POCKET vs REGULAR Tarot Size...

greatdane

I'm hoping publishers will see this thread

Well, I plan to draw their attention to it :), so that we can have both, particularly of some of the most popular. I would say all decks, but companies have to look at their bottom line and if a deck in a larger size sold well, changes are it's smaller sibling will as well.

Size of one's hands, arthritis, portability, space, these are all things that can lead one to appreciate the pocket decks more.

But wanting to see the "big screen" of the larger decks, especially one's favorites, I think will keep people wanting the bigger size as well.

For some, the size of the original, especially the extra large decks, can keep them from buying them because they find them so difficult to shuffle.

silviannes

I have small hands and it is tough to shuffle my cards. I'd love to get a pocket deck. How big are they usually? If I could, I'd shrink my cards.... anyone have a shrinking machine?? o_O Or, I would also prefer all decks be in 3 sizes. 1 size does not fit all.

3ill.yazi

I use my pocket RWS a fair amount, but I am distracted/annoyed that the aspect ratio is off, squishing all the figures down so they are a little fat and short. Once you see that, it's hard to unsee. The minis don't do that, but the pockets do.

EmpyreanKnight

I use my pocket RWS a fair amount, but I am distracted/annoyed that the aspect ratio is off, squishing all the figures down so they are a little fat and short. Once you see that, it's hard to unsee. The minis don't do that, but the pockets do.

Really, they messed with the proportion of the pocket RWS? And I was planning to buy one. Thanks for the heads up, I think I'd have to check images in the net first before committing to it.

3ill.yazi

Really, they messed with the proportion of the pocket RWS? And I was planning to buy one. Thanks for the heads up, I think I'd have to check images in the net first before committing to it.

It's partly why I haven't purchased the commemorative one, either. They'd have to cut a different size card, or have unequal borders, to have the correct proportion.

EmpyreanKnight

Broke down and got the Pocket Rider Waite Smith and the Pocket Thoth, both included in the Complet3 Tarot Kit. Hope I get it before the weekend!

illyria

It's partly why I haven't purchased the commemorative one, either. They'd have to cut a different size card, or have unequal borders, to have the correct proportion.

The PCS Commemorative is exceptionally done in a smaller size, in my opinion, and the borders are proportional.

EmpyreanKnight

Hi illyria!

On a purely technical basis, upon reviewing the width-to-height ratio of the Regular and Pocket-sized Rider Waite Smith, if the same border proportions were maintained there would be a slight stretching over the width of the card. But yeah, for a card this small and for people not keen on these kinds of detail, this may not even be something they'd remotely consider as a deal-breaker. And these calculations only apply to the normal Pocket edition, the PCS Commemmorative might be a different ball game.

Ultimately, I think you are right, if it is a beautifully done piece with well-printed images it most definitely would be worth it. Price is a steal, too. Now since I just ordered the pocket RWS and Thoth, I am going to scrub the memory of the PCS Commemmorative (in a tin!) from my thoughts.

illyria

Hi illyria!

On a purely technical basis, upon reviewing the width-to-height ratio of the Regular and Pocket-sized Rider Waite Smith, if the same border proportions were maintained there would be a slight stretching over the width of the card. But yeah, for a card this small and for people not keen on these kinds of detail, this may not even be something they'd remotely consider as a deal-breaker. And these calculations only apply to the normal Pocket edition, the PCS Commemmorative might be a different ball game.

Ultimately, I think you are right, if it is a beautifully done piece with well-printed images it most definitely would be worth it. Price is a steal, too. Now since I just ordered the pocket RWS and Thoth, I am going to scrub the memory of the PCS Commemmorative (in a tin!) from my thoughts.

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm sure there'll be a difference when one scales down any such artwork, but I really can't be precious about the minutiae because I really love the PCS. And to think I'm not an RWS fan!

Also, you will get the PCS in a tin despite your recent purchases. You will. You will. It's in the cards. *evil, evil laughter*

greatdane

What an enabler you are, Illyria! :))

the PCS Commemorative in a tin is a FAV of mine. So far, I have three pocket decks and I really enjoy each and each has their purpose over their regular size big sisters (any deck I have a pocket size on, I have the regular as well).

I think US Games has done a great job with their pocket decks thus far and I am REALLY looking forward to the Aquarian done in a tin.

I think both sizes have their uses and I think it's brilliant that US Games has taken advantage of the fact many of us enjoy having both.