Penny Dreadful (TV show) Tarot Deck

Libra 58

Sorry, but that deck is not my cup of tea.

garmonbozia

My deck arrived today. It's missing the "V of Wands". I always have impeccable luck.

Anyway, I think this is a new printing with different card stock, as this deck shows no signs of perforation marks (where the cards would have been punched out). The card stock is rather nice actually.

Since the deck was out of stock for a bit, this could be different card stock?

sshaman

Background on the deck & its creator

I am a huge fan of the show and after watching Season 2 Episode 3, "The Nightcomers" (http://www.ew.com/recap/penny-dreadful-season-2-episode-3), I decided to buy the deck. I got it on eBay, new, for a little over $20.

Here is an interview with the creator of the cards, Anais Chareyre, who lives in Dublin (where Penny Dreadful is filmed). http://evagreenweb.com/2014/07/26/e...esigning-the-tarot-cards-her-craft-eva-green/

As told in the interview, she was picked from among several artists who submitted work; and then working with the show's creator, designed the cards.

The cards are not extremely well-made. The deck I got has perforations on the top and bottom of each card. The card stock is fairly flimsy. The cards themselves are a deep purple with cream-colored ink, done in reversal. The cards' titles are at top but on close inspection the border line around the title does look hand-drawn.

Now, in the episode referenced above, the deck was originally owned by a witch known as the Cut-Wife of Ballantrae Moor ("Ballantrae" perhaps a reference to a book by Robert Louis Stevenson, "The Master of Ballantrae"). She tells Vanessa to choose a card by feeling them with the tips of her fingers, without touching them. When she pulls a card it turns out to be The Devil.

Without telling the rest of the episode, Vanessa departs and the deck of cards is one of the few things she takes with her.

One other thing, the Cut-Wife character reveals that she lived during the 1600s, which would make her more than 200 years old. The title to her house was given to her by Oliver Cromwell, who died in 1658. She doesn't reveal the origin of the tarot deck.

As mentioned in the interview, the cards used on the show are much larger than the commercial deck. Other than that I would say they are identical. One has to realize that the deck was designed as a prop, not as a usable tool. The artist who designed the deck had never worked with Tarot before, although her graphic art does contain a lot of supernatural elements.

I admire the effort that was made in the creation of the deck, but as a devotee of the Waite deck, I would have to say the depictions therein are more for show (how they would look on the screen, not closely scrutinized the way a real tarot reader would do) than for practical usage. It's a pity, but I don't regret buying them -- I am forced to think of how I would design my own deck.

That said, I do find the line drawings beautiful, strange, and elegant -- but they do not fit in any tarot deck I would be able to work with.

littlethings

There seems to be a couple of different versions of the deck. I got mine last year when they were first available, and there's no perforation marks and the card stock is decent.

The Happy Squirrel

Really ? Well, I just got a notification that the deck is back in stock. BUT - postage to the UK is 50% more than the cost of the deck. Which I think will let me out.)

G,

Karen can help with international shipping only $12

NamasteIndia

The episodes have been aired here in india now. I love the mysticism in each episode.
The way cut wife tells vanessa that tarot is special only gifted can read it