Penny Dreadful (TV show) Tarot Deck

Metafizzypop

The High Priestess is a cow skull seen through a pair of spread legs, like a Bond movie poster. What about that says High Priestess?

What about that says Bond movie poster?

Metafizzypop

Specifically the poster for "For Your Eyes Only."

Thanks, I couldn't remember that poster, I hadda look it up. I do see where that could make a strange tarot card.

But that whole deck, at least what I've seen so far, looks strange. It looks like someone drew the whole thing in about ten minutes, and didn't put a lot of thought into it. On the TV show, the Lovers cards comes up, and I found it unrecognizable. So odd.

Laura Borealis

It's a scorpion on someone's lips, right? *shudder*

The whole thing is just too stark for my taste, just bare simplistic drawings. There are skulls, snakes, spiders and scorpions, all seemingly just for the sake of spookiness. I can see it having a sort of minimalist appeal, but I need more out of a tarot deck.

greatdane

While I so agree about the deck, as I wouldn't use it, I still want that mug! I can just see the old ladies at my book club now when I go to fill up my cup with hot coffee lol.

Seriously, if one is a follower of the show and just wants the deck as a kind of souvenir or collectible, I understand it. If this is one's cup of tea to read with, great. But thanks to Laura Borealis bringing up the High Priestess which I hadn't seen, that kind of killed it as a reader for me right there.

Queen of Disks

LOVED the show, and I certainly will be watching the rest. :heart: I didn't get the modern deck either (they probably could have at least used a RWS which is closer to the time period and gotten away with it. Probably didn't want to pay US Games the fees.) I do give them credit for not using the Death card trope, however.

seedcake

LOVED the show, and I certainly will be watching the rest. :heart: I do give them credit for not using the Death card trope, however.

I'm going to watch it too.

So agree about your credit. I was thinking that they're going to use Death card and a surprise. Such a little thing but made me kind of happy.

LotusSong

(they probably could have at least used a RWS which is closer to the time period and gotten away with it.

Twenty years before the deck was published?! I'd have had a fit. :/ At lease this deck has non-scenic pips, which is fitting for the time period.

And I agree that drawing The Lovers was a great touch, because I was also expecting the cliche Death or even The Tower. I wonder what she wanted to gain by having him draw a card though, since she smiled at him after he turned it over it clearly meant something to her. A reflection of his character? Foretelling his role to play in events? If he was going to join up with them or not...?

seedcake

And I agree that drawing The Lovers was a great touch, because I was also expecting the cliche Death or even The Tower. I wonder what she wanted to gain by having him draw a card though, since she smiled at him after he turned it over it clearly meant something to her. A reflection of his character? Foretelling his role to play in events? If he was going to join up with them or not...?

Or they're going to be lovers.