Wicca Pack - CORD (initiation)

MareSaturni

The first card for our study group. I'm not going in the book order - i'll draw one card randomly every week (or i'll try, at least). You are all free to start card threads too, of course :)

CORD

So, the cards keywords are initiation and willpower. The card shows a white cord, "filled" with different coloured cords. It's put in a DNA-like shape, and stands between two pillars, one black the other white. Behind the cord we can see four colours: yellow, red, blue and green.

I wonder what could those symbols with the cord mean...this card stands for initiation, but we can't forget cords are used to tie things. So, it's time to...tie yourself to something. Start something, or be started, but do it 'for real'...with real bonds? Responsability and will?

Any other ideas?

Tarotphelia

This might also refer to knot magic, the witch's ladder , the witch's "rosary".

( I really loathe it when pagans use these terms like witch's "rosary", witch's "bible" , pagan "church" etc . Wherever they might have originated they are still associated with xianity and it looks like we have nothing else to call our own stuff and have to borrow or fit it into a mold of theirs. Nevermind. )

Note to self: <Will remember to bring actual deck downstairs and place by computer now..>

MareSaturni

Dark Inquisitor said:
This might also refer to knot magic, the witch's ladder , the witch's "rosary".

True! Did you notice the two pillars look like the Tarot's High Priestess ones? One black, one white...i've read they are said to be the pillars that stood before Solomon's temple. Anyway, for our Wiccan stody, i guess they mean...polarity? The balance between the 'dark' and the 'light'?

What that could add to the cord's card meaning? Isn't that weird that the book doesn't mention that?

FantasyWorld

miss_yuko said:
True! Did you notice the two pillars look like the Tarot's High Priestess ones? One black, one white...i've read they are said to be the pillars that stood before Solomon's temple. Anyway, for our Wiccan stody, i guess they mean...polarity? The balance between the 'dark' and the 'light'?

What that could add to the cord's card meaning? Isn't that weird that the book doesn't mention that?

~Yuko

Balance was the 1st thing I thought of when I noticed the one white and other black. The thought "I was blind but now I see" came to mind?....Could be also a connection to the upper and lower realms in balance with ourselves.

MareSaturni

FantasyWorld said:
Balance was the 1st thing I thought of when I noticed the one white and other black. The thought "I was blind but now I see" came to mind?....Could be also a connection to the upper and lower realms in balance with ourselves.

Yes!

From the book:

With any initiation, there is always a measuring of soul...

An initiation always claim for the knowledge that there's a balance...that there's no darkness without light and no light without darkness. Day and night, man and woman. That this balance is needed.

If you are in a situation that are binding you or someone else too tightly...

HERE! If you are in a situation out-of-balance, the cord tells you have to face the truth to see that things aren't good and try to balance them.

All these things need lots of willpower :)

How about this?

Tarotphelia

The symbols within the rope immediately suggested the elements to me , with the wheel of the year above . However, they seemed to differ a bit from the usual symbols and I went on a search to find out more about them . This page seems to explain it :

http://www.fabrisia.com/elements.htm

The rope would seem to suggest the relationship of life and the elements , all intertwined . Maybe this card is sort of a diagram of the forces of light and dark, and elemental powers . The pillars and marble floor would seem to indicate a temple , and we are drawn to the midpoint between and above, perhaps to exist in harmony and balance with these forces.

MareSaturni

Perfect, Dark Inquisitor!

Yes, these symbols do really seem to represent the elements...and your explanation makes a lot of sense. Again, the balance thing...Learning about the Elements will help you balance your thinking and emotions., isn't that what the site says?

And not only balance, but connection...the iniciation makes you connect to the elements. Or make you learn to do that...

~~~Yuko

WolfyJames

miss_yuko said:
An initiation always claim for the knowledge that there's a balance...that there's no darkness without light and no light without darkness. Day and night, man and woman. That this balance is needed.

This is what makes Wicca Wicca, balance and polarity. Many Pagans only see the Goddess and it is very unbalanced but Wicca is about both, equal and balanced polarity.

A cord is usualy given to an initiate who enters into a coven. Each member has a cord and the color shows the status of the person (initiate, first degree, second degree, third degree). I'm not in a coven, so I don't know the colors but I know that some has replaced the status color cord by the color of the robe. You can do cord magick all by yourself or in a coven, with everyone using their cords. A cord binds and unbinds, so, links are created or are broken. Some also use the cord to make the circle in which they create the sacred space for rituals and magick, so the cord offers protection.

FantasyWorld

WolfyJames said:
This is what makes Wicca Wicca, balance and polarity. Many Pagans only see the Goddess and it is very unbalanced but Wicca is about both, equal and balanced polarity.

A cord is usualy given to an initiate who enters into a coven. Each member has a cord and the color shows the status of the person (initiate, first degree, second degree, third degree). I'm not in a coven, so I don't know the colors but I know that some has replaced the status color cord by the color of the robe. You can do cord magick all by yourself or in a coven, with everyone using their cords. A cord binds and unbinds, so, links are created or are broken. Some also use the cord to make the circle in which they create the sacred space for rituals and magick, so the cord offers protection.

Cord colors may vary between covens and traditions...It is a very personal experience and special tool!!!! With each degree (3, usually), comes another cord....with each degree comes growth,wisdom, moving to the next step/level in your life, your path of existence.
The color red is usually for a 1st degree initiate and is indicative of re-birth, being reborn, coming from the womb, hence blood...red.

MareSaturni

Wonderful insights, Wolfy and FantasyWorld! Indeed, the cord represents a bond you create with a coven is a very serious one. The initiation...is also a serious thing, an important spiritual step.
So the cord represents to start something taking it seriously, and also being aware of the balance...to keep a balanced, focused mind.

Good, very good!