One year later...

Cocobird55

I got the Japaridze Tarot about a year ago. I Just pulled it out a couple of days ago to look at it again. I love the art, but am kind of intimidated at the thought of reading with it.

jema

I hardly bought any decks for a year and didn't read a lot of tarot but when I did, the deck I used was Alice tarot and I do love it so. I re-read the books when I got it and that is helpful of course.
I simply felt no need to pick up another deck.
But now I am starting to miss my other decks so will try to divide my time between a few others too.

The one Le Fanu mentions, Night sun, is one I really loved from first sight. Deliciously creepy, blood red velvet and heavy perfume and turkish delight and gurus with snakes galore.

Le Fanu

I got the Japaridze Tarot about a year ago. I Just pulled it out a couple of days ago to look at it again. I love the art, but am kind of intimidated at the thought of reading with it.
Yes! I was being disciplined and only referred to one, but this deck is one of the greats of 2015. Just dive in - it reads effortlessly for me. I don't feel I have to do excessive studying - it's very RWSy - apart from the courts perhaps. They are rather odd courts but expressive all the same. I really don't think you should be intimidated by it at all. It is a wonderful deck.

I never say this - as I'm always faintly disappointed - but I really think that 2015 has been one of the best recent years for tarot. There have been lots and lots of decks which I have fallen in love with - Ceccoli, Night Sun, Japaridze, Yves' 2 new Marseilles, Daniloff 2nd edition, Dame Darcy, Mucha, Delphi, Byzantine - and the list just keeps on going. It really has been a spectacularly bumper year and has more than made up for some of the lifeless offerings of recent years.

Cocobird55

Yes! I was being disciplined and only referred to one, but this deck is one of the greats of 2015. Just dive in - it reads effortlessly for me. I don't feel I have to do excessive studying - it's very RWSy - apart from the courts perhaps. They are rather odd courts but expressive all the same. I really don't think you should be intimidated by it at all. It is a wonderful deck.

I never say this - as I'm always faintly disappointed - but I really think that 2015 has been one of the best recent years for tarot. There have been lots and lots of decks which I have fallen in love with - Ceccoli, Night Sun, Japaridze, Yves' 2 new Marseilles, Daniloff 2nd edition, Dame Darcy, Mucha, Delphi, Byzantine - and the list just keeps on going. It really has been a spectacularly bumper year and has more than made up for some of the lifeless offerings of recent years.

Thanks, Le Fanu. I will have another crack at it.

I forgot all about Mucha -- and I liked that one very much. Also got the Wild Unknown last year, and it's turned into a favorite.

Little_Bear

I have acquired 12 new decks this year. The first of which was The Tarot of the Magical Forest and it's the one I have picked up time after time. I am just in love with those little critters. I find it to be a very comforting deck and it's heavily RWS which is great because I am still something of a noob.

Other notable mentions for me are the RWS Centennial Edition, Dame Darcy Mermaid and the Bonefire.

Dark Victory '39

Night sun, is one I really loved from first sight. Deliciously creepy, blood red velvet and heavy perfume and turkish delight and gurus with snakes galore.

That's lovely description jema. This has turned into my own unintentional enabling thread.

totally agree.

Thanks, Le Fanu. I will have another crack at it.
I too think Japardize is a great reader. Probably a lot of us here were a little intimidated/ unsure abt how the Japaridze art would communicate. I remember giving it a two week 'trial' period of heavy usage, and during it I became totally hooked. There's a lot of smart repeat hooking imagery: wheel, lovers, justice all using those prisms, and the strange sea urchin/ chandelier thingys are on quite a few cards. It's fun when they come up w/ their various matchy partners in readings.

I have acquired 12 new decks this year.[...]Bonefire.
That's great you snagged up a bonefire while she still had the first editions left. There are so many incredibly nice touches between the bag, the book, and that cardstock that i can't imagine being replicated when it comes out in a mass market edition.

fractalgranny

hmmm ... a year ... am a bit fuzzy but these are the ones i think

wang's tarot of the golden dawn
wildwood
revelations
ukiyoe
miller's universal tarot
deck of 1,000 spreads
patchwork deck made up of all sorts of decks
golden tarot of klimt

the wang i got because, well, because i thought i should have it. i feel a bit cool towards it. it gives me similar feelings as the RWS, and the RWS just doesn't do much for me. but i think i'll put some effort into it eventually.

wildwood is lovely. for some reason i haven't used it much. but i really like it; the shamanistic undertones resonate with me.

revelations is a weird one. i don't feel particularly warm towards it but it is so ... useful, is that the word?

ukiyoe: love it. i like the artwork, i resonate with the japanese/buddhist themes, and i'm discovering that i like slightly illustrated pips quite a bit.

miller's universal has to be my favourite of them. i took to it the second i opened it. i would like to have more "thothy" decks, and this one really satisfies me. i like the artwork, the colours, and the fact that the symbolism doesn't scream at me. i have very little patience for overstated esotericism.

deck of a thousand spreads: that's more of a tool to expand my skills. i can't see myself using it on a regular basis but who knows.

my patchwork deck - i'm surprised that i don't use it more often. i've put quite a bit of effort into collecting it. hm.

klimt: that's probably the biggest disappointment so far. i haven't been able to connect with it yet. my judgment is that it is one of those decks where someone thought, oh cool, that's a great idea, without really getting into the tarot of it. but again, maybe like the wang, i'm not ready for it yet.

that was a great question!

fractalgranny

japaridze is very high up on my wish list, and the daniloff is there, too. nice to know that you like them.

Dark Victory '39

miller's universal has to be my favourite of them. i took to it the second i opened it. i would like to have more "thothy" decks, and this one really satisfies me. i like the artwork, the colours, and the fact that the symbolism doesn't scream at me. i have very little patience for overstated esotericism. [...]
my patchwork deck - i'm surprised that i don't use it more often. i've put quite a bit of effort into collecting it.

Thanks for mentioning the Miller's. It was one of those i saw scans of (probably in flipping through a big deck browse on aeclectic) and then neglected to write its name down. Now looking at it again i'm going to put it on a possible to buy list. Love that 8 of cups. I seem to be in an 8 cups mood of study lately. keeps coming up and i keep pulling all of my 8c's out.
... yeah, as to the patchwork decks...i have several too, that i've put tons of time into making and then am v. erratic about using. My most successful of late seems to be the one i made up by (sheepishly admitting) franken-decking linestrider. There were roughly about fifteen cards that just didn't do it for me from that deck. End result is maybe 80 percent linestrider and the rest mostly pastel-ish cards pulled from other decks, (some decks i no longer have, but have some color copies of cards i made before passing the deck along. like the 5 wands from fairy lights which i luv). I backed the whole thing on an old breugal deck, and made copies of all the cards on high quality paper used for calligraphy before using my uhu glue-stick. Actually oddly happy w/ the quality, considering i'm not the most arty of people, and am v. tactile picky about how something 'feels.'

Snowhunter

I've only been reading Tarot for about a year so most of my collection is from the initial excitement of exploration. The three decks I keep coming back to are the Shadowscapes Tarot, Centennial Waite-Smith, and the Enchanted Map Oracle. I've given away most of the Oracle decks I had from a year ago and if I knew anyone who'd be interested in Tarot most of those would be gone too. I'd like to cut down my collection to about 10 decks but I just haven't found the energy to put up a listing.