Vampire-themed tarots

FLizarraga

Robert Place's deck is significant to the vampire Tarot collection because it revolves specifically around Bram Stoker's novel. Most vampire decks draw from a wide corpus of media including literature, film, and pop culture. Place covers these depitions in depth in the excellent companion book right up to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but restricts his own deck to the single novel and the people who influenced Stoker's life or were influenced by him. It's astounding to see how he was able to graft Tarot symbolism so brilliantly onto just one medium.

Yes. It's quite an achievement, that deck --and again, another brilliant Fool card.

Essence of Winter

Out of curiosity, is there a reason Tarot of the Vampyres didn't make your list? I would recommend it largely based on the excellent companion book written by the deck's creator. The deck was designed to be similar to the Thoth and be a tool for working with The Shadow.

The main reason is that it appears to be out of print and I can only find damaged decks for reasonable prices or new decks for more than I am willing to pay. It is sort of on my list, however.

Essence of Winter

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned the Bohemian Gothic.

I wouldn't really call it a vampire-themed deck but it does look nice. I think I will put it on my other list :)

Miss Divine

The main reason is that it appears to be out of print and I can only find damaged decks for reasonable prices or new decks for more than I am willing to pay. It is sort of on my list, however.

This is an excellent deck. It is going to be reprinted so it will be available again, no worries. :)

Celtictarot

This is an excellent deck. It is going to be reprinted so it will be available again, no worries. :)

Yep, I heard it would be reprinted as well. Such a superb deck and the art is just amazing!

Essence of Winter

That is fantastic news. I will be on the lookout for it.

Essence of Winter

Gothic Tarot of Vampires

This one arrived next. So far, it is my favourite as far as the artwork is concerned. It is like a journey through a dark graphic novel. It is a lot bloodier than the others but there is nothing gratuitous about it. Although I connected with the images immediately on an aesthetic level, it took longer to connect with the meanings but that is never a bad thing as long as you are able to connect.

I normally ask a difficult question of a deck the first time I use it as that has always been a true test to me. I didn't really have anything difficult to ask so it was more of a 'what can I expect to-morrow' type question and the results were extremely accurate - in fact, more than usual for such a generic question. Still, it was an important question as it concerned a day spent with social events, which is something that ordinarily makes me very anxious. The reading convinced me that there wouldn't be anything I couldn't handle.

In some ways, this is the most human-feeling deck as the imagery is true to life and the vampires have very human qualities, which is what the creators intended. I think fans of Anne Rice would like this deck.

FLizarraga

I wouldn't really call it a vampire-themed deck but it does look nice. I think I will put it on my other list :)

Curiously enough, although it's not explicitly or solely vampire-themed, and it has a lot of other Gothic stuff thrown in --corpses, catacombs, zombies, ghosts, ghouls, necromancers, you name it-- it is for me the most vampiric deck of all, bar none... })

Pam O

Out of curiosity, is there a reason Tarot of the Vampyres didn't make your list? I would recommend it largely based on the excellent companion book written by the deck's creator. The deck was designed to be similar to the Thoth and be a tool for working with The Shadow.

It is also available for $3.99 as a Fools Dog app!
http://www.foolsdog.com/Vampyres/