Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread

Barleywine

Here's something new I created after reading Cherry Gilchrist's TdM book. It's loosely based on the Celtic triquetra, showing the union of Mind, Body and Spirit, a kind of Venn diagram also related to the broader "Tripod of Life" concept. I suggest that, if you decide to try it out, you use only a single rank of cards - all Trumps, all Courts or all Pips (although "Courts + Pips" may be more useful) - and focus on a single area of life, perhaps spiritual, psychological, inspirational or practical, displayed in seven qualities. I haven't tried it out yet, but will probably aim for self-understanding with it rather than prediction. Note that the cards can be laid out in any order, there is no fixed sequence to this one.

https://docelticjewelry.com/celtic-symbols-meanings/

Attachments

• Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread.pdf
    196.5 KB · Views: 506

Barleywine

Update Spread with Instructions

I updated the spread to include detailed guidance for interpretation, mainly an expansion of my preliminary notes above.

Attachments

• Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread Updated.pdf
    208.3 KB · Views: 441

Nemia

Thank you, that's a very substantial spread. The shape looks as though the Pythagorean Tetractys and the Tree of Life had contributed a share - one brought the triangular shape, the other Daath :) and it looks three-dimensional.

I will try this spread, and I think it will work very well with permutations. The connection between elemental and psychological categories always looks so right to me, and how clever to use a Celtic element. (I teach insular art and the meeting between Celtic and Mediterranean traditions fascinates me.)

Barleywine

Thank you, that's a very substantial spread. The shape looks as though the Pythagorean Tetractys and the Tree of Life had contributed a share - one brought the triangular shape, the other Daath :) and it looks three-dimensional.

I will try this spread, and I think it will work very well with permutations. The connection between elemental and psychological categories always looks so right to me, and how clever to use a Celtic element. (I teach insular art and the meeting between Celtic and Mediterranean traditions fascinates me.)

Thanks! I owe the inspiration to Cherry Gilchrist (in Tarot Triumphs) for suggesting that the three-ring emblem might be a jumping-off place for further exploration. And I also thank Lee for pointing me at the book.

Barleywine

A Sample Layout

Here's a visual example of one way to lay out this spread, using the Tabula Mundi Colores Arcus deck. I'm not providing this for interpretation and comment since how I interpret these cards for the purpose of my own self-discovery is a private matter.

The stones you see on the spread cloth are painted "planetary" stones from my geomancy set - Sun and Moon demarcating the twin vectors of Higher Purpose (Spirit), Mercury as the "funnel" for Spirit into Mind, Mars and Saturn bounding the vector of Ambition (Desire), Venus and Jupiter delimiting the vector of Inspiration (Feeling).

I will say that the Devil as Capricorn is a good fit for the Mars-Saturn vector of Ambition and the Empress as Venus is a good fit for the Venus-Jupiter vector of Inspiration. The four cards above are all Fire cards, and the Emperor links the Fire quaternary of "Spirit + Mind" to the "Body" triplet through the central Fire card Aeon/Judgement, bracketed by two "friendly" Earth cards. This is a well-balanced picture that is almost perfectly integrated elementally.

Attachments

• Self-Discovery Layout.JPG
    Self-Discovery Layout.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 730

Barleywine

I updated the spread again to add planetary associations.

Attachments

• Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread New Astro Update.pdf
    218.4 KB · Views: 343