The Quest Tarot study group

BC Hockey Mom

Beginner's Questions

I have a question for anyone who is using the Quest deck or for Joseph Martin. I don't have my deck yet but have wondered some things after reading up on them. Someone told me that just because I'm drawn to the cards dosn't make it the right deck for me. They said that even if they're beautiful to me, make sure there is enough detail on the cards to be able to give concise readings. I know they don't look anything like the traditional cards and have read that there are many other symbols such as gems, ruins, symbols etc. Is this the details that will help with the readings?

And being a beginner and have never owned a deck in my life, other than angle cards and ruins, will I be able to jump right in and begin using them?

I've read that they have similar capabilities to a ouigie (spelling?) board and that is intriguing to me. Has anyone ever used them this way? I've also read that they can spell out names, give details as to hair color, eye color etc....

I'd love to hear some sample readings or insite on the different ways this deck has and can be used.

I want to learn all I can before I receive my deck so I'll be ready to dive right in!!

Thank you for listening and I'd love to hear any and all feedback!

Have a great day...blessings
Joe-Anne

BC Hockey Mom

Joseph Martin's interview

Just wanted to let everyone know I JUST listened to Joseph Martins interview on the radio where he talks about his new Quest Deck. It was awsome!! Now I really can't wait to get my deck!

If you would like to hear it you can find it here http://www.tekneek.com/wpbn/
and click on the Feb/03 show. Joseph's interview begins about 1:18 into the show.

Thank you Joseph for your sharing of how you created this deck and also the help for us beginners!

WOW...what a deck!!...
Blessings...
Joe-Anne

sunflowr

Re: Beginner's Questions

BC Hockey Mom said:
I know they don't look anything like the traditional cards and have read that there are many other symbols such as gems, ruins, symbols etc. Is this the details that will help with the readings?

Personally I am having some trouble reading with them. I love the art work but have mixed feelings about the deck. Some days I love them but some days I feel disconcerted. The deck seems to be VERY right on but I am not feeling as connected as I would like to be. Maybe it comes with time, I dont know. As for the symbols.. they only aid in reading but arent meant to be used all at once. If a symbol happens to catch your attention or you are looking for more help interpreting, they can come in handy. Me, I dont use the other symbols very much.. except for the I-Ching correspondences as I know I-Ching very well. Or, if I am using the deck FOR the other symbols.. like the yes/no daggers on the court cards .. or the letters to spell out words.. which, btw, I am NOT having much luck doing! LOL! Like i said, I think I probably just need time to connect to the deck or maybe to work with something else and come back to them later. We'll see. I'll just go with the flow for now. :)

BC Hockey Mom

Sunflower.....

Wow....I hope they start working better for you soon.....What other decks do you use and do they differ a great deal from the Quest cards??

Please keep us up to date on how they're working for you and what insights you have on them!

You said that they are VERY right on when you do use them, do you use them for yourself or have you done readings for others with them?

Thanks for listening and your comments....
Joe-Anne

sunflowr

BC Hockey Mom said:
Sunflower.....

Wow....I hope they start working better for you soon.....What other decks do you use and do they differ a great deal from the Quest cards??

Please keep us up to date on how they're working for you and what insights you have on them!

You said that they are VERY right on when you do use them, do you use them for yourself or have you done readings for others with them?

Thanks for listening and your comments....
Joe-Anne

I also use a deck called the Joseph Caselli Tarot (which is also called "Beginners Guide to Tarot" by Juliet Sharman Burke, a book and deck set) and I've used other decks in the past, like Vision Quest and Robin Wood. They're all easier to read, altho I love the Quest Tarot. I think I just find it harder to read because the minors are "mood pips" and not actual scenes and I think I need (for now) to go with scenes. I find pips and mood pips hard for me. And there's sooo much going on on each card. They're beautiful but I am having a hard time connecting with them. The scenes, for the minors, arent described in the book neither. And using cards with reversed meanings have always bothered me. I guess those are my main issues. But yea.. when I do use them, they do seem to like "read my mind". :) I havent used them on anyone.. just myself. And I'll be like "yea, they sure nailed it"! :) So, that's a good thing. Maybe I just need to be more patient with them.. like learning a language.

I hope the author will have a section on his website to describe the scenery on the minors.. I dont know why the book doesnt have them. There's alot of space on those pages too.. as tho they should've been there. But yea.. having that would definitely help my experience.

LaLaBella

Re: Beginner's Questions

BC Hockey Mom said:
I have a question for anyone who is using the Quest deck or for Joseph Martin. I don't have my deck yet but have wondered some things after reading up on them. Someone told me that just because I'm drawn to the cards dosn't make it the right deck for me. They said that even if they're beautiful to me, make sure there is enough detail on the cards to be able to give concise readings. I know they don't look anything like the traditional cards and have read that there are many other symbols such as gems, ruins, symbols etc. Is this the details that will help with the readings?

And being a beginner and have never owned a deck in my life, other than angle cards and ruins, will I be able to jump right in and begin using them?

I've read that they have similar capabilities to a ouigie (spelling?) board and that is intriguing to me. Has anyone ever used them this way? I've also read that they can spell out names, give details as to hair color, eye color etc....

I'd love to hear some sample readings or insite on the different ways this deck has and can be used.

I want to learn all I can before I receive my deck so I'll be ready to dive right in!!

Thank you for listening and I'd love to hear any and all feedback!

Have a great day...blessings
Joe-Anne
Hi Joe-Anne!
People said the same thing to me regarding my Sacred Circle cards. :D The Quest has a bunch of different individual items to work with in each card. When you use them, go into it with an open mind. You don't want to use all aspects of each card in a reading. What I mean by this is that once you lay the cards out, look at the card you are going to read. You will usually notice one thing right away and that's the detail you work with. But as a beginner, you don't want to use the i-ching factors, and the runic factors. and the ouija aspects, and the aleph-bet all at the same time. You'll give up before you start.
Like I said, take it easy and get to know the cards.
Good luck,
DC

BC Hockey Mom

Thanks everyone!!....It's great to hear everyones opinion!! I guess the bottom line is they are a multi-purpose card and we just go with what we see first!!...I will keep that in mind! Can't wait!!...

Joe-Anne

JosephMartin

Free Downloads

Hello:

I've posted this in the other threads also. However, I've added to my website some FREE items for those who are interested.

www.questtarot.com

go to the "Free Downloads" area.

You'll find 4 reference cards in PDF format. You'll need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print these files. Also there are 2 Desktop images to use with your computer. I picked the two most popular screen sizes. Though I've found that now-a-days there are are large number of different screen sizes.

Enjoy these items... they are just a thank you to all of you.

yours in the cards,
Joseph

BC Hockey Mom

desktop art

Thanks Joseph!!

I have it on my desk top NOW and it looks great!!....very cool!!

Joe-Anne

JosephMartin

The inside scoop

sunflowr said:
I hope the author will have a section on his website to describe the scenery on the minors.. I dont know why the book doesnt have them. There's alot of space on those pages too.. as tho they should've been there. But yea.. having that would definitely help my experience.

When I submitted the book to Llewellyn it was completely layed out and ready to go. But Llewellyn decided to re-layout the book which created more space on certain pages. When I wrote the book I thought I was limited to a certain number of pages, so the minors section was smaller, but that changed at virtually the last minute. One of the ideas that Llewellyn had was to create more space so people could write their own notes directly into the book.

I'm working with Llewellyn now to add more to the reprint of the book but have met with resistance. If I'm unable to add more to the book then I'll add more to the website so those that wish will have more info, especially in the minors.

You are right.... there is a lot there in the images and not all is explained in the book. The major reason being was to keep the book under 300 pages.

The other reason was to try not to overwhelm a "first time" reader.

You have posted a keen observation.

yours in the cards,
Joseph