Moon Mansions?

redflash

is there a way, without spending money on a birth chart, that I can find out the moon mansion which I was born under? I have had quite basic charts drawn up for me before but mansions weren't mentioned at all. I am working with the Moon Oracle deck, its fascinating & I want to learn more.

redflash

Ummmmmmm, anyone got any ideas at all? x

Grigori

What's a Moon Mansion? :confused:

Northwind

Perhaps you mean the house in which your natal moon appears?

You don't have to spend money on a natal chart. At www.astro.com you can get one done at no cost.

dadsnook2000

Moon Mansions . . .

Moon Mansions are not houses. They are segments of the chart circle which are derived from dividing the circle by the number of lunar days in a lunar month. Its been so long since I looked at them, I wasn't impressed, that I'm not sure whether the segments start at the ASC or the Moon's natal position or what. Dave

dadsnook2000

Info on Luna Mansions

If you go to this site you can find out what each Luna Mansion is supposed to represent and how to set them up in your chart. It took 3 minutes on the Internet to find this with a Google search. I'm sure there is more info out there.

http://www.renaissanceastrology.com/mansionslistpicatrix.html

Dave

redflash

If I have worked it out properly then I was born when the moon was in the 13th mansion. Apparently it is a very negative mansion & those born in this period are negative thinkers, very pessimistic. Which is definitely me ! Can't really find anthing else about moon mansion personalities, I'm quite disappointed that there doesn't seem to be much info on it.

dadsnook2000

Lack of Information?

Well, there are three things you can do.

First, research the Internet and gather as much information as is possible.

Second, contact the Indian/Sidereal/Joytish groups and trace the migration of Lunar Mansions from earlier times and Indian practices into western astrology. Keep in mind that those that borrowed and adapted Moon Mansions never seemed to do their homework and never made a strong case, nor provided documentation and applications, for this methodology. So, you'll probably find that this is a half-a-system compared to its original practice.

Third, start researching both famous people and everyone you know, determine their Moon Mansion and start making notes. In a year or two you'll end up knowing more about this then anyone else and you can write a book.

Dave

leephd

Lunar Mansions: which ones?

There are actually at least three systems of lunar mansions:

1) the Vedic ones, also known as Nakshatras. A good reference for these is:

Harness, Dennis. 1999. The Nakshatras: The Lunar Mansions of Vedic Astrology. Lotus Press: Twin Lakes, WI.

2) The Western ones. Chris Warnock's page listed above is a good source. Most likely, the Western ones were a transmission of the Vedic ones. However, the technique never really caught on, probably in great part because, while Hellenistic astrology had a strong lunar basis, this quality was scaled back in Arabic and then medival Latin astrology.

3) the Chinese ones. Here, you can find out some information in:

Walters, Derek. 2005. The Complete Guide to Chinese Astrology : The Most Comprehensive Study of the Subject Ever Published in the English Language. Watkins/Duncan Baird: London.