Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

lilith_in_tree

I agree with Peter--I'm sure all of us could come up with a few reasons why this deck or that deck isn't right for us right now, but I think those reasons might be exactly why we should be using this particular deck right now, if we look at them differently.
fluffy, you're being a trailblazer by working with a deck none of us are using! Your interpretation of the cards won't be influenced by anyone else's, you'll have your own personal and unique vision of them when you've done your study. And we are all in this together, our struggles are the same, even if the decks are not.
And I keep finding that even if I think I don't understand a card when I look at it, when I begin to journal about it it opens up for me. Now my deck might not be as multilayered as some of the ones others are using, but I think once you get down to business and start really looking at the cards, intensely, they'll open up for you as well, no matter what deck it is.

bleuivy

lilith_in_tree said:
I'm sure all of us could come up with a few reasons why this deck or that deck isn't right for us right now, but I think those reasons might be exactly why we should be using this particular deck right now, if we look at them differently.

Well said, Lilith! I agree 100%. Perhaps second guessing and cold feet is a sign that we are on the right path with what we set out to do. Hurrah!

Llynn

I, Llynn, pledge that for the period March 21st to June 19th inclusive, I will not use any deck other than the DruidCraft for my card of the day, study (using the accompanying book), and readings. I will put my Hanson-Roberts deck far away from me for this period.

I also use an oracle deck and so for the same period I will change to the Druid Animal Deck instead of my PsyCards.

Looking forward to this study period. Best wishes to everyone.

~~Lynn

Sophie

fluffy said:
I suppose I am a little upset that no-one else has the same deck as me and it feels as though it will be lonely and more difficult without input from another source. However, I am going to try and stick withit and see how it
Ah, the whole point is to build up a personal, one-on-one relationship with a deck. I think you've chosen the perfect deck to do that with, Fluffy, because it is SO very subjective and personal. Nobody would see exactly the same as you do in it!

I feel I've gone in at the deep end too - majors only, with the powerful Sidhe, no book exists for it yet, and I intend to use it for everything, including pathworking and magic.

I did a short 3 card reading with it a couple of days ago, to discuss the IDS with it, and the results were...interesting...I think I have taken on a BIG piece to chew.

(I might post my reading in Your Readings, but I want to write it out longhand first, as that's one of my pledges - even though I am only starting officially on Friday).

oak_woman

If it's any help, Fluffy, I'm thinking of using the Secret Forest too! Just need to make a final decision between the SF, Shining Tribe and Waking the Wild Spirit. Tomorrow's my deadline to stop Lurking, to PM our gracious Founder and to start preparing for the Big Day.

Oddity

lilith_in_tree said:
I agree with Peter--I'm sure all of us could come up with a few reasons why this deck or that deck isn't right for us right now, but I think those reasons might be exactly why we should be using this particular deck right now, if we look at them differently.

bleuivy said:
Well said, Lilith! I agree 100%. Perhaps second guessing and cold feet is a sign that we are on the right path with what we set out to do. Hurrah!

Yes, yes, exactly! It's so easy to pick a favorite deck. But the deck that is not the favorite, the one that feels difficult or boring, that deck is the one you need to spend some time with to get over the threshold of whatever it is that makes it difficult. Now I'm not saying that everything that is difficult is automatically good, just because it is difficult. :)
I think most of us have chosen a deck that we feel positive about, that we feel drawn to for some reason, or at least a deck that we hope we will come to like during the studies. So whatever the deck is, we have not chosen completely wrong.

Getting cold feet only means that you are realistic, and see that there may be difficulties ahead. But then again, it would not be a challenge if it was too easy, right? And getting to know a deck (or anything for that matter) in depth, means you have to keep going through the tough moments, past the point where you would usually give up and quit your studies for something "easier".

So the deck that feels a little difficult at the start, is probably a deck that you will get a lot out of in the end, from this kind of exercise.

Besides, I think any deck, even the most favourite one, will feel a little difficult to use sometimes.

And three months is not a very long time, so if you really feel there is another deck (or several others) that you would much rather have chosen for the studies, no big deal. You can always start another round of IDS studies after this one. I already have found two candidates of my own for future IDSes, after I've wrestled with this one... ;)

Prism

I officially started this weekend, and I've already added four journal entries to my brand new binder. It feels good! To add to my earlier rules, I am planning to stay with this until the Solstice. I just bought a new deck, but I'm not going to use it until June 21. And I'm not going to buy any new ones until the fall equinox (though I still might buy a copy of 21 Ways).

SolSionnach

I just wanted to jump in and say that I'm not going to do the IDS at this time - however, I will be cheering you all on from the sidelines!

Promise

I had originally committed myself to the BG up until Samhain, but in light of some recent health developments, I think I'm going to bump it back down to the 3 month mark. If I'm feeling up to it when it rolls around, I may extend my IDS as I see fit, but as it is, I'd rather focus on my treatment and not push myself well beyond my means, emotionally and mentally.

My BG and I are still in the bonding stage. Tomorrow, I'll begin doing daily draws and such with it. I feel comfortable enough with it at this point to move out of the honeymoon stage and into the icky real world, scary as it is.

fluffy

PeterS said:
Fluffy, we may be using different deck but we are in this together! I look forward to hearing what you learn about your deck.

Peter

fudugazi said:
Ah, the whole point is to build up a personal, one-on-one relationship with a deck. I think you've chosen the perfect deck to do that with, Fluffy, because it is SO very subjective and personal. Nobody would see exactly the same as you do in it!

I feel I've gone in at the deep end too - majors only, with the powerful Sidhe, no book exists for it yet, and I intend to use it for everything, including pathworking and magic.

Thank you so much Peter S and Fudugazi, and for all the other comments, having other people's input really helps, I am going to stick with it for sure. I do love the cards in the secret forest, they have a particular sound they make (a whisper) when you read them. I of course realise that other people have picked particular decks that are also a little different ie. an all majors deck etc and so I will not be alone in my singular study of this deck.

I also did a little reading with it regarding the IDS and the results were very interesting... I promised myself that I would journal all the readings and yet I have done a couple that I haven't journalled, but then we haven't officially started yet, so I forgive myself :)

Thank you all sincerely for helping me through my doubting and cold feet!

Love

Fluffy
xx