Soul Lessons & Soul Purpose Oracle Cards - Sonia Choquette

Elven

I purchased these cards today while doing Tarot Cafe, and did two readings for clients with them - fresh out of the newly opened box.

What drew me to these cards ...
Firstly the title I found interesting. Many times there are spreads relating to this aspect of life, so I thought these cards might be a good tool for specific expression and interpretation of those questions in that area.

I already have another deck by Sonia Choquette - Ask Your Guides - which I have found useful for readings, so I am familair with her previous works.

This was a larger deck - the deck contains 63 cards in all, and came with a companion book explaining each card.

The price for the deck was reasonable - considering that most 40 card decks are now up around the $29.00 mark, this deck of 63 cards was $24.00.

On opening the box ... first impressions of the cards ....
I have a 'thing' at the moment for cardstock quality - Oracle cards such as Doreen Virtues and Toni Carmine Salerno seem to reasonably thick and heavily laminated ... not that I mind that ... though it took some getting used to, and the cards took some wearing in to take the stickiness off them ...
But recently I have noticed thinner card stock which is of poor quality ... so I was not sure what to expect, as the box was sealed and I couldnt look at the cards before I purchased them.
They are 'reasonable' - but certainly not as thick a cardstock, nor as heavily laminated as her 'Ask Your Guides' deck. they are the same size card though.

First impressions of the booklet ....
The booklet contains the meanings of the cards, and has very little in the way of how to use them - it explains to draw a single card, draw a past present and future card, and a five card spread - though there are no placements in the book - so there is no 'spread-map' to follow - (if this was your first deck you may find it slightly daunting).
There is a small introduction, which claims the value of the cards and what they can do if the advise is followed on the card ... I found some of the claims slightly broader than I would have liked, but that is my perception of the text at the time of reading it.

The layout of the card design is simplistic with a third of the card face being delegated to the title of the card. The illustrator of the Deck is Marie Lafrance. Each card has a colourful drawing which is placed in a frame in the upper portion of the card which represents the cards title. The amin color of the cards are pastel hues of greens, blues, greys, tans, and yellows.
The back of the card is a design taken from the "reflect On your Truth' Card - #54, in the deck.

After reading with the cards for two clients, I feel the deck relates more to an oracle of self guidance and clarifying the immediate, than what I would classify as the Souls Purpose ... though that also involves some personal interpretation in itself.

At the beginning of each interpretation, there are alot of questions about are you feeling like this, are you doing this, is this what is happening in your life ...then each card has a section related to 'The Souls Purpose' & 'The Souls Lesson' ... a way and an approach for the current situation ...

I am not seeing that this deck is outstanding - nor differenciates greatly from the many titled decks and cards which are on the market.
Some of the card titles ...
Forgive and Forget
Revive the Dormant
Admit your Vulnerabilities
Strengthen Your Gifts
Live Your Soul, Not a Role
Be Open To Love
Reach For The Stars

Both readings I did with the cards ... both 3 card spreads ... the client understood the message from the cards they had chosen.

One thing I found interesting was on the back of the box ... the text explaining the cards says ..."This 63-card deck (with accompanying guidebook) is loosely based on the traditional Major Arcana of the Tarot".
I was hoping that in the booklet there would be more of an explaination regarding the associations of the Oracle deck with the Tarot ... but there is nothing further said about this.

I dont mind the deck, and will use it for general readings - but I feel that there are other decks which address the Souls Purpose and Lessons in a much richer and deeper way.

I think this is a good deck for value - the amount of cards - and the topics covered - and would be a good deck for someone beginning to use Oracles for personal guidance - though I think it would help if there was more information related to methods and spreads.

There was also a website for the author:
www.soniachoquette.com

and the deck is published and distributed by Hay House.
USA $15.95 ... CAN $20.95 ... UK 11.99pounds ...

If you have the deck, how have you found it?

Blessings Elven x

Kahlie

I have it, and I wrote a review about it. It's on my website.

I've noted that the Cards themselves aren't very easily read intuitively for additional information, but that the booklet actually does allow for an additional layer of richness.

I'm interested in knowing which Oracles you then see as better suited towards Soul Intentions & Soul Lessons.

Kahlie

Elven

Hi kahlie :D

Yep, I understand about the intuitive aspect of reading with these cards and how it might be difficult to fine tune it - I think for me, thats because of the title on the card maybe :)

I like doing SOUL Purpose and Intent readings with the Sabian Symbols, Runes, Tarot Majors only, The Celtic Oracle, Numerology based divination like the Zulu Bone Oracle, and Lenormand cards, or Bibliomancy with certain books - the choice is often relevant on the aspect of the question Im working with too :)

I hope to work with Sonias deck a little more, to get a better 'feel' for the cards - maybe not so ridgid (my approach). There are some decks I seem to have a heart-felt intuitive response to almost immediately - like the Ask Your Angels by Toni Carmine Salerno - I started reading with them with so much enthusiasm as soon as I got them ... but thats not to say some decks dont grow on me over time too :p

Theres hope for me yet :p

Blessings Elven x

ladybird

I enjoy the deck as meditation and will generally do a three card spread of past, present, future. The illustrations are so beautiful and the booklet it comes with has wonderful wisdom to ponder.