Tarot of Ceremonial Magick Amazon Question

earthair

Thanks for all your help everybody :)
My plan is to order the book from the seller who thinks he actually has the book + deck edition, and take a gamble...if it's just the book, well at least I have the book and I'll then order the Babalon edition of the deck. But if I strike it lucky and this dealer has the set as he says, then whooohooo :D

rwcarter

Either my database is wrong and I don't have a set or if I do have a set, I can't find it. (It's also possible that by "set" I meant "deck and book". I have since begun using both to indicate different things.)

I found a USG deck with ISBN 0-88079-728-2, My book is from Weiser, which I can't image ever being bundled with a USG deck.

Rodney

gregory

Either my database is wrong and I don't have a set or if I do have a set, I can't find it. (It's also possible that by "set" I meant "deck and book". I have since begun using both to indicate different things.)

I found a USG deck with ISBN 0-88079-728-2, My book is from Weiser, which I can't image ever being bundled with a USG deck.

Rodney
That's a relief. I didn't want to mention the book being from Weiser as you are always right :angel:, but I wondered if I were going nuts or if you were :D

earthair - that sounds like a good plan.

Zephyros

With other information such as I Ching sticks, Enochian, Goetia diagrams, Astrological signs on each cards, maybe it is a versatile deck, but if reader is not into all of these things, they tend to muddle rather than help, I felt.

Well, that's kind of like saying a spoon is just a badly made fork. The TotCM is expressly made with all those things in mind, and it has a specific purpose. A reader who wasn't into all those things would certainly do well by choosing another deck.

foolMoon

Well, that's kind of like saying a spoon is just a badly made fork. The TotCM is expressly made with all those things in mind, and it has a specific purpose. A reader who wasn't into all those things would certainly do well by choosing another deck.

Any pictorial tarot deck with too much off symbolism from the tradition is no no for me. I wouldn't use a spoon when having steak and chips, I do need a knife and fork.

Samweiss

Any pictorial tarot deck with too much off symbolism from the tradition is no no for me. I wouldn't use a spoon when having steak and chips, I do need a knife and fork.

Isn't it the point of the deck being a tool for the practising ceremonial magician? I think ToCM more as "777 - the deck". So, if the deck is only used for readings about everyday life, then yes, that can be compared to eating a steak with a spoon. IMO :)

foolMoon

Isn't it the point of the deck being a tool for the practising ceremonial magician? I think ToCM more as "777 - the deck". So, if the deck is only used for readings about everyday life, then yes, that can be compared to eating a steak with a spoon. IMO :)

I feel that the Thoth deck is fine for ceremonial magick practice, and my main use of Tarot is asking about everyday life issues anyways. :)

I think I can use this deck for divinatory readings ok if have to, but decks deviating too far from the tradition doesn't feel right to eyes. You can eat steaks with spoon if you have to I am sure, but you wouldn't feel right :)

earthair

I feel that the Thoth deck is fine for ceremonial magick practice, and my main use of Tarot is asking about everyday life issues anyways. :)

So even if I never get the deck I could use the book and learn ceremonial magick with Thoth? Exxxcellent :cool2:

foolMoon

So even if I never get the deck I could use the book and learn ceremonial magick with Thoth? Exxxcellent :cool2:

Sure, all you need is some books for Ceremonial Magick.
I have a few other Ceremonial Magick books, and they are really enough to start off.

"The Magick of Aleister Crowley' - DuQutte
A few other books by Israel Regardie
"The Essential Golden Dawn" by Cicero
Some other books by Aleister Crowley

Zephyros

In terms of structure and symbolism the TotCM isn't that different from the Thoth. It is decidedly Thelemic (as it should be, being created by Duquette), and the most obvious Thoth throwback is Lust, that has a picture of a snake. It is simplified somewhat in imagery in favor of having those additional attributions, and consequently has a different purpose.

It is not what I would call a "general purpose" deck, although it can certainly be used as such, depending on your reading style. I use mainly those attributions, so I don't mind the images that much (although I didn't actually get it yet).