Any thoughts or guidence on The Mary-El

lark

lark, I think you hit the nail on the head with your impressions. I used the Mary-El exclusively for a while, and it remains to be a private deck. I find that I don't want to use it to read for others—there's something about it that invites me to imbue it with a very personal and intimate energy. It's darker than the Greenwood for me, but I get what you mean about it being "channeled." I should probably do more ancestor work with it soon.

Oh, there was a time when I wanted to trim it, but Schiffer cardstock makes me cringe, so I left it alone. I think it was the right decision.
I haven't used it for others either...feels like you said a very personal deck.
Definitely darker than the Greenwood.
I have gone back and forth about trimming it too.
I wasn't sure how the Schiffer card stock would trim..so mine is still untrimmed.

illyria

I haven't used it for others either...feels like you said a very personal deck.
Definitely darker than the Greenwood.
I have gone back and forth about trimming it too.
I wasn't sure how the Schiffer card stock would trim..so mine is still untrimmed.

Of the ones featured in the Trimmed Borders/Altered Index thread, I like what Rose Lalonde did best!

lark

They look wonderful, she must of had to measure so carefully to get that perfect thin border around the picture.
I was going to take off all the black border, but leave the title.
I might still do it...I feel like the border restricts the picture...like it is just chomping at the bit to get released from it.

illyria

They look wonderful, she must of had to measure so carefully to get that perfect thin border around the picture.
I was going to take off all the black border, but leave the title.
I might still do it...I feel like the border restricts the picture...like it is just chomping at the bit to get released from it.

I think your idea is great, too, lark. Seeing the pictures of the cards devoid of their borders makes me think that I'll be able to connect the messages from one card to another more fluidly. It's such a storyteller, this one.

lalalibra

A lot of what's been said here has inspired me to put away the book (as much as I do love it) and it's been a really great experience. This deck is inexhaustible; truly a world unto itself. Very meditative.

In general, I find something rather funny to me in how I relate to some of my decks is that if the images are way too beautiful, I can get distracted by their beauty too much to think about what any of it means lol!! That gets better as time goes on, as I get more used to the imagery. The Mary-el takes time to digest.