Tabula Mundi Tarot: formerly Tarot "M"

Alta

I like these a lot. Especially that Emperor.

tarot heart

I cannot wait for this jewel of a deck to be complete! I love the Hermit, I think it might be my favourite Hermit of all time. Keep up the fantastic work :)

I agree! This may be one of the most beautiful decks I have ever seen. Gorgeous!
You are amazingly talented. Do you think this deck will be available before the end of the year? No rush though...I don't believe genius should be rushed. :)

Babalon Jones

Hi Daphne!

No, I do not mind your comments. Though to me she is pretty bright, so maybe the scan has not translated well to the monitor. Or maybe, lol, you just pictured the Woman Clothed with the Sun as being more dazzling. Understandable, lol!

You do realize I am working with a limited color palette on each of these? It is because I am sticking for the most part with the GD color scales for each card, which means a palette of four colors for each card - with a little wiggle room for artistic license as sometimes the four colors are not enough for the subject matter. And sometimes I mix them.

So for Strength, the colors are Yellow (greenish), Deep Purple, Grey, and Reddish Amber. Not very bright to start with, though I try to work the complements where possible.

While I could have, say, made her wings/feathered robe in technicolor using the complements of Yellow/Green and Deep Purple, I was thinking about Inanna/Ishtar and her association with both lions and owls, and so used the Grey and Reddish Amber to try to get an owl-like look to the feathers. More muted yes, but ties in the symbolism better. To me at least.

I'm not sure how I could have made her any brighter, except made her a blonde, lol, which definitely could have worked for the trump of Leo. But I also was thinking a lot about Durga the invincible goddess of India who rides the lion, and for whatever reason also the Queen of Sheba, Mata Hari, and some other exotic historical personages came up who are usually dark haired.

Anyway when you look at each card keep in mind that I am keeping to a majority of four colors, which can be a challenge. I always get to a point in each card where choosing colors is agony, because I am trying not to deviate too much but have painted myself into a corner, so to speak.

edited to say hi to Tarot Heart and say, my goal is to have it done during this year *fingers crossed* but who knows

daphne

Dear M,

I noticed indeed you are using a restricted color palette. After reading your thoughts on the card and connections you made (like Mata Hari), I started seeing it through your eyes.:)
It makes more sense for me now. I like especially the owl impression!

Babalon Jones

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

In honor of the swishy fishy water out there now (Sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Neptune and Chiron plus tomorrows New Moon are all in Pisces!) I just put up the Hanged Man :THANG, for elemental trump of Water, letter Mem = water (Haha I love that the smilies code for that symbol :THANG is "THANG"... cue "Wild Thing" - the Hendrix version :cool4:)

I also included all of the stages of the art from the ugly pencil sketch to the line inking and then the finished painting in color, in case that kind of thing is interesting to you. Since Pisces is very creative and artistic it seeemed like a timely thing to do. If not, scroll to the bottom for the finished card!

http://blog.rosettatarot.com/2013/0...here-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish.aspx

truelighth

Gorgeous again! I love all the new cards. Wonderful!

sapienza

LOVE IT! This deck is amazing, I feel very lucky to be able to follow the progress and enjoy seeing the different stages in the process.

daphne

This one is haunting!!

Eyebright

Wow I was mesmerized looking at this card! It's absolutely stunning. I'm eagerly awaiting your next offering, this is shaping up to be a breath taking deck :)