when I read with this spread, I only allow the "good" interpretations of the cards in the good spots, and the "bad" ones in the bad spots. I hope this clears some confusion.

- V.

jojojo

This spread looks really good, but I am a little confused as to how you interprete a positive card if it comes up in a bad position. For example I got the 2 cups for something bad that will happen this month and the 3 of cups as the most life affecting event this month. Is it just that you interprete the card as though it is reversed if it is in a 'bad' position ie, relationship will not go well or you felt as though you would be celebrating but something will happen that will stop this celebration occuring.

redfairy

hi

Though this spread seems to be really good, i agree with you jojojo, i'm confused about how to interpret the cards there... also, if you get The Tower in the position for something good that will happen, what then???

vernissage

redfairy said:
Though this spread seems to be really good, i agree with you jojojo, i'm confused about how to interpret the cards there... also, if you get The Tower in the position for something good that will happen, what then???
Thank you, jojojo, redfairy. I've had this curiosity happen to me too, and seeing as the events foretold have already taken place, I can answer this question with some experience. I use Thoth Tarot, which does not use reversals, so my experiences are a little different, but I believe I can be helpful regardless:

The position of the card in the spread, ie: something bad that will happen today, denotes whether or not the card is positive or negative in and of itself. With this in mind, if the card doesn't already lean more towards being good or bad, I usually use its position in the spread to determine its meaning.

With decks that use reversals, I suggest you do the same -- if the card isn't reversed, seeing as that is usually the only way to tell if it leans one way or the other, assume it follows its placement in the spread. If it's in a good spot, assume the non-reversed meaning. If it's in a bad spot, assume the reversed meaning.

If it's in a good spot and reversed... For me, the bad event usually turns out to be very good by the end of the time period indicated, but there may be other twists. As always, use your intuition.

I hope this bit of guidance has been helpful.

Do tell me if everything works out well.

- V.

rcb30872

I'll have to agree with this.

Each card, whether upright or reversed, has several meanings, some being good and some being bad. It makes it tricky for some readings, at the best of times, due to the varying meanings of just one card!!

Bec

vernissage

To reduce confusion, I have started noticing the trend of cards whose 'bad' meanings in the 'bad' places tend to come true, whereas the 'good' meanings in 'good' places tend to do the same, except in card #9.

- V.

stpcarly

Hmm this would be interesting to try, although if a good card ends up on a bad position, reading it reversed wouldn't necessarily bring about the "bad"meaning to it, at least not the way I read.

As for the two of cups in a bad position, that could indicate several things. Two people come together that you feel shouldn't come together, you could be attracted to someone and have a fling or your partner or someone you know. Although the card in itself is a good card, it may not be good for you at that time. I hope I made sense there lol.

vernissage

stpcarly said:
As for the two of cups in a bad position, that could indicate several things. Two people come together that you feel shouldn't come together, you could be attracted to someone and have a fling or your partner or someone you know. Although the card in itself is a good card, it may not be good for you at that time. I hope I made sense there lol.

That's an excellent interpretation, and is probably the case if a 2 of Cups turns up in a "bad" position in this spread.

iseekserendipity

First of all: love the spread!

Following on and agreeing with stpcarly, I would say that I think "good" things can come at "bad" times, or in the "wrong" form I think, and that is how I would personally interpret a "good" card in a "bad" position. As well, one could say that one can live something positive but not see the positive of it or not appreciate it for its worth. Similarly, as the Tower was mentioned, it does warn of "destruction" (goodness I'm into quotes today, forgive me all!) and impending crumbling of the ego (that's how it has come up for me often lately at least!) but maybe what comes after, the rebuilding of the Tower - or even, the loss you/the querent wasn't willing to have - was/is such an incredible thing that its "greatness" outweighs the crumbling... You know? Do I make sense? *bewildered look around*

My only issue with this spread is the "bad" and "good" terms, although I do understand them and their use. I think that out of something bad you can ideally "optimize" and hopefully at the very least grow. And something good, when unapreciated can be very wasted. And then it's just a memory... Or maybe I'm too silly today! LOL Love the spread though. Gave me some interesting insight into the month!

vernissage

iseekserendipity said:
Following on and agreeing with stpcarly, I would say that I think "good" things can come at "bad" times, or in the "wrong" form I think, and that is how I would personally interpret a "good" card in a "bad" position. As well, one could say that one can live something positive but not see the positive of it or not appreciate it for its worth. Similarly, as the Tower was mentioned, it does warn of "destruction" (goodness I'm into quotes today, forgive me all!) and impending crumbling of the ego (that's how it has come up for me often lately at least!) but maybe what comes after, the rebuilding of the Tower - or even, the loss you/the querent wasn't willing to have - was/is such an incredible thing that its "greatness" outweighs the crumbling... You know? Do I make sense? *bewildered look around*

My only issue with this spread is the "bad" and "good" terms, although I do understand them and their use. I think that out of something bad you can ideally "optimize" and hopefully at the very least grow. And something good, when unapreciated can be very wasted. And then it's just a memory... Or maybe I'm too silly today! LOL Love the spread though. Gave me some interesting insight into the month!

Heheh, yes, thank you, I do understand. There are positive and negative aspects to all of the cards, really, even if the Little White Book doesn't specify them. ;) Sometimes it does take some 'optimizing' to find that silver lining. It was difficult to find a single word to summarize my 'understanding' of the 'good' and 'bad' positions, which is why I eventually gave in to those simple terms.

Thank you for the feedback; I'm glad it was insightful!

- V.