Sabian Symbols Study Group: Leo 18 - #138

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com

Sun Sign: LEO
Degree: 18
Number: 138

Symbol: A CHEMIST CONDUCTS AN EXPERIMENT FOR HIS STUDENTS.

purple_scorp

I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

Attachments

• 137.jpg
    137.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 207

tink27

I took chemistry in high school and college. Although the setting up of the experiments were tedious….the carefully planned results were truly amazing. We had to begin our studies with simple experiments and repeatedly follow the strict rules of our teacher. One drop too many of a certain compound and the whole lab could explode! So, the first thing we needed to learn was discipline and structure. And yes, I got in trouble quite a few times for not following the procedures…..I burnt my hand one time!

When I first looked at purple_scorp’s picture, I thought where’s the students and then realized it could be you and me! We’re probably settling into our seats as the teacher carefully sets up his planned experiment. To him, these are old experiments and have been done in his classroom countless times….but for the students it’s a whole new discovery! And it will be with focused determination and patience, that they will pass this class and succeed to other things. OR are we the teacher?

The more I delve into the Sabian Symbols the more I’m understanding that rituals and traditions that have been passed down through the ages are so very important. Yes the world and nature is constantly changing, and we have absolutely no control over this….but the strong and stable influence of tradition, gives us a foothold to stand on. It’s orderly, formal and (sometimes) offers good counsel. Something, I know, I’m having to learn in this lifetime.

We’ve made great strides in researching and discovering the cure for different diseases, such cancer and heart disease. I chose to discuss the discovery of insulin….in remembrance of my brother who passed away from a diabetic coma.

Frederick Banting (nobel prize winner) was a major player in the discovery of insulin. At first, he started from the basics…..from the original experiments and experiences done by others before him. But his passion and search for a cure didn’t stop there. He started changing the formula, a little bit at a time. Obsessed by this challenge he rarely ventured out of his lab, exploring diabetes and tracking it back to its source. Goodness there must have been ohh millions of different combinations. (Hmm, makes me think of the combination locks we had in school…now what were those numbers?) Banting knew the effect, now he wanted to discover not only the cause but the cure. There were short-term advantages and disappointments to his results…..and…..he suffered greatly from the rigid and narrow dogma of a hard-nosed society. But he didn’t give up!! He truly wanted to help the people who were suffering from this disease.

Problem solving depends on creative and novel solutions. When we find ourselves stuck in routine modes of thought, we run the risk of becoming bored, inflexible and rigid. Although trends do show us we repeat and duplicate….I think this is more because they are cheaper to manufacture, acceptable and easy. But I see these as a superficial solution that ignores the complexity of our ever-changing world. Perhaps this symbol is telling us we need to cultivate an eye for deeper answers that come from unexpected places. We need a blending of ideas and a constant stream of creativity from all different kinds of sources. We have artists, poets, authors, and of course, scientists, who offer new ideas to the boldest of dreamers.

tink :love:

MCsea

This symbol reminds me of something I remembe from The Golden Bough (Frazer) - goes along the lines of everything is magic till we can proove it then magically it becomes science :)

Leo 18
Birthdays: August 9th–11th
Numerology: 138
Sabian Symbol: A teacher of chemistry
Marc Edmund Jones Key Word: Instruction
Ridder-Patrick Healing Body Point: Right cardiac cavity
Crystal Element: Plasma
Expression: Plasma is a popular variety of green chalcedony. Spiritually, Plasma enhances knowledge, information-gathering and guidance – the spirit of the alchemist.
Sun Focus: Practical and gifted intellectually, you are motivated to understand the world as we see it.
Affirmation: I believe I will find the answers I seek.