Tarot-themed music

Rhapsodin

If you are using any planetary astrological symbolism (such as Magician = Mercury, Empress = Venus, Tower = Mars, etc.), and you are not allergic to 'classical' music, The Planets by Gustav Holst is probably the ultimate musical portrait of the planets (as portrayed in mythology and astrology).

Nice.

Surprising that he didn't regard the Sun and Moon as mystical planets. Never mind. If I need Sun music it's likely to be Sculthorpe's Sun Music III or IV, or Ruggle's Suntreader. The Moon is more difficult. It might be the famous movement from Beethoven's Op 27/2 or Debussy's famous piece.

No matter, I couldn't cope with vocals/lyrics in meditation. Voices are fine as in Debussy's Les Sirènes,

Richard

Nice.

Surprising that he didn't regard the Sun and Moon as mystical planets. Never mind. If I need Sun music it's likely to be Sculthorpe's Sun Music III or IV, or Ruggle's Suntreader. The Moon is more difficult. It might be the famous movement from Beethoven's Op 27/2 or Debussy's famous piece.

No matter, I couldn't cope with vocals/lyrics in meditation. Voices are fine as in Debussy's Les Sirènes,
Sun: The first section (Sonnenaufgang) of Also Sprach Zarathustra by R. Strauss, or Sunrise from Daphnis and Chloe Suite No. 2 by Ravel.
Moon: As you suggested, slow movement of Moonlight Sonata, and Clair de Lune. These sound pretty mystical.

Rhapsodin

Very nice for meditative work, the Daphnis and Chloe. The second part of Suite No. 2 is often appropriate too, the Pantomime - a most remarkable piece of music IMHO - well, the entire ballet is.

Nar

Bob Dylan - "Changing of the Guard".

_R_

A recent interview with Patrick Coq, who has produced the Viéville Tarot, reminded me of the amazing "Tarot" symphony by contemporary French composer, Richard Dubugnon, "Arcanes symphoniques". Dubugnon composed the pieces based on the visual symbolism of the major arcana.

Extracts can be heard on his website

Or on Youtube, where there also some excerpts from a documentary which shows his technique for creating music from Tarot.

XIX-LE SOLEIL
Tarot cards and Dubugnon's Arcanes Symphoniques
Dubugnon - Arcanes Symphoniques - analyse d'une carte
Alain Altinoglu, Tarot & Dubugnon

A talented composer, an excellent piece of classical music and one well worth seeking out by those who like such things. The CD is available via his website and via Amazon.fr

Zephyros

If you are using any planetary astrological symbolism (such as Magician = Mercury, Empress = Venus, Tower = Mars, etc.), and you are not allergic to 'classical' music, The Planets by Gustav Holst is probably the ultimate musical portrait of the planets (as portrayed in mythology and astrology).

Haven't listened to it in a while, but it is really flabbergasting how well Holst works when adding him to Tarot studies. There should be a revision of 777 that adds another column for him. Really amazing stuff.

Not exactly "Tarot themed," but the Rogue Traders song "Voodoo Child" has some funny references to cards and spells and fortune telling, and it's also a really good song in its right!

(It was also mentioned on Dr. Who, if anyone's a fan)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=SrlhLaNClgw

nisaba

Haven't listened to it in a while, but it is really flabbergasting how well Holst works when adding him to Tarot studies.

And Vaughan-Williams!

Now that we've broken the Classical Barrier ... the Brandenburg Concertos are *great* healing music. I can't read to them, though - I tend to get too involved in the music and lose my thread.

Zephyros

And Vaughan-Williams!

Now that we've broken the Classical Barrier ... the Brandenburg Concertos are *great* healing music. I can't read to them, though - I tend to get too involved in the music and lose my thread.

If I remember correctly, you once said he was an ancestor of yours?

I agree, music that one likes too much can be distracting, especially during readings. I prefer to listen to something quiet during readings. Satie is wonderful for that, just poignant enough for feelings but neutral enough not to be distracted.

Samweiss

Yes! Gustav Holst thousand times! I also second the motion of adding him to 777. :D

There's this ambient music group from my hometown, even if their occult overtones are a bit over the top, I think this sort of music fits really well with tarot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qzo0x85pPI

They even use enochian chants in few of their songs, if anyone is into that stuff.