Starter Deck For My 19-Year-Old Son

Madrigal

My much-younger-than-your-19 yr-old ds likes Illuminati and Vision Quest. Talk about radically different lol.

He's just okay with Robin Wood and so-so with Morgan Greer. Universal RW and Radiant RW make the list, too. He's already gotten picky about depictions of certain cards so some decks he likes but avoids because certain cards just don't do it for him.

What about having him look at various images online. Or, as someone suggested, a copy of your deck since he's already familiar with it.

Cocobird55

Centennial Rider Waite Smith is nice, and comes with a lot of extras.

kalliope

I agree that whichever basic RWS appeals to him most in color and style would be a great choice: PCS Commemorative, Universal, Albano Waite, standard yellow box, LoS Centennial, or Radiant.

I'm with those who think some of the cards in the Robin Wood might be kind of cheesy-dorky especially to a teenager. Not very "cool." (And I say that as someone fond of the deck.) I love the Morgan Greer, but to me it feels a little too pretty in style for a "bit macho" teenaged boy.

The Deviant Moon isn't as dark as one might think -- there's a funky humor to it that he may like. And I'll second Le Fanu's suggestion of Dame Fortune's Wheel. It's bold and colorful, modern but nods to history, and has a wonderful extended LWB available to download for free. The International Icon is broadly appealing and colorful as well.

SarahJoy

I agree with the suggestions of the PCS Commemorative and the Deck of the Bastard. Other more "current" options might be the Wild Unknown and the Llewellyn Steampunk.

velvetina

I'm going to suggest the Thoth.

Because I bought one for each of my sons when they left home for university/circus life.

Because you can approach it in so many, many, many ways. You can study it for ever, or just look up meanings in the LWB. You can be intuitive as you like or explore the Tunnels of Set. You can read Angeles Arrien if you want! I really don't think it matters, although I have my own opinions on that, I've had helpful readings from others & realised they were being influenced by her take on the cards.

Because it is a classic & somehow seemed more appropriate than the Marseille or the Rider-Waite.

Because if they were going to have just one deck, that's the one I'd suggest.

Barleywine

I'm going to suggest the Thoth.

Because I bought one for each of my sons when they left home for university/circus life.

Because you can approach it in so many, many, many ways. You can study it for ever, or just look up meanings in the LWB. You can be intuitive as you like or explore the Tunnels of Set. You can read Angeles Arrien if you want! I really don't think it matters, although I have my own opinions on that, I've had helpful readings from others & realised they were being influenced by her take on the cards.

Because it is a classic & somehow seemed more appropriate than the Marseille or the Rider-Waite.

Because if they were going to have just one deck, that's the one I'd suggest.

Sound advice. My only concern is that it might intimidate a total beginner.

velvetina

yes, it certainly can be intimidating! However it will never be too easy, too simplistic.

One factor in my pro-Thoth sentiment is that 'Back In The Day', the Thoth would have arrived in so many lives without any other source of help than the LWB. And yet so many of us managed to muddle our way though....I remember how I felt when I first 'met' the Thoth...felt way out of my depth & scurried (temporarily) back to the Rider-Waite!

But once you've been bitten, once you've seen it, heard some of the anecdotes (& there's ALWAYS an anecdote with the Thoth!) ......btw, I think that kind of glamour & history & mythology etc is very appealing to a 19-yearold!.....

Of course I'm not impartial at all. But there wasn't any question for me as to which deck I'd want to give my 18/19 year old sons.

(the eldest used his mainly to invent drinking games, the youngest used his for card tricks!)

Essence of Winter

I must add my voice to the recommendations for the Rider Tarot. There is nothing any of the numerous clones add to what it represents and I think it's good sense to start with something trusted that has been in widespread use for so long. It has earned its status many times over.

kimtsan

You should take him tarot shopping and see which one he is drawn to!! :D