Planet Series: The Nodal Axis -- what's it mean?

dadsnook2000

We haven't covered the Nodal Axis, North Node and South Node, in our series of explorations. Since most of us mark the North Node in our charts we ought to think about its meaning.

WHAT ARE THE MOON'S NODES -- TECHNICALLY?
In astronomy and astrology the term "nodes" is most commonly associated with the Moon -- especially for astrologers. Astronomers are more likely to also note that each of the planets we observe in the sky have nodes as well. When a body orbits the Sun, its plane of orbit is not coincidental to the plane of the Earth-Sun pairing. The path of the Earth about the Sun describes the celestial plane known as the Zodiac. The plane of the Moon is tilted relative to our Earth-Sun plane -- when Moon orbits in its path around the Earth it moves from the northern half of its orbit thru the nodal axis into the southern half of its orbit. The point where its orbit takes it from the south to the north is called the North Node, the South Node being the point in its orbit where its path moves from the northern half to the southern half of the orbit.

Due to the forces of nature that are in play, this nodal axis moves backwards, on average, relative to the zodiac -- the zodiac being a convenient measuring tool and reference base. It takes some 18+ years for the node to move backwards and return to a given starting point. This is my understanding of the nodal axis in terms of what it is. I would note that the planets each have their nodal axis but these seem to stay relatively stationary over time and do not move much. For the most part they are seldom used by astrologers.

WHAT ARE THE MOON'S NODES -- ASTROLOGICALLY?

I don't have any reference books on the nodes except a small booklet, "The astrologer's node book" by Donna Van Toen -- less than 100 pages. She doesn't address the first point I want to make -- What are the Moon's Nodes -- Astrologically?

I see the nodes as the symbolic unifying link between the Sun-Moon-Earth. It is at the nodal axis that we have eclipses. Eclipses are special New Moon or Full Moon events when either the Sun or the Moon is blacked out; made to seem unseen. This only happens at or near the nodal axis. Once the Sun and Moon conjoin at a point more than a few degrees from the nodal point, the eclipse is on "partial" in nature, go to some greater number and you may not have any eclipse.

The eclipse-event darkens the Sun or the Moon, symbolically bringing one of the bodies into a symbolic focus. Which one? When we have an eclipse of the Moon, such as recently happened a few days ago, the Moon "goes out" but it happens when we can't see the Sun. So, which is more important; the Moon that goes invisible or the Sun that can't be seen? When we have an eclipse of the Sun, the Moon crosses in front of the Sun -- darkening the Sun, but the Moon (which we can't really see although we might be able to view its dark disk indirectly as it crosses the Sun) is not really visible either. So what is the key to understanding who does what to whom?

Enter the Earth. This is a three-ring circus after all; the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth. For a Lunar Eclipse, the Earth darkens the Moon, coming between it and the Sun. The Moon is temporarily freed from its "reflective" role, cleaned by darkness, and then re-introduced to its role of reflecting or mediating the Sun's light in the evening when sun light is not visible to us. The Full Moon Eclipse renews and refocuses our feelings, our primary needs, our habitual way of reacting to issues and events. The Moon then goes on into its waning half-cycle over the next several days, leaving us in the dark for the first part of the evening, then coming up over the horizon to help provide some light for our path to awareness. It is in this 13 or 14 days after the Full Moon Eclipse that we are to adjust ourselves to a changing world view and finds ways to be different, be better. We come to understand that there are things that are hard to see initially but that they become easier to see as time passes. As the Moon continues to move closer to "new moon" each day, we are weaned away from dependency upon external factors and can come to trust our memory, our emotional strength, our heritage to carry us through our personal night time.

A "new-moon" eclipse is really a Solar Eclipse. Here, the Sun darkens (although it last a much shorter time) as the unseen Moon moves between the Earth and the Sun. So, the Earth also darkens. The Solar Eclipse draws our attention to the subjects of will, of control, of wonder, of expectation, of confidence, of intent and direction -- all of the solar attributes. Do we feel threatened, do we take advantage of the eclipse in some way, do we fully understand what is happening? Do we care? The Solar Eclipse is selective in that it affects a particular path across the Earth's surface. This is in contrast to the Lunar Eclipse which is "out there" and is generally shared by a much wider audience and portion of the earth. Why are we impacted by the Solar Eclipse instead of those south or north of us?

The Solar Eclipse is personal. The Lunar Eclipse is shared by all. Let's think about these statements. I'm not sure this has ever been said before.

WHAT ARE THE MOON'S NODES -- ASTROLOGICALLY: PART TWO.

The nodal axis also links the Sun-Moon-Earth to the Zodiac -- the celestial plane that anchors the movements of all the planets and most (apparently) of the other bodies in our solar system. So, we might want to explore the idea that the Nodes link us to the zodiac, the seasons, the manner in which we measure the movement of the planets. The nodes are the link to that which guides us -- this is probably where the books come up with the "karmic" stuff that is always referred to. The planetary cycles that we are born into started long before our birth. The outer planet cycles define broad sweeps of cultural and social change, the type of world and the experience of all those older than us, that were/was here to welcome us and which shaped our young life as we grew up.

The personal planets are called "personal" because only those born very close to our birth time have those planets in about the same sign-positions and relative positions (to each other) as we have. The "personal" planets, like the Solar Eclipse and its path thru our locality, are actually only "somewhat" personal -- they are not unique to just us, but they are shared by very few in this world. It is only when we bring in the MC axis and Ascendant axis, both specific to our birth locality and birth time (therefore they are truly unique), that we have chart factors that are just our own. As far as the nodes go, they are not related to the house structure in our chart except casually.

So, its the Sun-Moon-Earth. It's the Nodes, the zodiac, the signs, the planets. The nodes are, for us humans, the cosmic link. As the nodes move backwards thru the zodiac they contact the planets, they pass thru the signs and they bring us eclipses. On occassion, they contact our truly personal points; the MC and Asc degrees.

So, this is the start of the discussion. In later threads I would like to offer some views on the Nodes in signs, in houses, in contact with Planets (natal and/or transiting). The only thing that is needed now is the views of the list on how important this topic is to them. What do you want to cover first:
* Nodes in signs
* Nodes in houses
* Nodes aspecting natal planets
* Nodes contacting transiting planets.
* Nodes and eclipses.

Dave.

Indigo Rose

dadsnook2000 said:
So, this is the start of the discussion. In later threads I would like to offer some views on the Nodes in signs, in houses, in contact with Planets (natal and/or transiting). The only thing that is needed now is the views of the list on how important this topic is to them. What do you want to cover first:
* Nodes in signs
* Nodes in houses
* Nodes aspecting natal planets
* Nodes contacting transiting planets.
* Nodes and eclipses.

Dave.

Thanks for starting this subject. To me the Nodes have come to represent the starting and ending points of our purpose on the earth. I feel they connect us to the spiritual plane and our earth mission. Exploring them further is something I look forward to, as I feel there is a hidden key to our destiny found in them.

~:heart:~ indigo rose

Sophie

I love the image of the dragon's head (N.Node) and tail (S. Node) to illustrate the nodal axis - so vivid and descriptive. The dragon is a highly beneficial animals in Chinese mythology, but dangerous - in the I-Ching it is associated with the principle of initiation, the creative spark - in the first hexagram. It is the archetypal yang animal.

The Dragons' Tail is our past, where we come from, our inheritance - whether karmic (if you believe in past lives), or linked to genetic/family/cultural factors, the Tail is what we fall back on in times of stress, our comfort zone.

The Dragon's Head is where we can most usefully grow - the direction that we might find challenging, but ultimately rewarding. It fulfills our karmic destiny for this lifetime, and it allows us to move past our inheritance and our comfort zone.

And as a dragon, it gives us that capacity for initiation, so that we can, actually, move past our comfort zone and fulfill our creative, karmic potential promised by the Dragon's Head.

To understand the main potential of the Tail and the Head in our lives, we need to look at the signs the nodes are in when we were born, and the houses. In my case, Tail was in Scorpio 8, in the 6th House. The Head - the North Node - therefore was in Taurus 8, in the 12th House. I have also used the Sabian Symbols associated with these positions, including the karmic and quest symbols.

So in my case, my greatest potential - and challenge - is developing inner security, comfort, a secure base for myself and others, stability and a good financial plan :D. And I shall be able to do it thanks to all things mystical and imaginative - that goes from tarot readings and psychic work, to inspirational talks and writing, to works of imagination. It fits the general direction my life is taking, but I have yet to see the returns! My fall-back, zone of comfort is - strangely - intense situations where I can feel useful and of service to others. That links up with my past work, of course, as a humanitarian in war and crisis zones. It carries over in my personal life too, as I tend to display a bit of a saviour complex. I must learn, instead, to nourish people's growth, rather than try to save them. That is the Taurus way. In the 12th house, it means nourishing spiritual growth and imagination (in myself and others).

In terms of aspects, my north node opposes my Mars at Scorpio 3 - not a tight opposition, but the position I have for the node is the "true node", so the real north node is a couple of degrees before that. That means my progress towards the Dragons head has been - and will continue to be - in turn energised and undermined by Mars (energised when I use my Mars to fulfill the Dragon's Head goals, and hampered when it impatiently undercuts those slow-moving goals). That means Mars conjuncts the South node: my first thought about that was that in a former life, I was a warrior of some kind - perhaps someone who fought what s/he thought was a just war, a war to serve - like a knight serving his lord - but very intense and possibly cruel. As a result, I came into this life feeling the need to serve people in situations of war and crisis. This is all speculation of course ;)

My North Node is also in semi-sextile aspect with my Venus at Aries 9 - I think that means that it exercises a stabilising influence on my romantic flights :D - but also, that romance can shake my inner stability (all that has in fact been my experience up to now).

I have been using Jan Spiller's wonderful book on the Nodes, Astrology for the Soul. It's an excellent book if you are not, like me, a very advanced astrology student, but know your basics. It's allowed me to understand a lot about myself. Sadly, it's one of the books I left behind - but if I'd known I was going to immerse myself in astrology here, I would have packed it! At least I studied my own nodes with it :)

I have a question for Dad - given the above, how do the nodes play out in our progressed charts? Surely we can't have several karmic destinies? Or do we? (in my case, the nodes are still in the same signs in my progressed chart for today, but a few degrees earlier - it affects the Sabian Symbols, and transits, but not the overall flavour of the nodes).

Indigo Rose

Fudugazi said:
I love the image of the dragon's head (N.Node) and tail (S. Node) to illustrate the nodal axis - so vivid and descriptive.
... My fall-back, zone of comfort is - strangely - intense situations where I can feel useful and of service to others. That links up with my past work, of course, as a humanitarian in war and crisis zones. It carries over in my personal life too, as I tend to display a bit of a saviour complex. I must learn, instead, to nourish people's growth, rather than try to save them. That is the Taurus way. In the 12th house, it means nourishing spiritual growth and imagination (in myself and others).

My tail was also in Scorpio but 28, in the 6th House and head in Taurus 28, in the 12th house. I wonder what the difference in degrees makes between our experiences?

I can relate to what you shared, Sophie. I chose Nursing as a way to be useful to people, and found myself in very intense situations. It seems times of crisis were when I did my best work. I too have had the savior complex; though like you, learning to be a facilitator now rather than trying to be a savior. My own frailties disqualify me from that role; and actually that thinking is not as helpful to people because it creates dependency in them. I have been a major co-dependent my whole life....learning to overcome this though.

With the Taurus dragon's head in the 12th, I feel spiritual learning, growth, and teaching are part of my destiny. In this past few years, I see that I have been on the path of my destiny.

Now I have to look at the interactions between the Nodes and other aspects of my chart, to gain a better understanding.

~:heart:~

dadsnook2000

You heard it here first!

For those who have followed my work here and/or elsewhere, you know that I don't use signs overly much. Natal charts (to a degree) and mundane/political charts are exceptions for me. However, in the case of the Moon's nodal axis, signs are important. The qualities of Scorpio (intensity) and Taurus (nurturing) are evident in your responses and would be generally true and significant in the charts and lives of others with this polarity.

As for the question of whether the degree positions are important, YES they are important because they can form aspect patterns to other planets. The degree location of the nodal axis can also be used to determine and consider the phase relationship between the Sun and/or Moon to the two nodes. This can tell us how we relate consciously and willfully (Sun) or habitually and needfully (Moon) to our associations and skills/talents (Nodes). We have a lot to consider just using these few points in our charts.

I believe it is important to discuss and know about these fundamental chart elements as they can paint clear and broad themes of our lives. From this we can put other sub-themes in place and build a better understanding of what drives us. I think this will be a fun thread. Dave

Sophie

Indigo Rose said:
I can relate to what you shared, Sophie. I chose Nursing as a way to be useful to people, and found myself in very intense situations. It seems times of crisis were when I did my best work. I too have had the savior complex; though like you, learning to be a facilitator now rather than trying to be a savior. My own frailties disqualify me from that role; and actually that thinking is not as helpful to people because it creates dependency in them. I have been a major co-dependent my whole life....learning to overcome this though.
Yes, and with a Pisces sun (sorry Dave), we really have a tough time giving this kind of addiction up! You know, this whole issue of dependency is one of the major reasons that made me leave the field. The whole aid business is geared towards making people or nations dependent on others, and that offends my core beliefs. Bu I had to participate in it before I could draw that conclusion and leave to follow a more congenial route. And even then - after I left the field, I continued working in the aid business until last October. No more.

It's interesting how looking at our charts, and at something as relatively obscure as the nodal axis (in terms of exposure, not importance), will open up whole new lines of thinking in ourselves and our lives. If anything sold astrology to me it was studying - even rather superficially - my nodes, and those of my family, and seeing how well they fit, and how useful it was to know this stuff.

The degree position, by the way, is also important for the Sabian Symbols corresponding that that degree, which I found really illuminated the nodes and brought them alive for me (as usual with Sabian Symbols, the relevant one is that of the degree just above the degree cited, unless it is exactly on the degree, with the Karmic Symbol being the degree cited, and the Quest Symbol being two up. So for example, my North Node at Taurus 8° 41 corresponds to Symbol Taurus 9, its Karmic Symbol is Taurus 8, and its Quest Symbol, Taurus 10.)

Madwenaya

I have Kevin Burk's The complete Node Book. It tells me that with NN in Aries in 2nd house my challenge is to experience myself as an individual, on my own terms. Is anyone falling on the ground laughing yet??

I noticed that during both of the nodal returns in my life I have been independent. I enjoy being alone at those times. The first nodal return I moved out of state (very far away from my mother). And this time I bought the place I live in now without any outside resources (all by myself).

I have Chiron conjunct NN, with Pluto, Jupiter, and Uranus conjunt SN. I have read that for those with planets conjunct both nodes people have to reverse the nodes. I'm don't know if I really understand what that means. In any case, my nodes are involved in the train wreck in the 8th house.

Indigo Rose

dadsnook2000 said:
However, in the case of the Moon's nodal axis, signs are important. The qualities of Scorpio (intensity) and Taurus (nurturing) are evident in your responses and would be generally true and significant in the charts and lives of others with this polarity.

Thank you, it does come through when I read Sophie's take on things and experiences...sometimes I feel very connected to her path and see my own path reflected; though the places, names, and literal events are different the essential direction taken and the lessons seem paralell. Perhaps that is the root of the strange dream I had a couple of years ago about you Sophie. I PMd you about it, and this revelation makes me think it was somehow connected, as there is no logical connection on the "real world plane"; especially because at that time I had read very little of your posts, so it seems odd to me. This gives me some clue as to the root of it.

dadsnook2000 said:
As for the question of whether the degree positions are important, YES they are important because they can form aspect patterns to other planets. The degree location of the nodal axis can also be used to determine and consider the phase relationship between the Sun and/or Moon to the two nodes. This can tell us how we relate consciously and willfully (Sun) or habitually and needfully (Moon) to our associations and skills/talents (Nodes). We have a lot to consider just using these few points in our charts.

Thank you. This is the point where I must do my homework to discover these elements you describe. Currently, it's like I have found an old box covered with dust by discovering my nodes. ;) However I have just barely wiped away the layer of dust to see the label...the name and qualities of the nodes....this is my clue to what may be found inside this box. Now I have to brave it and open that box...so here I go. :)

Fudugazi said:
Yes, and with a Pisces sun (sorry Dave), we really have a tough time giving this kind of addiction up! You know, this whole issue of dependency is one of the major reasons that made me leave the field.

Yes Sophie, sad but true. Co-dependency is a terrible addiction; and I feel Pisces is a sign prone to addictions...of one form or another. I realize there are many other astrological considerations, but as a rule I think the Pisces nature is prone to some type of addiction.

Fudugazi said:
It's interesting how looking at our charts, and at something as relatively obscure as the nodal axis (in terms of exposure, not importance), will open up whole new lines of thinking in ourselves and our lives. If anything sold astrology to me it was studying - even rather superficially - my nodes, and those of my family, and seeing how well they fit, and how useful it was to know this stuff.

I feel this way too. I feel my growing awareness of the nodes has opened a big door to my destiny, and is giving me greater understanding to how my family of origin has fit this pathway.

Fudugazi said:
The degree position, by the way, is also important for the Sabian Symbols corresponding that that degree, which I found really illuminated the nodes and brought them alive for me (as usual with Sabian Symbols, the relevant one is that of the degree just above the degree cited, unless it is exactly on the degree, with the Karmic Symbol being the degree cited, and the Quest Symbol being two up.

Sabian Symbol: this is something I am unfamiliar with, but have heard the term used here frequently. How does one find their Sabian Symbol and what does it represent? If this is too broad to cover in this thread, could you point me in the right direction to a good reference source?

Thanks. :)

Indigo Rose

Thanks Dave, I'm going to check this out right now.