Penny Dreadful (TV show) Tarot Deck

Chimera Dust

I think she was using it as a pick-up line of sorts to seduce him and get him to join her team, but who knows. I can see it being foreshadowing too.

For those who can't get the online reading to work, someone posted a link to the artist's Deviantart page where you can get a better look at the whole deck. If you want to use the online app, try to make sure that your Flash and your browser are updated.

Thanks to everyone who has gotten the deck and posted their opinions. The more I hear about it, the more I want to get it. I know the images aren't the most conventional but that's probably why they appeal to me. If several people get them, we could have a study thread, since of the images I've gotten a closer look at, I've enjoyed thinking about the reasoning behind the images depicted.

Just watched the show and think I'm going to like this series. I ordered the cards, and I'm not even sure if I like them!

Oh and if you do order, make sure you look online for a promo code. :)

Thanks for the tip! ;)

By the way...in my online reading all the cards were reversed...and the reading was actually quite lovely! LOL!

I think all or most of the cards on the online reading end up reverse, I think it's supposed to make the flash game spookier. The last card is usually upright and says something positive, then there's a little animation and it goes reversed with a very pessimistic meaning. It amused me.

Chara

I got my copy in the mail last night and so far I love it.

The cardstock is surprisingly decent -- I wasn't expecting much, but there's a nice bounce in the bend. The cards are a dark purple though, and with the minimalist style, that does mean there's not much on the card to hide the fingerprints and smudges.

It comes with an "Instruction" card that functions as the deck's LWB. I've already lost it it, but the keywords managed to both fit with more standardized meanings for tarot while still matching the interesting and spooky choices that went into the deck's imagery.

It's reading very coherently for me as well. It may be from a tv show, but it reads like any other deck in my collection. It doesn't "feel" promotional. And while I wasn't expecting it to be a deck that sugar coats things, given the nature of the show, I was prepared for something that might be a bit cryptic. But the readings have been straight forward and to the point -- sometimes painfully so, but always accurately.

Granted, these are all the thoughts that have come up after less than a day with the deck (much of which was spent sleeping), but I'm quite fond of these cards already.

Metafizzypop

I was doing a search on Yahoo about the TV show, and checking out some images. I found one that was interesting. It was a photo of Vanessa Ives wearing a necklace that had a scorpion pendant on it.

It made me think about that Lovers card again. The card shows a scorpion on a pair of lips. Not just scary for a Lovers card, it's just plain strange. Now Vanessa turns up wearing a scorpion as a piece of jewelry. It must have some relevance. Now I'm really curious.

karen0205

The card stock is nice, I was surprised too. Nice size deck, shuffled nicely.

The pips are not really illustrated, they use the same image and change it slightly
for the minors. I would have liked it if they had taken the time to do a better
interpretation of the minors.

darkbookworm13

I succumbed to the allure

I bought this deck on the 1st, and have been waiting impatiently for it to arrive ever since.

I was watching the episode where Caliban shows up (trying not to spoil it for those who haven't seen the show yet), and seeing the start of his life made me instantly crave the deck. I had to have it, I felt such a link to this character, my own life started out in such a way that I grew up hearing how troublesome of a baby I was. Seeing his pain made me empathize with him. Having this deck would be a good tool for shadow-work and overcoming my own inner monsters.

I can't wait to have the deck in my hands, Amazon is taking its sweet time to ship out my order, it is driving me crazy >_< It didn't ship until today!

Chimera Dust

darkbookworm13, have you gotten your deck yet?

So far, I'm not such a big fan of the show, but I'm still considering getting this deck. It's good to hear that it's not terrible quality and doesn't feel like a promotional deck.

I got my copy in the mail last night and so far I love it.

Thanks for sharing this with us! I still haven't bought a copy and your post is making me want to re-consider.

The pips are not really illustrated, they use the same image and change it slightly
for the minors.

I don't mind pips that aren't illustrated, but it's a little disappointing to hear. Which image(s) do they use for the minors?

GlitterNova

Well, I don't watch the show, but I actually like the design of these cards quite a lot. It's very unique. I like the idea of, instead of an entire scene, the card just shows a close-up of an evocative detail. The minimalism is refreshing to me. Call me sacrilegious but I actually like the look of this deck more than the trendier, minimalist Wild Unknown :) One thing I did notice--in the online reading app the cards are shown as white-on-black with a slight wear. I like that design much better than the glossy white-on-purple of the actual cards.

The Happy Squirrel

Tried getting this but for some reason the supplier of this deck does not ship to where I am :(

gregory

Really ? Well, I just got a notification that the deck is back in stock. BUT - postage to the UK is 50% more than the cost of the deck. Which I think will let me out.)

Chrystella

I like the series a lot and I bought the deck (on a whim) and I haven't been so disappointed in a tarot in a long time. I never review tarot decks on my blog and this one inspired my first review. I don't think I'm supposed to link to it here, but you can find it in my profile.

Despite the show's beautiful aesthetics, I knew I wasn't getting that in the deck. I was prepared for a minimalist tarot. I sprung for the set that comes in the "engraved wooden box". That was the first disappointment. It's not real wood, it's medium-density fibreboard that feels almost like plastic. The whole thing is cheap and shoddy.

I could see the perforations on the edges. A couple of the cards were stuck together. Peeling them apart damaged them so any hope I had of reselling or trading them is gone. I don't think the cards will hold up for long-term use.

The majors are okay. The court cards are okay. The rest of the minors are pretty lazy. It's the same image with more items. The suit of cups shows the same shrouded figure on each card. The only difference is the number of cups on each card. The suit of swords show a rat stabbed by swords on every card. I don't mind dark decks, but that's a bit much.

On the bright side, this deck arrived on the same day as the Wild Unknown and that once exceeded my expectations.