POCKET vs REGULAR Tarot Size...

greatdane

POCKET vs LARGER Tarot Size...

I love my pocket Morgan Greer so much, I was thinking of putting my regular original in trades, but taking it out of it's case, I realized that I love this size too.

I see pocket sizes getting more popular, but I see it as an addition, not a replacement.

For other ATers, would you ditch your original size for a pocket? Or want to keep both?

Disa

Not ditching the originals. I like to have bigger cards at home when I'm doing online readings or for people who come over. And lets face it, my vision isn't going to get better as I get older. I'd actually like it if decks would all be printed in 3 sizes. Mini/standard/large.

I like the pocket sized ones to throw in my bag when I'm reading someplace else.

I found it convenient to just have bag of "to go" decks- ready to fly out the door when needed. So back up copies and minis go in there. Saves a lot of time for me, otherwise I dither about which decks, spread cloth, etc to take. A dedicated "to go" bag is great. It's always there and ready for the next time.

Moonpaw

I actually did ditch my standard size PCS Commemorative for the tin version in the sense that I don't use the standard anymore--the cardstock is way too stiff and my hands are far too little--but I can't bring myself to throw it away because it's got little stains and creases and I hand-trimmed the edges. It just feels like an old friend. But no, I don't use it for reading anymore.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'll ever read regularly with a full-size deck again. The tin versions are just too handy and they're so easy to shuffle, etc. If I weren't so attached to my standard size PCS out of nostalgia, I could see myself gifting it to somebody else.

greatdane

I hear ya, Disa and Moonpaw

Ah yes, Disa, SEEING them is good :). I'm nearsighted, I still read without glasses, but put something even as far away as a reading table....
I also love the POP of a bigger deck sometimes.

I LOVE to shuffle the PCS Commemorative, Moonpaw! Pockets are so much more comfortable in my hands as well. Edging them in ink made them shuffle even better and easier.

I do SEE the bigger decks better though. AND if I'm going to JOURNAL with a deck, just go card by card and write my thoughts, I DO like to have the larger deck.

So I think USG is really onto something, making more pockets in tins. It's not like their regular ones will go away, but that we now have a size for our mood or event.

The only tarot deck on my wish list is the Aquarian in a pocket, when it comes next year.
So rather than get a new deck, at least right now, there's no tarot deck I want I don't have, I would RATHER have a pocket of a larger deck I already have.

delizt

Some decks I actually PREFER in pocket...I ditched my full-sized RWS Centennital for the one in the tin...its just so much more "useable"

I suppose if the art was really intricate, I'd need a full size, but for instance the Aquarian in a tin, which I am SO looking forward to is such a classic, I don't need it full size, I would use the smaller much more often, I carry them around in my bag and the ease of shuffling and laying out in a pinch on a small space can't be beat!!

Little_Bear

Pocket Size Decks

I would like pocket versions of all my favourite decks tbh, I'd keep the regular sized one still.
I like both sizes for different things. The full size for home reading, journaling, mediation etc; and then the pocket tin for throwing in my handbag or for traveling.
:)

greatdane

Little Bear

We're so on the same page :). I do admit to loving to just sit and shuffle with pocket decks while watching a movie.

Yes, I think we shall see more pockets appear. I think publishers will realize that it doesn't mean we won't get the larger one, but that often, we want both! And those who didn't get a deck because it was too big, now they have a new consumer base with the pockets.

I say a win win for us all :).

Citrin

No! I love the standard (?) big tarot deck size! I guess it's because I'm so used to it, so the smaller ones feel weird in my hands. :)

greatdane

And there, Citrin, is why I think we will have both!

For some, big decks feel weird to shuffle. I think a lot IS about the feeling of the deck.
Smaller, for SOME, is easier to shuffle and they're more portable to carry around.

Larger ones, well, when I am going to journal with a deck, I want the images as large as possible.

That's why I will likely wind up with pocket and the larger for any tarot deck I like :).

JylliM

I have one pocket, the Morgan-Greer. It's fine for putting in my bag to go out but I never use it at home. If I want M-G at home I use my standard. One thing I've noticed about the tin of my pocket M-G is that it's already a bit dented, and I haven't carried it around all that much. I might buy the Aquarian in a tin, though, just because it'll be so cute! Anyway, short answer: I wouldn't ditch my standard deck for a pocket!