High Priestess: Boaz, Jachin, Torah etc

Liz C

I've done a bit of internet research on some of the symbolism in the RWS High Priestess card, and as a result I have a few questions. Hoping some religious, history and/or tarot buffs might be able to help me. First I'll state what I found, then I'll state my questions :)

The pillars B & J are the pillars Boaz and Jakin (Jachin) situated at the entrance of the First Temple of Jerusalem built by King Solomon. Solomon's Temple apparently housed the Ark of the Covenant (which held the Ten Commandments; Gods law). The Ark of the Covenant was kept inside the Holy of Holies, an inner sanctuary, the most sacred place within the temple. From my albeit brief search on the internet, only the High Priest could enter the Holy of Holies once a year to pour blood sacrifice over the Ark (or something to this effect ie it was very very very sacred).

The scroll held by the High Priestess is the Sefer Torah, the most important and sacred document in Judaism, revered as the word of God (and said to have been revealed to Moses). The Sefer Torah is a hand-written copy of the Torah, in the form of a scroll. It would only have been written out by a male. And, I believe, in the vast majority of Orthodox congretations, only men are called to read the Torah to the congretation (although things may be changing in this day and age?). It contains 613 commandments from God; some are things that should be done; some are things that are forbidden, not to be done. I read that torah means teaching, instruction or *law*.

Following are my questions:

1) Why specifically did Waite want to make reference to Solomons' Temple in the HP card? (I realise this is probably not known). I can see the spiritual connotations, ie entering the temple is akin to delving within to know your own sacred Inner Self; I can see the spiritual metaphors. But I was wondering why he chose to make reference to THAT temple specifically? It it simply because of the Christian culture he grew up in?

2) According to religous belief Solomon's Temple held the Ten Commandments (God's word/law). The Torah has 613 commandments (God's word/law). **Why is the High Priestess holding these religious laws on her lap, and sitting outside the temple containing these religious laws?**

I thought The Hierophant was more interested in keeping, upholding and passing down RULES or LAWS, than the High Priestess. To me, laws, even religious ones, are more the world of The Hierophant.

I tend to see the veil on the card as the Maya Veil. So could the message of this card be that in order to pierce the veil, and experience the Inner Self, we ultimately need to *give up* these rules or laws, and move beyond them, and all sense of good/bad, right/wrong, to know God? Aren't rules and laws just another aspect of the Maya Veil, in that they make us feel separate and distinct individuals, separate from God, good or bad (sinners)? (The opposite of I AM THAT).

Are the religious symbols on the card (B & J, the cross on her chest, the Torah) symbolic of religious orders? Are they meant to be used on our spiritual journey, or are they things to let go? I like the idea of religion as a boat to use to cross the river, but once we've crossed the river, we let go of it, as we are Free.

3) Why does Waite show a woman holding the Sefer Torah? From my brief bit of internet research, I got the definite impression, particularly in ancient times, that only men made copies of and studied and read from the Torah. On Wikipedia it says, "Women were historically exempted from any study [of the Torah] beyond an understanding of the practical aspects of Torah, and the rules neccessary in running a Jewish household, both of which they had an obligation to learn." But I get the impression that a woman would not have been able to hold the Sefer Torah, or read from it directly (?) So the image of a woman holding the Sefer Torah is just a bit naughty isn't it? (from the point of view of Orthodox Judaism). And only a male High Priest would have been allowed to enter the Holy of Holies inside the temple (where the sacred Ark of the Covenant was kept).

Could this have been done to show the hidden treasure/concealment aspect of this card? ie approaching areas that are normally *hidden* or *concealed* from us, approaching a closed-off area (this is particularly so for women?)

4) I believe I may have read somewhere, that the pillars B & J could be plants. On the card, they look quite like the stalks of lilies, with the lotus at the top of the stalk (check out the design at the top of the columns). Also you have the pomegranates and palms on the veil. I see all these as references to Mother Nature as the Maya Veil.

I read somewhere on the internet that Solomon's Temple courtyards were full of trees, flowers and fountains, because the temple was meant to be a recreation of the Garden of Eden. I also read that Solomon made an alliance with the Pharoah King of Egypt and married his daughter, and that hence, one might expect a certain amount of Egyptian taste in the court. Egyptian motifs include lilies and lotus flowers, and palm trees (I'm sorry I don't have the reference).

So the two pillars could be lily plants, and a further reference to Mother Nature as the Maya Veil? That it is hard to know the Truth, when surrounded by apparent duality and separateness (Mother Nature).

5) I've read some associations of the porch/entrance of the temple and pillars with the *birth canal* ie rebirth into the world of Spirit? Does anyone have anymore thoughts, info on this?

What do you think of the Virgin standing in front of and guarding this entrance? (woman's sexual organs) Is she inviting us, or is she guarding the entrance?

6) Pomegranates (on the veil) are referred to in the Bible (1 Kings 7:13-22). Hence the reason why pomegranates are a frequent motif in Christian religous decoration (?). Does anyone know what Christians associate with the pomegranate fruit?

I'm aware that in Judaism the Torah is assciated with the pomegranate, as it is meant to have 613 seeds. But what do Christians associate with the pomegranate, if anything? Just curious.

7) Lastly, how do you think that CYCLIC PROCESSES (Moon) apply to this card? I'm particularly interested in the relevance of CYCLES.

Well, I think I better stop here :)
All insights greatly appreciated!
Liz.

Abrac

This looks like an interesting list of questions you have here. Unfortunately I don't have time to read them all right now but I'm looking forward to stopping by tomorrow when I will have more time. However I do have something I can share right now on the first two.

But I was wondering why he chose to make reference to THAT temple specifically? It it simply because of the Christian culture he grew up in?
Waite was a Freemason in which Solomon's temple plays an important role. This could account for the J and B.

**Why is the High Priestess holding these religious laws on her lap, and sitting outside the temple containing these religious laws?**
The High Priestess herself is the door. Part of the Torah is showing and another part is concealed beneath her robe. This represents the exoteric and esoteric aspects of the Law respectively. The exoteric aspect is what is shown to the general public, but that which is concealed (the esoteric) is only revealed to the initiated.

Abrac

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. I am reminded of how deep and profound the symbolism on this deck can be. I don't claim by any means to know everything there is to know about it, but hopefully I may be able to add something.

There does seem to be a lot of symbolism on this card that can be traced back to Judaism and the Torah. But considering Waite and Smith's mystical bent, most - if not all - of it should be interpreted metaphysically. This would explain the apparent contradictory nature of the female symbolism combined with the patriarchal symbolism from the Torah. The Mystery schools had no problem with the use of such symbolism. They considered it a representation of "deeper" or hidden meanings.

The pomegranate is of particular interest. Not only did it decorate the tops of the pillars J and B, but was embroidered onto the hem of the High Priest's robe (Exodus 28:33). I read somewhere that some believe the pomegranate was the fruit on the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden. I like this interpretation as it seems more satisfying than the usual view of fecundity or abundance. This interpretation seems to be the general consensus among commentators with regard to Christianity. Most say it represents the abundance of God's love or the large number of Christian followers.

The High Priestess and the Hierophant are two sides of the same coin. The Hierophant represents the outer school and the High Priestess the inner.

Liz C said:
I tend to see the veil on the card as the Maya Veil. So could the message of this card be that in order to pierce the veil, and experience the Inner Self, we ultimately need to *give up* these rules or laws, and move beyond them
I would agree.

Are they meant to be used on our spiritual journey, or are they things to let go? I like the idea of religion as a boat to use to cross the river, but once we've crossed the river, we let go of it, as we are Free.
I like the way you put it. The symbols represent the hidden doctrine. They are the keys that open the door. Once the door is open we no longer need the keys (except for keeping the door locked to keep the profane out).

Lastly, how do you think that CYCLIC PROCESSES (Moon) apply to this card? I'm particularly interested in the relevance of CYCLES.
The original Jewish calendar was based on the cycles of the moon. All the festivals and ceremonies fell on important dates associated with the moon's cycles. In the Mystery schools the cycles of the moon were also important. They represented the cycles of nature and formed the basis for important allegories in the secret doctrine.

Abrac

Liz C said:
What do you think of the Virgin standing in front of and guarding this entrance? (woman's sexual organs) Is she inviting us, or is she guarding the entrance?
Maybe both. An invitation to those who are worthy and to dissuade those who are not.

I'm sure there is a lot of sexual symbolism going on here too. The fruit of the date palms, which also decorate the veil, represent male potency while the pomegranates represent female fertility. This sexual aspect would also tie back into to cycles of the moon.

Liz C

Abrac said:
Waite was a Freemason in which Solomon's temple plays an important role. This could account for the J and B..
Thanks. Looks like this is going to lead to more research :) Does anyone have any articles or info on this? (ie Solomon's Temple in Freemasonry)

Abrac said:
The High Priestess herself is the door. Part of the Torah is showing and another part is concealed beneath her robe. This represents the exoteric and esoteric aspects of the Law respectively. The exoteric aspect is what is shown to the general public, but that which is concealed (the esoteric) is only revealed to the initiated.
So, are you saying that one shouldn't interpret this symbol (the Torah) too literally? That its just a representation of spiritual or religious teachings in general....but something that is done behind closed doors. It's Truth that is not readily available to the general public, or readily accepted by the general public. It is higher teachings, that only a few have the courage or tenacity to embark on?

I still have a problem with Waite choosing the Torah, which is essentially a list of things which one should or should not do, a list of laws to be followed (unless I've missed something, no offence intended to anyone of the Jewish faith).

Liz C

Abrac said:
I read somewhere that some believe the pomegranate was the fruit on the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden. I like this interpretation as it seems more satisfying than the usual view of fecundity or abundance.
And this would also fit in with the idea of Mother Nature as the Maya Veil. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of Christianity and the Bible, but to me, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is another representation of the Maya Veil ie the Tree represents mother nature, the physical plane, good vs evil - the world of duality and opposites, as opposed to Oneness.

Abrac said:
In the Mystery schools the cycles of the moon were also important. They represented the cycles of nature and formed the basis for important allegories in the secret doctrine.
Again, cycles of nature = Mother Nature as the Maya Veil. I hadn't thought of that association.

Also, could cycles, which involve coming back or returning to the same point or the beginning (?) be a metaphor for coming back to the beginning as a child, in a spiritual sense? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Liz C

Abrac said:
Maybe both. An invitation to those who are worthy and to dissuade those who are not.
I like this view of the High Priestess. When I look at the card, and see her sitting there on that stone seat *right* in the middle of those pillars, well to me, she seems rather immovable...like she really is guarding the entrance. Again, this fits in with the Maya Veil aspect.

Abrac said:
I'm sure there is a lot of sexual symbolism going on here too. The fruit of the date palms, which also decorate the veil, represent male potency while the pomegranates represent female fertility. This sexual aspect would also tie back into to cycles of the moon.
I know I seem to be on one track here, but again, the sexuality thing also involves opposites (man, woman) and hence, is part of the Maya Veil or the grand illusion.

Yes, I can't help but see a lot of sexual symbolism in this card! Particularly with that veil! lol

Abrac

Liz C said:
So, are you saying that one shouldn't interpret this symbol (the Torah) too literally? That its just a representation of spiritual or religious teachings in general....but something that is done behind closed doors. It's Truth that is not readily available to the general public, or readily accepted by the general public. It is higher teachings, that only a few have the courage or tenacity to embark on?
That's pretty much what I'm saying. I would say the use of the Tora here is a reference to Kabalah, but Waite was very vocal about his view that the Tarot has nothing to do with Kabalah. In The Pictorial Key he says: "The scroll in her hands is inscribed with the word 'Tora,' signifying the Greater Law, the Secret Law, and the second sense of the Word."

What does this mean? I believe these three (Greater Law, Secret Law, and second meaning of the Word) are all the same. They refer to the esoteric and hidden nature of the contents of the scroll which the High Priestess presides over. This is contrary to what I said before about thinking part of the scroll represents that which is revealed and the other part that which is concealed. After reading what Waite has written, I believe the entire scroll represents the esoteric.

I still have a problem with Waite choosing the Torah, which is essentially a list of things which one should or should not do, a list of laws to be followed (unless I've missed something, no offence intended to anyone of the Jewish faith).
Torah, or Tora simply means "teaching, instruction, or law." Granted, when certain people hear the word they will automatically think of the Jewish Torah, but here again initiates and mystics have no reluctance about incorporating existing imagery and using it to conceal their own beliefs and doctrines. In my opinion Waite is talking about a different Law entirely than the Jewish Torah, though he has veiled it under the cover of a convenient smokescreen.

venicebard

Liz C said:
1) Why specifically did Waite want to make reference to Solomons' Temple in the HP card?
If Waite went by the more logical of the two main modern methods of alligning Hebrew letters to trumps, then B-beyt was the 2nd trump, and beyt means 'house' (both physical and geneological) but also 'temple'.
2)Why is the High Priestess holding these religious laws on her lap, and sitting outside the temple containing these religious laws?
Surely to bring attention to her being a metaphor and not an actual priestess, n'est ce pas? (She is mother Sophia: Wisdom.)
I thought The Hierophant was more interested in keeping, upholding and passing down RULES or LAWS, than the High Priestess. To me, laws, even religious ones, are more the world of The Hierophant.
Yes, this is one of the disadvantages of the Waite deck: the mother's arm presenting her twins for papal blessing is omitted, warping the symbolism from its original intent. (The Marseilles V LaPape is actually the bardic B or Boaz, which corresponds to the female pillar and signifies the front column of the human form, broken off at the sternum to allow for the expansion of the womb in childbearing.)
So could the message of this card be that in order to pierce the veil, and experience the Inner Self, we ultimately need to *give up* these rules or laws, and move beyond them, and all sense of good/bad, right/wrong, to know God?
As Hebrew B-beyt (its exoteric signification), it does indeed point to one's inner self: B signifies the inner horizon or lip (being on the lips) of the Cauldron (lower half of one's concept of the surroundings, extending from horizon without, originally P, to horizon within, which is B).
3) Why does Waite show a woman holding the Sefer Torah?
Surely, as I said, to stress the metaphorical nature of the image: she is in a sense the Shekhinah, which to Kabbalists was feminine.
Could this have been done to show the hidden treasure/concealment aspect of this card?
Its number does indicate duplicity (among other things), and indeed the bardic and Hebrew numbering between it and V Pope is simple reversal: bardic 2 is E (heh) and 5 is B, while Hebrew 2 is beyt and 5 is heh.
4) I believe I may have read somewhere, that the pillars B & J could be plants.
In the runic elder futhark the only two letters which retain their tree-names (from the bardic tree-alphabet preserved intact in medieval Irish) are birch and yew: these are B and I and correspond to Hebrew beyt and zayin, as Hebrew yod represents bardic Ii, hypothesized by Robert Graves to represent mistletoe (though he evidently failed to see yod's resemblance thereto in not descending to the line on which one writes as all the other letters do).

So it is beyt and zayin in Hebrew that represent these pillars originally, though I's hardening into consonant Z (which in the name Zeus arises from the corruption of D by I or Y) may have led to yod being substituted for zayin (bardic I), which it originally doubled (as Ii).

B-birch is the tree of birth or inception, being the first tree-month (starting at winter solstice). I-yew is the tree of old age and death, being the vowel of winter: its trump (esoterically, that is, by bardic numbering) is III Empress, since waning lunar phase is associated by pagans with the weaning of female children (according to Jacob Grimm) and this is the ruling principle, that which brings things to a close. (That it is the male column, Jachin, is shown on the Marseilles version by the fact that the eagle on the shield extends its tail feathers to embrace her about the middle, to indicate that the male column Jachin forms the support of both male and female forms.)
I read somewhere on the internet that Solomon's Temple courtyards were full of trees, flowers and fountains, because the temple was meant to be a recreation of the Garden of Eden.
Not only that, but the Hebrew reverence for trees -- pointing to kinship between their tradition and that of the Kelts in Britain and Ireland -- is well-attested. The old Hebrew form of qof, for example, is a fruit with stem, Q being quert the apple in Irish, and stands for the womb or fruit thereof (stem=umbilical), square-Hebrew qof being obviously the womb seen in profile with the two openings relevant to it, that of umbilical cord and that of birth canal. Which I wrote before I read your next question:
5) I've read some associations of the porch/entrance of the temple and pillars with the *birth canal* ie rebirth into the world of Spirit? Does anyone have anymore thoughts, info on this?

In the Marseilles, she is apparently blushing at (but not responding to) the sounds of lovemaking, namely the lovemaking clearly pictured in the pillars and veil above her via the large, circumcised male organ extending across her chest (the clasp that binds her cloak) . . . further emphasizing the metaphorical nature of the image.
6) Does anyone know what Christians associate with the pomegranate fruit?
As far as I know, royalty.

ZenMusic

1 Kings Verses 7:13–22 describes pomegranates images in King Solomon' temple (symbol of rightousness); have many other symbolic meanings (fertility, Persephone's fall, which created the Seasons and bound her to the Underworld (which perhaps links this also to the unconscious) )

the Lavers in the temple where decorated with palm trees.

Also Isis = Priestess
had this in her temple
"I am everything that was, everything that is, that will be and no mortal has yet dared to lift my veil. ”