Lo Scarabeo: Tarot Compendium Kickstarter

gregory

I think it's more to attract people in general. Sadly people don't like reading books without lots of pictures any more - this seems to tie into the proliferation of graphic "novels" (which to me are glorified comic books). I've SEEN people pick up books in bookstores and say "oh, but there aren't any pictures". And that for a NOVEL. Non-fiction even more so.

A regrettable part of the dumbing down of the education systems in the first world, even while those in the third world are thirsting for learning and value it - pictures or not. :( See also all the research on how attention spans are falling all the time, which is why kids' TV programmes are increasingly in tiny sound bites.

ETA which one - it looks like the 1789 restored:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2683172&postcount=43

or the 1910 Grimaud - the colours are more like that: http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01612/d01612.htm

Lain_82

From someone born and raised in a third-world country: we like pictures in books too :) and I can't say I necessarily agree with the idea that graphic novels are in any way dumbed down books or glorified comics... but that's a discussion for another time.

I backed this campaign and also recently purchased the first 2 volumes I missed; I'm mostly interested in tarot books that I can use as reference when I'm studying, and I'm excited about the last volume because from what I see in the table of contents, it might contain some interesting introductions to aspects of tarot I'm not familiar with. So far, The only thing that I wish they had included in the first books is more references to other tarot systems; most of the books I see in recommendations are very focused on the RWS and it's a bit harder to find comprehensive tomes that deal with the Thoth for example in more depth.

gregory

I just hate graphic novels. They aren't novels !

But I absolutely agree that third world people love pictures too - what I was getting at is that the people I've met there (in my experience and yes I have visited - including schools) and people who have come here from less well off countries are much more willing to put in the effort to learn; we seem to have to be TEMPTED to do anything that requires any effort these days. :(

DeToX

Thanks for the links Gregory. Yes I think it's part of global internet culture and modernity that people are more visually oriented. If you consider what the target audience is for most LoS products, they probably widened/are widening it a little to try to include the purists as well, arriving at some kind of compromise of sorts without putting off their core customer base. Lol maybe it is a coincidence but ever get the feeling you're being watched? lol. I will very likely back this campaign and get the Etteilla I deck.

Alta

It is really going slowly now. Unless they get a bump from people who were waiting until the end, seems not that likely that they will make $50K euros

gregory

Well, I CAN live without a second bag, never mind a seal ! but there are a few days left.

theEnigma

Overall, what are people's thoughts on the "encyclopedia?" Do you find the volumes to be good reference material, or do they sit on your bookshelf? Is there any difference between the "kickstarter" editions and the regular?

gregory

There is no difference in the editions, no. And I do use them for reference. I HATE the stock photos, but other than that I like them. They do have a LOT of typos, but again - I can live with them; the meaning gets across.

rwcarter

Overall, what are people's thoughts on the "encyclopedia?" Do you find the volumes to be good reference material, or do they sit on your bookshelf? Is there any difference between the "kickstarter" editions and the regular?

There is no difference in the editions, no. And I do use them for reference. I HATE the stock photos, but other than that I like them. They do have a LOT of typos, but again - I can live with them; the meaning gets across.
I only have the Kickstarter editions, but I thought that the regular editions weren't going to have the extra content (32 or so pages if memory serves) and didn't come with the bag or postcards.

Rodney