The Bright Mother (16)

Jewel

Today my daily card draw is The Bright Mother. I find this very interesting as I recently did a reading for a dear friend in which this card came up so I have recently spent quite a bit of time with her, and there was not thread on her. So in honor of the Bright Mother I thought I would sart her a thread.

To me this card is extremely personal and feminine. Not as in about a woman necessarily, but about the feminine side of all of us. In the center of the card she is the mother, watching her child on the bubble which to means a dream become reality (the bubble is the dream, the child the reality). Her little angel. But at the same time as she takes on the nurturing of a mother in time she beigns to miss the freedom of her youth. That is reflected by the sensual image of her and the wanning moon. There is faerie by her ear trying to keep her in check and letting her know that she need not forgo who she was. At the same time the Piper is in the upper right hand corner of the card with his penetratiing gaze, also trying to get through to her. The adolescent fey in the left hand corner is watchin her facial expression and sensing the resentment she carries. The crone at the bottom left hand corner does not quite seem to understand her resentment.

I think as we mature, our societal norms indicate that we have to change and act in certain ways that create a resentment and a void within us. To me this card says that we can be all of those things and do not need to give up who we trully are to conform to societal norms. There is a time and place for each aspect of ourselves, and we need to remain whole, not to fracture ourselves based on our age. Although the body ages, the soul remains the same. With more experience yes, with more responsibility yes, but does that mean we sacrifice who we are? no. This card tells me to nurture myself. If I am whole and emotionally healthy then I will have more to offer others. I am the Child, I am the Mother, I am the Crone. They are all a part of me and I love them.

greenbeans

I like what you have touched on here Jewel, that the Bright Mother is quite unusual because she is both a loving, nurturing mother, and a beautiful sensual woman...it can be difficult for women to be both, whether because of society's expectations that you stick to one role.... or because it would be exhausting to do both (all the time!)

How do I get skin like that, mine is pale and pasty...she is even paler but so luminescent...her skin is literally 'blooming' (look at the flower on her bum, lol!) She has an english pear shape she is not ashamed of, it expresses fertility, softness...and her hair is luxuriant-long and wavy (hm, I was going to say pre Raphealite but it is a lot like Wendy Froud's hair...I think we know where the inspiration for this Fae came from..?)

This is one of those cards where you see something new each time..there are just so many figures in the background...down in the left under her hand we see some, hmm, shall I say 'Carnivalesque' fae- the exagerratedly busty woman and the red-capped pixie with his tongue out and suggestively holding a phallic mushroom...(OMG I never noticed that before!!) expressing fleshy sexuality in its earthiest form!

Above them is a serious-faced pan-type figure, who might be the bright mother's 'toy boy' partner or son...the male archetype to her female..

I see the many female figures as being parts of the Bright mother- the young girl on her hand holding the crescent moon, is the young girl that is always a part of her...the winged faery on her head is her dream self...the tiny naked faery in the centre of the card is, perhaps, her spirit, which is always proud and beautiful despite what occurs on the outside...The bright mother is serious faced...she loves her son and wants him to enjoy life but knows life can be cruel.. she lets him balance on his beautiful, fragile bubble..safe for now with her blessing...

Hm, I didn't mean to write this much...there is still loads on this card I haven't mentioned! that's whats so good about this card (and the deck IMO!)

Jewel

greenbeans said:
How do I get skin like that, mine is pale and pasty...she is even paler but so luminescent...her skin is literally 'blooming' (look at the flower on her bum, lol!) She has an english pear shape she is not ashamed of, it expresses fertility, softness...!)

Well up until around the 1950's or so full figured women were considered the most attractive. Their voluptuousness (is that a word?) was a sign of health and fertility. As to how you can look like her, her luminescence is her soul, and I am sure yours shines as bright so there you go one down. The flower on her bum ... go get a tatoo *LOL*. As for the full figure, I am not sure what you look like, but if you need to add weight I recommend chocolate *ROFLMAO*. For the hair if you need to let yours grow (or buy a wig) ... And the voila! you look like her. See how easy that was? ~giggles~.

greenbeans said:
This is one of those cards where you see something new each time..the red-capped pixie with his tongue out and suggestively holding a phallic mushroom...(OMG I never noticed that before!!) expressing fleshy sexuality in its earthiest form!

Above them is a serious-faced pan-type figure, who might be the bright mother's 'toy boy' partner or son...the male archetype to her female..

I had not noticed that either!!! You are on to something .... this makes a lot of sense. I do agree that this card, and many many others have so much imagery that the cards look different each time I look at them. That is what is one of the many things I love about this deck. It is forever changing.

About the pan type figure, that is the one I called the Piper. Go look at your Piper card ... I like the idea of that being her boy-toy, her male archetype. That is exactly the same concept I had, you just phrased it sooooooo much better and succinctly.

I really like your views on this card, I think we see the card in the same manner. Keep writting girl, I am enjoying reading!

greenbeans

Jewel said:
Well up until around the 1950's or so full figured women were considered the most attractive. Their voluptuousness (is that a word?) was a sign of health and fertility. As to how you can look like her, her luminescence is her soul, and I am sure yours shines as bright so there you go one down. The flower on her bum ... go get a tatoo *LOL*. As for the full figure, I am not sure what you look like, but if you need to add weight I recommend chocolate *ROFLMAO*. For the hair if you need to let yours grow (or buy a wig) ... And the voila! you look like her. See how easy that was? ~giggles~.

I love your fae-style makeover advice! Just the opposite from the usual makeover shows on tv (their advice is usually, lose weight, get surgery, dye your hair etc) If only people still accepted healthy figures instead of us all longing for skinny ones..Telling me to eat chocolate?! Very uneccessary advice, but I like it! :) heehee!

Jewel said:
About the pan type figure, that is the one I called the Piper. Go look at your Piper card ... I like the idea of that being her boy-toy, her male archetype.

Hmm, he does look an awful lot like the Piper- its definitely him or his brother. have we spotted a Fae love-affair?? They weren't keeping it very secret though!

Jewel

greenbeans said:
I love your fae-style makeover advice! Telling me to eat chocolate?! Very uneccessary advice, but I like it! :) heehee!
~giggles and does a sweeping bow~ glad you like it! Let me know if you need any more *LOL*

greenbeans said:
Have we spotted a Fae love-affair?? They weren't keeping it very secret though!
We better be careful with that one!

Jewel

The Bright Mother has graced me with her presence as my faerie companion of the day again today. This card has been really coming up a lot for me! Today the things that stand out the most in the card for me are the waxing moon, the gentle pink flower above it, the ribbons running down her arm, and the baby standing on the bubble. The central figure's skin looks very luminescent, brighter than usual.

The message I am getting is about personal growth, gentleness, and quiet beauty. A very serene feeling.

Jewel

HighPriestesss said:
The Bright Mother

My thought was I needed to spend the day nurturing my kids. I've been spending a lot of my time recently (past month) at this website, reading tarot, reading about my faeries, shopping at metaphysical stores, etc. Does dinner get planned ahead of time?? Noooooo. Does dinner at least get put on the table? Yeah, even if it IS chicken pot pies, or kielbasa & beans! LOL

But, Jewel, I just did a search on her and read your very in-tune description of her (as a mother, we shouldn't forget our past, or hobbies we love to do or did before we had children). Having said the above, maybe I need to rid myself of the guilt!? Do you think that's what they're trying to tell me here?

High Priestess, I hope you do not mind that I cut and pasted this post over here, but thought this was a good place for discussion on her.

I think the Bright Mother is also about balance. Mom's have to balance all kinds of priorities. What stands out the most in the card to you? what do you hear the Bright Mother whispering to you?

Are you really neglecting your family even a little? or, are you being to hard at yourself? I think the card is asking you to be honest with yourself. But sometimes you need a break too. Pretend you are your own child. See yourself through those eyes. Ask your kids if they feel you are ignoring them a little .... if they say yes, well there is your answer! Or just simply plan something fun and different with them ... faeries love kids you know!

HighPriestesss

Jewel said:
I think the Bright Mother is also about balance. Mom's have to balance all kinds of priorities. What stands out the most in the card to you? what do you hear the Bright Mother whispering to you?

Are you really neglecting your family even a little? or, are you being to hard at yourself? I think the card is asking you to be honest with yourself. But sometimes you need a break too. Pretend you are your own child. See yourself through those eyes. Ask your kids if they feel you are ignoring them a little .... if they say yes, well there is your answer! Or just simply plan something fun and different with them ... faeries love kids you know!

I'm a SAHM and have spent the last 13+ years raising my kids. However, being a Pisces, I ALWAYS have the inner desire to explore the metaphysical worlds. As I mentioned, lately I have really put 100% into it, and by pulling this card, I felt guilty for pursuing MY interests, even though my kids are well taken care of. And when I read your description, I felt such a sense of relief and comfort, that Bright Mother is trying to say, "It's okay!"

On the other hand, if other people are spending too much time in their interests and neglecting things, I can certainly see where Mother could be scolding.

What an interesting *first* draw for me!

Jewel

HighPriestesss said:
I'm a SAHM and have spent the last 13+ years raising my kids. However, being a Pisces, I ALWAYS have the inner desire to explore the metaphysical worlds.
I am Pisces too and know and can realte perfectly to what you are saying. You are also probably very intuitive, so you probably have been basically beating yourself up *LOL*. Enjoy your time and exploration right now, you've earned it!!!

faerylvr

I pulled her last night and felt like the worst parent in the world. I felt like she was telling me to stay home from work today (which I can't do) and bake my kid's b-day cake otherwise it wouldn't come out "perfect"... he is seven, he doesn't want perfect, he wants mom made... so, long night tonight, but I will survive... and I hope Bright Mother comes out to help tonight. Guilt is such a "great" thing... but it does make us reflect.