Penny Dreadful (TV show) Tarot Deck

Luna-Ocean

The whole deck is interesting, and it's certainly not expensive. I'm attracted to it, but I suspect I'd personally have a hard time reading from it.

I'm not sure about the answer i got from my reading like others had said, my reading said my thoughts were abit scary
and i needed to calm down abit? i think i do need some time out lol.

seedcake

Hmmmmmmmm.

I love the setting and character descriptions of the show, but what I don't understand is why the Tarot deck looks so modern. Everything else about the production is deliciously vintage. I just imagine if you were doing readings for Victor Frankenstein and Dorian Gray you might use a deck that bears more of a resemblance to the Eteilla or Oswald Wirth. Am I the only one who thinks they are a tad too au courant?

So agree. I enjoy the show (I thought it'd be a bigger bomb, at least for my taste), it looks cool, and I'm a huge fan of Eva Green so it's a bliss to watch her. I'm intrigued by the deck anyway but I'm not sure if I'd like to use it for a reading.

Chimera Dust

I'm not sure about the answer i got from my reading like others had said, my reading said my thoughts were abit scary
and i needed to calm down abit? i think i do need some time out lol.

Are you talking about the "online reading" in the second link? I'm pretty sure that that is just intended as a promotional online game for the show, and that the interpretations are supposed to be spooky on purpose to fit in with theme. You'll notice that the interpretation of the third card tends to change from something pleasant to something bleak with an effect of the screen, and at the end the "do you want to share it on social networking?" message is something about demons finding you because your thoughts weren't pure. You weren't doing anything wrong, it's just the show's site fitting the tone of the show.

I posted that link only because it allows you to preview some of the cards, but the link posted in the previous page by jolie_amethyst is much better than mine because it includes all the cards. ;)

I think the person you were quoting was talking about reading with the actual cards, not the gimmicky online reading. The deck was made for this show and is featured in it, which is why the show's merchandise includes a deck just like the one the characters use, and the show's site uses the same designs in that promotional feature on its site.

I hope this helps.

Chimera Dust

Minors are not fully illustrated. http://irio.deviantart.com/art/Penny-Dreadful-Tarot-Cards-449642001 (You may have to zoom in; on my tablet, I had no other way to download or view a larger image, which happens sometimes with Deviant Art's site.) More of the artist's story is also on that page.

The whole deck is interesting, and it's certainly not expensive. I'm attracted to it, but I suspect I'd personally have a hard time reading from it.

FANTASTIC link! Thank you so much! I can't zoom in either but this is a good preview of what the deck is like. :D

I'd love to give it a try. If I end up being unable to read from it, I'd probably just keep it for its aesthetics or give it away.

(Sorry for not replying before. I thought I had but left the tab open with the reply all typed up; I'd forgotten to submit my reply.)

Luna-Ocean

Are you talking about the "online reading" in the second link? I'm pretty sure that that is just intended as a promotional online game for the show, and that the interpretations are supposed to be spooky on purpose to fit in with theme. You'll notice that the interpretation of the third card tends to change from something pleasant to something bleak with an effect of the screen, and at the end the "do you want to share it on social networking?" message is something about demons finding you because your thoughts weren't pure. You weren't doing anything wrong, it's just the show's site fitting the tone of the show.

I posted that link only because it allows you to preview some of the cards, but the link posted in the previous page by jolie_amethyst is much better than mine because it includes all the cards. ;)

I think the person you were quoting was talking about reading with the actual cards, not the gimmicky online reading. The deck was made for this show and is featured in it, which is why the show's merchandise includes a deck just like the one the characters use, and the show's site uses the same designs in that promotional feature on its site.

I hope this helps.

Yes it was the online reading i know its just for entertainment purposes not like an actual real reading, i do really think the cards are quite nice and i'm sure i will watch the new series when it comes to the UK.

littlethings

Just watched the show and think I'm going to like this series. I ordered the cards, and I'm not even sure if I like them!

Oh and if you do order, make sure you look online for a promo code. :)

greatdane

I want the mug....

Metafizzypop

I want Josh Hartnett.............

The cards are just so-so. They look like something designed for a TV show. Since you don't get a good look at them on the program, they don't have to be anything spectacular. And they aren't.

Laura Borealis

Have you looked at the second link I posted with the "online reading"? You can preview the cards on there (it randomly picks three each time to make a past-present-future spread, but if you reload, you'll get three different ones). :) The shop link also has a picture that shows some of the fronts. I hope this helps.

Doesn't work in my browser, it gets as far as laying down one card, but won't turn it over.

greatdane

I couldn't even get that far, Laura Borealis

I hit begin and got nothing but a blank screen.