Method for Interpreting Decks With Scenic Minors

TarotVerbatim

Tarot Verbatim is a system that takes phrases from elements of the illustrations of Rider Waite, emphasizes the things the surrounding cards have in common to get the theme of the reading. The phrases make 3 sentences that repeat and support one another in a Celtic Cross spread, to the degree the spread is accurate.
Its meanings come from the field, rather than from colors or histories.

So Two of Pentacles goes like this:
A juggler wears a dunce cap, dresses silly, and dances while he juggles. Ships toss wildly on wave behind him, and the plates or balls he juggles are connected by the 'constant repeat' math sign.
Cycles: repeated action, over and over, timing in the juggling
Movements: up and down, back and forth, round and round, diagonally,
Instability: He is dressed in a silly costume. The ships are tossing up and down.
Performance: He is a professional juggler. He is a dancer. He is a performer.

This card comes up for either/or sentences, means indecision, being swayed this way and that, comme ci comme ca.

These would be its main meanings.

Richard

......A juggler wears a dunce cap, dresses silly, and dances while he juggles. Ships toss wildly on wave behind him, and the plates or balls he juggles are connected by the 'constant repeat' math sign.
Yes, the pattern is cyclic, like a sine wave: uniformly up and down, the amplitude of a musical note, the pistons driven by a crankshaft, the linkage between the wheels of a locomotive: a uniform pattern of cyclical change.
.....Movements: up and down, back and forth, round and round, diagonally.....
Yes indeed: a uniform pattern of movement, like a heartbeat, the motion of air in and out of the lungs, the bellows of a blacksmith, the movement of the arms of a boxer working out on a boxing speed bag.
.....Instability: He is dressed in a silly costume. The ships are tossing up and down.
Performance: He is a professional juggler. He is a dancer. He is a performer......
No, there is nothing unstable about the movements of a professional juggler or dancer. There is motion, but it is in harmony with what the performer is doing. If a juggler gets out of rhythm, he drops whatever objects he is juggling. If a dancer gets out of sync with the music, it is a failed performance.
.....This card comes up for either/or sentences, means indecision, being swayed this way and that, comme ci comme ca.....
As I have explained, there is nothing indecisive or random about the actions depicted in the card. The message of the Two or Pentacles is harmonious change.

ravenest

Tarot Verbatim is a system that takes phrases from elements of the illustrations of Rider Waite, emphasizes the things the surrounding cards have in common to get the theme of the reading. The phrases make 3 sentences that repeat and support one another in a Celtic Cross spread, to the degree the spread is accurate.
Its meanings come from the field, rather than from colors or histories.

So Two of Pentacles goes like this:
A juggler wears a dunce cap, dresses silly, and dances while he juggles. Ships toss wildly on wave behind him, and the plates or balls he juggles are connected by the 'constant repeat' math sign.
Movements: up and down, back and forth, round and round, diagonally,
Instability: He is dressed in a silly costume. The ships are tossing up and down.
Performance: He is a professional juggler. He is a dancer. He is a performer.

This card comes up for either/or sentences, means indecision, being swayed this way and that, comme ci comme ca.

Hi ... just wondering if you got permission for this info and TM name usage from 'Emily' or you are 'Emily' ?

( NOTICE – Anyone found copying Tarot Verbatim’s™ website or using Tarot Verbatim’s™ trademarked/copyrighted text and/or ..... http://tarotverbatim.com/ )

And by the way, I fully agree with LRichard here .... (see my post above)

if you dont understand the processes depicted comparing them and thinking they are similar is hit or miss. There is a lot more to tarot than just comparing elements within the images, particularly in RW deck.

Zephyros

I actually think it is an interesting and novel way to read, and not something I've seen before. It seems very TdM-ish and uniquely suited for it. It is even almost similar to the way I read a Tree of Life spread. That being said, I really don't see it as being useful for the RWS, in which each card is not only modified by its position in a spread but also, and perhaps especially, has independent attributes unique to it. Each card is like an individual unto itself (if I remember correctly I think Crowley said something to that effect, probably in the Book of Thoth).

ravenest

It is a novel way to read. I will grant that.

Its whether it delivers results or not, the depth and understanding of analysis seems crucial here. Also I notice the system seems geared primarily to RW and is not offered as an across the board, various decks method.

One might be putting one's own shallow, misunderstood concepts into the symbols and coming up with some strange ideas ... like we have seen on a few threads here, that lead to the opposite of what the card, Waite and Pixie intended ( like the 6 cups - being seen as a pedophile danger ) ....

I dont see why this is necessary in the first place ... unless one wants to extract their own meaning for a card ( and if so, that wont be relevant for others ) ... if one wants Waite's meaning, then its in the book. If someone wants Waite's esoteric meaning ... good luck with that , I go to Thoth in that regard, where such things are set out ...... not as Waite like.

If people want to concoct random, ill formed meanings from mixing the symbols that they dont understand fully, together ..... well, I suppose thats .... fun ?

Teheuti

Tarot Verbatim is a system that takes phrases from elements of the illustrations of Rider Waite . . .

This is an interesting mechanism for obtaining card meanings, but I would hardly call it new or revolutionary. Rather you seem to have simply defined a set of specific rules to what is a natural process of reading the images. It is also notable that given the rules, but not the example, I believe you'd find that individuals would come up with quite different meanings for a card based on their own assumptions about what is going on in the image. For instance, I might describe the cap as a pileus (rather than a dunce cap) and assume that the figure is a skilled Greek entertainer who is traveling the ancient world (footloose and fancy free).

nisaba

.... which is where a deeper education is very handy! It gives you so much more to draw on.

TarotVerbatim

Responses to my post

The instability is in the tossing ships. They are very much in the illustration. Also the back and forth swing, similar to a hand gesture that expresses 'this way and that' bring up 'either this way or that.' That meaning appears when the issue is about a choice, or two things being considered.

The system works not just for me but for many people who access the archives of the blog for their own readings, and report that. It arose as the result of lectures on the Consistent Violators of the Laws of Random Distribution. Tarot (when people think of a particular thing) is one of five known consistent violators at the time of that lecture.

The either/or comes from the field, and would involve other cards' or the question's elements.

I didn't say anything about what position the card would be in in Celtic cross. In the blog, only three cards are used because the analysis of the interaction among and between the cards is detailed and intense, resulting in around 2200 words a day for three cards.

As to my delusional and juvenile approach, the meanings derive from writing down what that card said, among other cards, in thousands of spreads, and organizing that information, and using it. I began in 1980. The blog began as an experiment to demonstrate, one, whether Tarot were a better group reading tool than astrology. It obviously is, from comments of visitors. Two, whether, from the first time a visitor experienced the blog, they felt it related to their current reality. They report it does. Great tool for group readings.

There are more ways to read Tarot than there are Tarot readers. I consider Tarot a tool to access your own subconscious. I explain that concept in a brief article on the blog, and have written articles on it. Tarot is trying to talk to you, whoever you are and whatever you believe or don't believe, and whatever your level of education and experience is ... because Tarot is your subconscious - as I see it.

So I'm not arguing with anyone's system, and not inviting anyone's putdowns because they disagree with some part, or all, of what I present. This is a forum, which means an open discussion, a come-together parlor experience.

And by the way, my post was in response to another person's on another part of this site. I did not land here on this part to say anything. That means I did not read the material here. Had I done so, I probably would not have any reason to post what I did. (And I still have not read anything from this section of this site. As a computer naif, I find navigating this site very confusing - not a criticism.)

Relating to the folks who said 'This is an interesting way to read,' yes, it is. It can be learned and applied by anyone who sees patterns and thinks in themes. I even taught it to lawyers when I was a court reporter. It is standalone.

Relating to whoever said someone else could use another part of the illustration, from their experience, and come up with a different meaning in a particular spread for that card ... well, DUH, yes, that's what we do. Every day, all of us.

Relating to whoever said it was not totally unique ... did I say it was? Tarot is Tarot. Much of what appears in my system is in other systems. A few of the cards in Tarot Verbatim have very different meanings from the standard, and many of them contain a few meanings that are nonstandard. If it were all standard, there would be nothing to talk about. And we are here talking, aren't we?

I didn't create or make up any of the meanings. They are a compilation of thousands of spreads over, initially, eleven years of notebooks, using the entire deck for each question - and each of the questions was a 'known.' In other words, the 'unknown' would be the the meaning of the card or cards: You can't solve an unknown with an unknown. When I did the experiment, a hobby, I knew nothing at all about Tarot, and was totally not interested in anything New Age, esoteric or occult. It was still a sort of science experiment.

After the eleven years, I continued the encyclopedia of meanings on index cards. Until today, going on 35 years.

avalonian

Hi ... just wondering if you got permission for this info and TM name usage from 'Emily' or you are 'Emily' ?

( NOTICE – Anyone found copying Tarot Verbatim’s™ website or using Tarot Verbatim’s™ trademarked/copyrighted text and/or ..... http://tarotverbatim.com/ )

The homepage link in the user profile for TarotVerbatim takes you to that web page so it would appear that they are Emily.

:) :) :)

aurafields

The instability is in the tossing ships. They are very much in the illustration. Also the back and forth swing, similar to a hand gesture that expresses 'this way and that' bring up 'either this way or that.' That meaning appears when the issue is about a choice, or two things being considered.

The system works not just for me but for many people who access the archives of the blog for their own readings, and report that. It arose as the result of lectures on the Consistent Violators of the Laws of Random Distribution. Tarot (when people think of a particular thing) is one of five known consistent violators at the time of that lecture.

The either/or comes from the field, and would involve other cards' or the question's elements.

I didn't say anything about what position the card would be in in Celtic cross. In the blog, only three cards are used because the analysis of the interaction among and between the cards is detailed and intense, resulting in around 2200 words a day for three cards.

As to my delusional and juvenile approach, the meanings derive from writing down what that card said, among other cards, in thousands of spreads, and organizing that information, and using it. I began in 1980. The blog began as an experiment to demonstrate, one, whether Tarot were a better group reading tool than astrology. It obviously is, from comments of visitors. Two, whether, from the first time a visitor experienced the blog, they felt it related to their current reality. They report it does. Great tool for group readings.

There are more ways to read Tarot than there are Tarot readers. I consider Tarot a tool to access your own subconscious. I explain that concept in a brief article on the blog, and have written articles on it. Tarot is trying to talk to you, whoever you are and whatever you believe or don't believe, and whatever your level of education and experience is ... because Tarot is your subconscious - as I see it.

So I'm not arguing with anyone's system, and not inviting anyone's putdowns because they disagree with some part, or all, of what I present. This is a forum, which means an open discussion, a come-together parlor experience.

And by the way, my post was in response to another person's on another part of this site. I did not land here on this part to say anything. That means I did not read the material here. Had I done so, I probably would not have any reason to post what I did. (And I still have not read anything from this section of this site. As a computer naif, I find navigating this site very confusing - not a criticism.)

Relating to the folks who said 'This is an interesting way to read,' yes, it is. It can be learned and applied by anyone who sees patterns and thinks in themes. I even taught it to lawyers when I was a court reporter. It is standalone.

Relating to whoever said someone else could use another part of the illustration, from their experience, and come up with a different meaning in a particular spread for that card ... well, DUH, yes, that's what we do. Every day, all of us.

Relating to whoever said it was not totally unique ... did I say it was? Tarot is Tarot. Much of what appears in my system is in other systems. A few of the cards in Tarot Verbatim have very different meanings from the standard, and many of them contain a few meanings that are nonstandard. If it were all standard, there would be nothing to talk about. And we are here talking, aren't we?

I didn't create or make up any of the meanings. They are a compilation of thousands of spreads over, initially, eleven years of notebooks, using the entire deck for each question - and each of the questions was a 'known.' In other words, the 'unknown' would be the the meaning of the card or cards: You can't solve an unknown with an unknown. When I did the experiment, a hobby, I knew nothing at all about Tarot, and was totally not interested in anything New Age, esoteric or occult. It was still a sort of science experiment.

After the eleven years, I continued the encyclopedia of meanings on index cards. Until today, going on 35 years.

Good for you! Learning in patterns and thinking in themes is exactly how reading is done most accurately and open the psychic abilities to assist in doing truly valuable reading work for others. I read the toxic post and was so surprised to see such closed minded and narrow criticism of the approach of others. Some of our fellow readers could do with an ego check and cleansing. The Tarot is always the subconscious working through conscious awareness at whatever level we are on in order to try to bring the two consciousnesses together in a harmonious understanding of the card meanings. It's always been, since the beginning of its use, a tool which uses visual symbols to help readers who practice to open "their" abilities to perceive archetypal meanings. I noticed that a couple of the staunchly critical, seemingly angry students above, were corrected recently themselves for their narrow vision and what others felt were incorrect interpretations of the cards. If you think you can't learn from how differently another sees something, then you are ego stuck and need to work on this if you are to continue to grow and read the cards accurately. The tarot can mean so many things to each person reading them, its all interpretive. If you find you are picking up on one meaning someone else didn't get, that's natural. They see something you don't, and who's to say the element which stand out to them in the cards meaning is less important to the person seeking the reading. Criticizing others is a 100 % transference of your own insecurities. The harder you push away the possibility that another persons additional views are possible, the more you are trying to prove to yourself that you are right. I often see various meanings in the cards that others do not have definitions for. In fact, I have found over the forty years that I have been reading tarot cards, that the learning never stops. And, to tell you the truth, on more than one occasion, the two of pentacles has gone from meaning the harmonious ability to handle things to absolutely meaning there was a great deal of indecision. Modifying cards can be read to mean many things by many people. Let's all attempt to remain kind, open-minded, and know that none of us knows all there is to know of the tarot. We are all here to learn, and in a broader sense to support each other in our opposing views.